Tyres... decisions decisions

Dave-Churchill

Reaction score
Had my GS since June last year and it came with tourances on. covered 10000 miles on 'em and very impressed with grip in dry and wet conditions...
Tread pattern was getting low, so have been lookin around to see what other tyres available. Read many reviews on this site, listened to what mates have on theirs, one has 1200 gsa with battlax's i think, the other has a Capponord with Metz Roadtaech Z6's......
99.9% of bike use is on road, so was considering a full time 'road tyre' like Pilot Road 2'S or Road Techs etc..... but after all my 'research', i've stayed with what I've been very happy with and had fitted a set of Tourances again.... went to Guildford tyres M/C rapid fit centre in 'chilworth' Surrey and very impressed with quick friendly service....

I think you do right sticking to what you know. If you trust them already it's worth a lot. I usually gravitate back to Bridgestones for the same reason, never yet had a bad set of them.

Mich don't do a set of Road 2's for the 1150's. You have to stick with the original Roads.
Bridgestone don't do a front 021 but no problem having a front 020 and rear 021.
I went for orig Tourances in the end as I too was impressed by them.

Mich don't do a set of Road 2's for the 1150's. You have to stick with the original Roads.
Bridgestone don't do a front 021 but no problem having a front 020 and rear 021.
I went for orig Tourances in the end as I too was impressed by them.

lot of adverse comments on other forums about the front BT 021 in particular - uneven wear leading very quickly to very bad handling.

I have 020's on mine at the moment.. when change time comes I'll see whats available. not sure I could go back to tourances though. tbh - the handling of the bike was transformed moving from those to the 020's. how much that was due to the tourances being totally shot - I dont know. but my confidence in these tyres 'seems' much higher. I just love the way they 'tip' into corners...

Recently changed to Michelin Anakee 2's after 30,000 mls feeling the love with good old Tourance's, but have to say after 1500 miles I now feel the love from the Mich's.

Recently changed to Michelin Anakee 2's after 30,000 mls feeling the love with good old Tourance's, but have to say after 1500 miles I now feel the love from the Mich's.

pointless though if you never go off tarmac. unless it's all about image of course. :augie

pointless though if you never go off tarmac. unless it's all about image of course. :augie

Well winter takes me down some nice single tracks in the wilds 020's wouldn't be much cop on them especially when covered in farm cack.
It's certainly not image with me, I have very nearly sold the GS on occasions because of the Ewan wannabe image only the bike is just so good, just glad I found GS's before Ewan n co.

Well winter takes me down some nice single tracks in the wilds 020's wouldn't be much cop on them especially when covered in farm cack.
It's certainly not image with me, I have very nearly sold the GS on occasions because of the Ewan wannabe image only the bike is just so good, just glad I found GS's before Ewan n co.

righty-oh - just seemed a bit odd mentioning Anakees when the OP is definitly road biased. 99% in fact. Plenty of threads about 'off road tyre choices' and rather less about pure road going tyres - for the 11xx

I think you do right sticking to what you know. If you trust them already it's worth a lot. I usually gravitate back to Bridgestones for the same reason, never yet had a bad set of them.

+1 - yes, sometimes change is good but do you need to be taking chances with tyres?

I had 2 sets of [original] Tourances on my GS and they were faultless. Unfortunately, the Metzeler agent in Hong Kong went out of business and I couldn't get a replacement set of Turances :tears . The best alternate option (IMHO) was a set of Pirellis (Scorpion MT 90). These are good tyres and stick nicely, as well as being very good in the wet ... they certainly won't last as long as the Metzelers though but I am happy with them. I would likely go back to the original Tourances, though, if I could get some ...

Stick with the Tourances for now IMHO.

Nick

tourances

My local Protyre will put two new tourances on my bike for 190 pounds including vat.... is that a fair price?

How much does it cost to get bike tyres fitted - in fact will tyre shops fit tyres you haven't bought from them? (Never done the tyres only thing)

Tell em you bought them off them a while back without fitting:thumb

How much does it cost to get bike tyres fitted - in fact will tyre shops fit tyres you haven't bought from them? (Never done the tyres only thing)

I've never been turned away with self supplied tyres.. as for prices it depends.. on whether you 'ride in - ride out' or take in loose wheels.

if loose wheels for gawds sake dont attempt to take off BOTH wheels at the same time. yes... someone did do that (on here) and the pictures gave me nightmares for weeks.

easiest thing is to either ring round and ask.. or simply turn up.

I'm not so sure anyone will turn away business at this time of year.. even if its only £20 - £30 for a pair of tyres fitted and balanced.

i fit tyres for a living , and ive seen some crap thats been sold on ebay , tyres with dates that made them 10 years old (would you)they tend to be old stock most are 2 years old is about the norm,,we fit and bal to wheels for £20 and up to £40 on the bike depends on the bike.

As with anything off ebay its a case of caveat emptor.

but they can't all be crap. always best to ask before you bid/buy I guess.

The British Rubber Manufacturers’ Association said in June 2001 that unused tires more than 6 years old should not be used and that a tire should be replaced 10 years after manufacture.

Thats something I've never paid much attention to. just walked in asked for such and such - watched them get fitted and rode out. Have I been sold old tyres in the past? can't answer that one.

Out of interest - are original pattern Tourances still being made? and if not - how old will the last imported ones be now?

Back
Top Bottom