FIA Standard Noise Limit (for Motox?)

LiquidLAN

Reaction score
Hi guys, does anyone know what the limit is and have any idea how I can find out if I comply before I pitch up to an event?

I've done a search and I think it's 94 or 96 aB/A but I've not got a clue what that is in real terms or how to test it

The only real test is to run it by a noise meter, but before that, what bike is it, what exhaust is on it, and how "loud" is it compared to other bikes of the same ilk?
Not entered a MX event for some time, but all Enduro events are now (quite rightly) concerned about noise. All the regs state that there will be a noise meter in attendance, and that any that do not comply will be turned away. In most circumstances, at scrutineering they only test those bikes that have a non-standard end can on, or a brand of exhaust known to be noisy. After scruting, if your bike stands out as excessively loud, you will get invited to meet the meter man/woman. Rightly so, IMHO.
My Honda still has the baffle in the silencer, because the extra half a horsepower is no use to me if there is nowhere to ride.
Mark

As far as i'm aware (for Northern Ireland anyway) the noise limit is 96db for MX and for enduro and cross country events it is 94db. If your bike has a standard exhaust on it then you shouldn't have any issues at all unless it hasn't been repacked for some time. If it's a recently produced aftermarket exhaust then it should be well within the limits as most manufacturer's don't produce exhaust's that are not within the limit's as they don't sell anymore because no-one wants to get turned away from a days racing for the sake of an extra 1 or 2 hp. If its an older system then it may well fall outside the limits and you could be in trouble, you can pick up a universal db killer insert from the states I think for around $40 called a db dawg. Might be worth it to invest in one to take with you incase you fail scrutineering, just a matter of popping it into the exhaust and taking it back to the testers. I ran a full DEP system on my RMZ 250 last yr and it was quiter than the standard system and I had no problems at all with noise testers!

Hope that helps you out.

Mark.

Thanks guys, with your help and a bit more research I think I'm pointed me in the right direction.

It's a Yamaha WR450F with an FMF Q pipe (I've got a receipt from the previous owner for exhaust packing for a Q and the pipes for Q stamped on the end). Model number TC4.5000 which I think means its a Q2 so should be max noise level of 96dBA so I should be in the clear I hope.

I know what you're saying Earth, hate noisey pipes, but I do love the sound of a thumper, the bike came with this one fitted and while it's louder than my 250, understandably, its not really any louder than any other bike I've come across.

Looks like it was probably fitted and packed back in 06 so I'll take a look and see what the packing is like. Thanks for the tip on the DB Dawg, I'll have a look at getting one, looks like a useful thing to have, just in case...

just a couple of notes the international governing body for bikers is the FIM the FIA is for cars so you will not find it on there web site.
next thing is i don't think your going to enter a world MX round i presume your onlyy looking at entering a local MX so the national governing body of the UK is the ACU and the web site is www.ACU.org.uk or something simailer on the web site it's possible to download the standing regulations for a particular sport that will have the latest noise regulations regarding the discipline your going to enter.
amazingly the FMF Q pipes used to fail the noise test at enduros so i would be causous at a event might be worth repacking before going to a event.

Best bet find a local club meeting doing the discipline your interested in and go along to a few evening meetings and a few races there friendly people and can be helpful.

as a note all reg's say a noise meter operator will be present and bikes will checked I rode British championship class enduro and some MX for some 15 years and i might have been tested a dozen times.

Cheers Brian, you're right, it might explain why I was having problems googling for my answers earlier :confused:

It's all for the REME event, I got confirmation through this morning and just wanted to work out where I stood. It's only the second official event I've entered, just dont want to end up sent away at the start if I can avoid it.

Repacking and getting a dB Dawg seem good steps to take and should be easy enough, though until someone actually tests it, it's all a bit subjective

better safe than sorry though.

Back
Top Bottom