Tuorance EXP,s

wreck diver

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,Has any one fitted the new Metz Tourance EXP,s?
are they much better/different from the old Tourance,s?
cheers. I am looking to replace the Bridgestones on my 1150 GSA.

I 've just taken a rear EXP off.....it seemed to square off very very quickly.

+1 for the original style Tourance......I think Metzeler will continue to produce them as there are so many old 1100s and 1150 riders who still use them.

I get around 12,000 miles from a rear Tourance (old-style) on my '04 1150 GSA.

I tried an EXP on the rear, but at 3,700 miles realised it wasn't going to last out my forthcoming European tour (4,000 + miles) - so binned it.

I'm back on the old Tourances now and had no problems doing the Alpine Passes :thumb2

The EXP is probably stickier, but only lasts half the miles of the old one.

I guess it all depends on how you ride.

Bob.

Last edited:
If you are getting 12,000 miles out of a rear tyre, you must be like a pensionable snail :JB

I am a mobile chicane for pensionable snails. :Motomartin

If you are getting 12,000 miles out of a rear tyre, you must be like a pensionable snail :JB

Ye got the first bit right:D

Tourance 5k rear:thumb2
Exp worst tyre I've ever had both front and back shot at 2k
Bike had some horrendous tank slappers over 110 front went V shaped with a 3/4 inch square in the middle:mad:

Ask Alte what my bike handled like on the way to the Wigwambams

+1 for the original style Tourance......I think Metzeler will continue to produce them as there are so many old 1100s and 1150 riders who still use them.

I think you mean wise:rob

err... I know a 23yr old GSA rider who sometimes lurks on this site but kindly informed me that he won't join as its full of old farts.:blast

I wasn't too enamored with the EXP's from the word go but they got worse as they wore, which they did pretty quickly.
A thoroughly cack tyre. I don't rate the original tourance that highly either, sure, they last long but I found they tend to let go suddenly then grab again when cornering enthusiastically.
If you want a road biased tyre Continental trail attacks are the kiddies:)

:blast

Well, I'm not as fast as a certain H.R.H. that I know :augie.

And I realise that I was holding up the other Tossers by only doing an indicated 80 in the 60mph stretches of the A9 the other day (judging by the number that passed me).

I use the 1150GSA as a long distance touring bike and don't pretend its a sportsbike, anticipate changes and hazards and try to avoid violent acceleration and braking.

I can happily chug along all day like that as its far less stressful to an old fart like me. I have done over 1,000 miles in a day (Edinburgh to Southampton and back) and was fine when I got home.

Long tyre life is a bonus - not an objective :D.

XPs still wear out too quickly though.

Bob.

Fitted a new Exp front and an old type Tourance on the rear prior to last year's European jaunt. The front has been replaced after 9,000 miles, the rear is still going strong. And that's on the more powerful 1200 :augie

Back
Top Bottom