Trailer security - what do you use?

techno

Reaction score
Seems like the best place to post this as most of you probably trailer your pogo to distant places..

I am looking for a hitch lock that can lock the trailer to the hitch. I looked on ebay and there are quite a few that just seem to prevent tow-away when not on the vehicle.

Anyone found a better product/solution?

Thanks

Seems like the best place to post this as most of you probably trailer your pogo to distant places..

I am looking for a hitch lock that can lock the trailer to the hitch. I looked on ebay and there are quite a few that just seem to prevent tow-away when not on the vehicle.

Anyone found a better product/solution?

Thanks

I use the tow hitch manufacturers hitch lock to lock trailer on to Wobblybox/car.
I also use a feck off great chain from trailer A bar to chassis [Wobblybox] or tow bar on car.
But since Cordlesss angle grinder/cutters became available last year, only way to stop the scrotes is put a tracker system on the trailer, My box would cost £2000 to replace so it's worth it, and before any smartarse answers thats an EMPTY trailer.
Be worth a lot more with one of my bikes inside...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GPS-real-time-tracking-system-car-van-JCB-lorry-tracker_W0QQitemZ110218637117QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Gadgets?hash=item110218637117&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A4|65%3A15|39%3A1|240%3A1318

GPS tracker no good for this app as it is just a 3 bike trailer and nowhere to put it.

I do use a chain but it is a hassle as the fixing point is under the car and not that secure (it is just the delivery/tow loop). Can't get the chain round the tow bar chassis as there is not enough room.

Just wanted something to shop it being lifted off the hitch (which is actually bolted on so a big spanner would mean bye bye trailer!)

My towball securing nuts are fitted, then the thread battered a bit.
I know I'll have to cut them off if I ever need to change ball, but it's worth it
what make is the hitch ??
I'll find the lock for it :)

Post a pic :thumb2

Just wanted something to shop it being lifted off the hitch (which is actually bolted on so a big spanner would mean bye bye trailer!)

Get someone to weld the bolt heads to the trailer. You'll need to grind them off if you ever need to remove the hitch but how likely is that?

piccys

Here are some pictures of the bar..

Attachments

• hitch 002_small.jpg
    hitch 002_small.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 214
  • hitch 003_small.jpg
    hitch 003_small.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 218
Standard ERDE DAXARA lock will fit.:thumb2 around £7 IIRC with 3 keys
Locks it on the car and off the car, just remember to activate hitch to close as if on trailer before inserting lock :augie

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRAILER-HITCH-COUPLING-LOCK-FOR-CAMPING-BOX-CAR-BOAT_W0QQitemZ110334954418QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Trailers_Transporters_Parts?hash=item110334954418&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A4|65%3A15|39%3A1|240%3A1318

^^^^^ Thats one :)

trailer

It is not an ERDE trailer, it's a De Graaff, but as it has the keyhole I will give it a go.
Thanks for the info and help.

It is not an ERDE trailer, it's a De Graaff, but as it has the keyhole I will give it a go.
Thanks for the info and help.

LOL, I didn't say it was:rolleyes: Just that the ERDE / DAXARA hitchlock will fit :thumb2

I do have a little experience with trailers:augie:augie:augie:augie
from 5cwt to 250 tonnes [Transformer from GEC Stafford]

DSCF0552.jpg

DSCF0490.jpg

littleHymer-1.jpg

Trailer.jpg

BarbBabyandBanana.jpg

By the way, get some ACF50 on the hitch and some LHM grease inside the workings, otherwise it will file itself away in no time..
Always remember to grease your balls :)

I drilled through the bar, and then fitted a long shackle padlock.

When i took the trailer anywhere i would try to put the trailer up against a wall or something solid then drive the car over the A frame..

If its for use at home / storage look at chaining it to a ground anchor type arrangement.

I enlarged the holes in the rim for the purpose....

ok you clever lot... how do I secure a bikelug/motolug?

The only way I can think of is some kind of looped alarm system, and run a cable through all the parts - but I guess you can foil that easily enough :(

no point in a hitch lock as you can simply release the hitch from the rest of the trailer... its all designed to come apart you see :D

Always remember to grease your balls :)

So whats the best grease to use on ball and is there a special technique for applying it?

ok you clever lot... how do I secure a bikelug/motolug?

The only way I can think of is some kind of looped alarm system, and run a cable through all the parts - but I guess you can foil that easily enough :(

no point in a hitch lock as you can simply release the hitch from the rest of the trailer... its all designed to come apart you see :D

So whats the best grease to use on ball and is there a special technique for applying it?

Q1 >>> Has your bikelug got the securing pins to take"R" clips?? if so drill out slightly and use hardened small padlocks in ones securing front part..
Otherwise use long shanked 12mm [same size as securing pins] padlocks instead of the pins....

Q2 >>> I use an old split tennis ball, put a little thick lhm grease in it, slip it over ball, whiz round, slip off and bobs yer uncle..
put ball on a string on trailer you're bound to find a nook or cranny somewhere :thumb2

Techno,

If the lock suggested by Proff doesn't work for you (I tried one on my trailer when I first got it but it just fell out :(), just get a long shanked padlock.

Something like THIS might do the trick?

Assuming your trailer is like mine, there's a hole under the Red Cross once you hitch up to the car?

If so, you can pass one side of the padlock's shank through the hole, and the other across the arm of the trailer, and lock it so that the lever can't be lifted to unhitch the trailer anymore.

You can do the same when the trailer is not hitched up, but you have to flick the locking mechanism inside the hitch (which is usually mucky). I keep a petrol station diesel glove for going this.

Obviously anyone with a bolt cropper is not going to be stopped by this idea, but it does deter the casual thief.

Hope this helps...

Q1 >>> Has your bikelug got the securing pins to take"R" clips?? if so drill out slightly and use hardened small padlocks in ones securing front part..
Otherwise use long shanked 12mm [same size as securing pins] padlocks instead of the pins....
Smart thinking Proff! I hadnt thought about that one, I wasnt sure the pins where think enough but yep, they take R Pins or similar.

Q2 >>> I use an old split tennis ball, put a little thick lhm grease in it, slip it over ball, whiz round, slip off and bobs yer uncle..
put ball on a string on trailer you're bound to find a nook or cranny somewhere :thumb2
I was only being cheeky with this one ;)

Standard ERDE DAXARA lock will fit.:thumb2 around £7 IIRC with 3 keys
Locks it on the car and off the car, just remember to activate hitch to close as if on trailer before inserting lock :augie

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRAILER-HITCH-COUPLING-LOCK-FOR-CAMPING-BOX-CAR-BOAT_W0QQitemZ110334954418QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Trailers_Transporters_Parts?hash=item110334954418&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A4|65%3A15|39%3A1|240%3A1318

^^^^^ Thats one :)

Cheers for that post - I needed a new one of those for my Erde.

Ta

Paul

When we were karting, I fitted my trailer with a tamperproof hitch. Al-Ko I think. Around 75 notes at the time.

Had an integral hinged dummy tow ball that locked in place when trailer was not attached to car. Needed a fancy key to hitch and un-hitch every time. Gave me great peace of mind compared with some scumbag relieving me of my trailer in some service station, or whatever.

Back
Top Bottom