G650 v F650?

barrym

Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm seriously considering a G650X-Country and want some advice. I've has an F650GS until recently when it was taken from me by a white van man:mad: Fortunately no damage to me.

So what is the G like in comparison? Specifically the engine. I know the quirks of the F, I did 19k on the GS and some 40k+ on a CS previously, so I know what they are like. But how different is the G with the modified tune?

I know that the tank range is a lot less. I used to get 300 from my GS quite regularly (you can tell that I'm quite a gentle rider). However I currently have a Bonneville which only does 160 or so, and have got accustomed to that now, so as long as I can get close to that I shan't be too unhappy. There's always the option of an auxiliary tank I suppose.

Anything else I should consider?

I shall see about a test ride once I've got close to making a decision.

TIA

Barry

300 miles on a tank???? a 650 tank???? holy cow thats 100+mpg

i know there good but even the best of them was only 70/75 mpg

if memory serves me right, they are a 17lt tank, so 3 an a bit gallons?? bloody ell

Well that's the truth. It is just over 17 litres, and by my calculations I used to get 83mpg or there abouts. I must admit I used to fill up at 270 mostly (that's 3 days commute and I worked a 3 day week) but on a good number of times I did take it over 300. It was running on fumes for sure, I seem to remember getting over 16 litres in.

It was very predictable on my regular ride, with the same traffic conditions and my gentle riding style. I never got caught out. Unlike my Bonneville which I ran out on (admittedly only 100yds from home) withing a few weeks:comfort

So, you can see I'm impressed with these engines hence wanting a XCountry. The new yellow ones should match my complexion:toungincheek

Hi
I have a XChallenge and previously had 2 Dakars

I think the G series is more modern and better built in terms of spec

However there are less craeture comforts on the G compared to the F

For a dirt bike dualsport the XC is perfect for me

fumes?, must be fresh air at that rate:eek:

Depends what you want from the bike, sounds like you commute alot, and as johnnyboxer says, the gs offers better creature comforts, but as far as the engine go, i believe the original rotax fitted to the F, was given to the Chinese to copy for the G, and therefor not rotax, but i could be wrong.
Either way though the standards must be up to scratch.

As far as the engine goes, i believe the original rotax fitted to the F, was given to the Chinese to copy for the G, and therefore not rotax, but i could be wrong.

Not quite correct

All the 2007 built G650's have Rotax engines,built in Austria and in a higher state of tune, with more torque and HP (53hp v 50hp in F650GS) than the F650GS Rotax motors

XMoto's and XChallenge were only built in 2007 and not in 2008 - now only built to order

XCountrys were also made in 2007/2008 which have Rotax motors - built in Austria

In 2009, the XCountry has been re-launched (so has the F650GS, as a G650GS btw) and motors for those will be made to the 'Rotax spec', by Chinese engine builder, Lonchin (sp)

All G450X motors are built in Taiwan, under licence by KYMCO

Ah so its the later ones that have the Chinese engine, i kinda knew something had happened, i just thought it was on the G.:confused:
As i said, i stand to be corrected. :bow

i really really do fancy a xchallenge, but unless i sell my r1100s it aint gona happen, but then again i dont want to sell that either!! catch 22 i understand

Hi
However there are less creature comforts on the G compared to the F

OK, so what specifically? I know you can't get grips, but what about the seat? Is it comfortable (well as good)? It looks OK on the Country, the others look a bit more 'focused'.

You can get a screen (BMW and parabellum, probably others), luggage, etc.

How about lights? An improvement on the adequate GS ones?

I appreciate that yours is the Challenge. Maybe others who have ridden a Country could jump in.

Apart from the tank size, and they must have a reason for making it so small, I thought the Country was the 'new' GS, until that was they brought out the 'NEW' GS which seems to take up the same market space.

Now, if they brought the GS into the UK that would be a different issue. But apparently not:(

OK, so what specifically? I know you can't get grips, but what about the seat? Is it comfortable (well as good)? It looks OK on the Country, the others look a bit more 'focused'.

You can get a screen (BMW and parabellum, probably others), luggage, etc.

How about lights? An improvement on the adequate GS ones?

I appreciate that yours is the Challenge. Maybe others who have ridden a Country could jump in.

Apart from the tank size, and they must have a reason for making it so small, I thought the Country was the 'new' GS, until that was they brought out the 'NEW' GS which seems to take up the same market space.

Now, if they brought the GS into the UK that would be a different issue. But apparently not:(

Never ridden a Country, so can't comment specifically

But mine has a zippier engine and better handling than a Dakar

Downsides on the XChallenge are range and seat, but these can be overcome for ££££

Screen is easy fix now, I use an Airblade for £45

MPG is better on the XC

Luggage, there are options for £££, but I use and Ortlieb bag and a Wunderlich Airhead tankbag

Wolfman do excellent soft luggage for the G series

Hardpanniers for TT or H&B

Lack of Heated Grips is a bummer, but Winding Roads do a workable option for less than £40

Back
Top Bottom