Anodizing or Powder Coating Services

everywherevirtually

Reaction score
I'm planning on purchasing some 4mm alu sheeting and cutting it to make two panels that will mount onto my SW motech pannier rack. From there I will drill a few holes and mount aux Kolpin (or similar) fuel tanks. Someone did this on the ADV forum but I want to take it a step further and anodize the alu and make it black to be in keeping with the rest of the bike.

Anyone know of a good powder coating / anodizing company? :thumb2

cheers :aidan

Jon

I googled alu and found these guys

http://www.thealuminiumshop.co.uk/a...y_1050A_H14___Common_Commercial_Grade_30.html

I'm after something of a similar thickness to that used on the TT bits. 4mm should be about right. I've yet to figure out how to cut it to shape. Was thinking of a combo of jigsaw/dremmel and then hand finishing before anodizing. If my memory serves me correctly I think anodizing is better for alu and powder coating for other metals. I found somewhere that does powder coating in Winsford but don't know if that is on an industrial scale.

The idea came from this guy.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8457412&postcount=1

424784902_axrYb-M.jpg

I'm hoping to refine it a little with better attachments to the SW motech rack which is flat instead of tubed so I can mount it directly to the frame instead of the flexible strips that this guy has used.

The end result is this

424784982_e6PUa-M.jpg

He has used Kolpin but I've heard they leak so I'll be using Rotopax tanks.

I'm over in Altrincham by the way, just far enough away from Kenny :D

Not too sure i like that idea........

am just thinking the plastic fuel bottles seem really exposed and would take the full "punishment" of an off!

better if they were tucked in behind or under your panniers i.e. where something other than the fuel bottle takes the battering in an off

just my opinion!

how much

I can chuck it in with the next batch of stuff get anodised.Give me a bell on Wednesday and we'll sort something out.I'm just south of Chester on the A41.

Vern 01829 771040

Not too sure i like that idea........

am just thinking the plastic fuel bottles seem really exposed and would take the full "punishment" of an off!

better if they were tucked in behind or under your panniers i.e. where something other than the fuel bottle takes the battering in an off

just my opinion!

how much

I should have elaborated that I intend to put my Ortliebs over them. So the panniers will get it first, in an off. :thumb

An inch of some other protective material between the fuel tank and Ortlieb might also be worth considering. What could be an arse is taking off the pannier, then the fuel tank and then putting it all back on again. I might have a think about linking it into the existing fuel system. :rolleyes:

I can chuck it in with the next batch of stuff get anodised.Give me a bell on Wednesday and we'll sort something out.I'm just south of Chester on the A41.

Vern 01829 771040

Great stuff. I have to buy the alu yet and make this mod but I'll give you a call wednesday and we can sort out the details.

Cheers

Jon:thumb

Back
Top Bottom