XChallenge OR Tenere 660

Rushy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Probably should have posted this in the Thumpers section but here we go.

Mate of mine has owned a Yammy XT660X for the past 2 years for thrashing around the lcoal roads of Yorkshire and a short commute to work. The X model is the one with the road wheels,suzzys, brakes and tyres . Supermotard stylee.

He's thinking of doing a bit of offroad (cant really afford 2 bikes) possibly the very occasional camping trip so he's thinking of the Tenere BUT I suggested he also looks at the X Challenge. Now forget luggage carrying ability for a moment 'cos he's quite adept at travelling light , what are the pro's and cons of each and specifically how vibey is the beemer /whats it like on longer trips ? I've no idea how that engine compares to the F650 engine.

He's also concerned that the X Challenge will be an obsolete model in a years time. Will this have a negative effect on values OR do we think it will help it to continue to be a desirable used machine ?

Over to you lot :thumb2

bike

hi there.if your talking about the new xt660z then theres no choice?my mates just bought one and he says its fantastic.as soon as i sort out my money im haveing one.put the two together and i think the yam is a better biuld.and probably wont lose as much money as the bmw.but in the end its up to what your mate wants.hope he's hapy anyway.any bikes better than none:clap

The XChallenge is not that good at speeds over 50 in standard form because the wind blast gets too much over long distances. Some people have used a small screen to rectify this and claim it works well. I use mine for a short commute to work (less than 10 miles and 40mph max) and off-roading and it suits me very well. If I was doing a longer commute or it was my only bike, I would probably go for something other than the XC, and the Yamaha would be on the list to try.

Tenere, cheaper, probably more reliable, better at distance (if he decides to) only slight downside is Yam will be too heavy for real tight stuff but trail and odd mudfest should be ok. i spoke to a dealer when the X came out and even they think its a white elephant.
If he wants an X get a cheap 2nd hand one, you also find that jap dealers shy away from bmw's come p/x time, they don't know what to do with them.

Is the X-Challenge the one with the horrific 70 hr service? If so, that alone would put me off in favour of the Yamaha but I've also heard very good things about the new 660z.

Is the X-Challenge the one with the horrific 70 hr service? If so, that alone would put me off in favour of the Yamaha but I've also heard very good things about the new 660z.

No..................that's the 450X:blast

XC's are cheap and very good value for money

Lotta bike for the money and probably slightly better VFM and built than a Italian built Yam

Check out Adv rider first, you'll get a lot of info on both bikes

Big Offroad -XC for me..................I wouldn't even consider a XT660Z, as the XC is in a different league

Speaking as a Tenere owner who has ridden an X Challenge
I think it depends on what he wants it for. They are very different bikes IMO

Tenere = small GSA
X-Challenge= small HP2

Proper off road stuff or twisty lanes the XC will slaughter the Tenere providing you have the ability to use it. Where the Tenere wins is riding 300 miles fully loaded set up camp then go for a wee trip off road. It’s a bit more of a do it all bike.

They are both great bikes but in different ways

Stumpy

Thanks for the replies so far.

His options;
He can get a new unreg standard 08 XTZ Tenere for £4300 and he's also found a 500 mile 6 mth old Xchallenge with a couple of extras at a dealers for £3950.

i spoke to a dealer when the X came out and even they think its a white elephant.

From that I could deduce that they didnt anticipate big sales but would that be because althought its a great m'cycle its too niche OR is that because it aint very good :nenau

The X Country gets rave reviews 10/10 from all the mags I've seen it in , the X Moto less so and I've not really seen any reviews of the X Challenge . However, they are essentially the same m'cycle aren't they?

Stumpy's post is spot-on.

You'll find XChallenge reviews in TBM, where it is highly rated. Craig Bounds has been outright winner of UK rallies on an XCh, and you don't do that on a dodgy or even an average bike.

Stumpy's post is spot-on.

You'll find XChallenge reviews in TBM, where it is highly rated. Craig Bounds has been outright winner of UK rallies on an XCh, and you don't do that on a dodgy or even an average bike.

Exactly

The XC is the best dualsport and trail bike I've had, by a long way

It is very,very good offroad and its ability is very good despite the 140kg dry weight. Riders of more hardcore pure Enduro bikes are suprised by its skill

Didn't see any virtually stock Teneres in this years Dakar:augie - but Pavey and Bounds were on stock chassis (save for some suspension mods) and motors with their XC's

However, like the HP2 the XC is very niche for most UK BMW dealers - so no wonder they aren't keen to sell it

In America, it is no becoming very sought after - now that most people have realised how good it is

The new KTM 690 has copied much of the XC design features - go figure (it can't be that bad)

If you want to ride dirt - buy the XC

If you want to ride mainly road, with some dirt - buy the Tenere

I'm happy riding road miles on my XC, it sits very happy at 80mph + on motorways and as JB says it can win rally's in the hands of the right rider.

I've also seen them thrown around the dawn to dusk at a top ranking pace.

Whats been said on the poxitive side is why i suggested the XC to my mate. I've seen some really positve comments on here from JB an several others.

So what would you say the X Challenge would be like as your sole bikebased on the criteria in my first post. Whats it like if you want to take a weekends worth of camping gear with you and ride from York to the Western Isles , ride some lanes and then ride home again. There are some photos of a few 'adventurised' ones knocking around. Rallye screen , more fuel capacity and your off or will it still be majorly hard going compared to the XTZ or maybe me a dakar or even a 640 Adventure?

Whats been said on the poxitive side is why i suggested the XC to my mate. I've seen some really positve comments on here from JB an several others.

So what would you say the X Challenge would be like as your sole bikebased on the criteria in my first post. Whats it like if you want to take a weekends worth of camping gear with you and ride from York to the Western Isles , ride some lanes and then ride home again. There are some photos of a few 'adventurised' ones knocking around. Rallye screen , more fuel capacity and your off or will it still be majorly hard going compared to the XTZ or maybe me a dakar or even a 640 Adventure?

I have not ridden either of the other bikes, but a screen of some type will make the XC much better on long journeys, but then you need more range, better seat, luggage etc etc. These can be done quite cheaply:
Airblade screen - 45
Sheep skin - 10
Extra fuel container (not spangly custom ones)
Throw over panniers

Or they can be done with Touratech as per the bikes you have seen:
Rallye Fairing - 1000
Fuel tank - 500
New front springs - 100
TT Paniers - 1000?
Custom seat - 200?

Anything is possible with enough $$$$

Ok...................some pics of a touring XC, which did 1850 miles to the Pyrenees and back............camping

This chap's mods probably came to less than £500 for the racks/panniers(ebay)/Tankbag & panniers/Airblade screen and Acerbis fuel tank on the rear rack

dsc00697_w600_h450.jpg

His playmates

dsc00702_w600_h450.jpg

dsc00731_w600_h450.jpg

Ferry bound

dsc00705_w600_h450.jpg

Extra fuel

dsc00758_w600_h450.jpg

Not my bike, but full report here

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7894620#post7894620

The XC is very versatile from touring to Xtreme dirt..............which I doubt the Tenere could manage.

I doubt a Tenere would live up to any of this type of dirt performance

Attachments

• P0030534.jpg
    P0030534.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 731
  • P0030542.jpg
    P0030542.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 712
  • P0030544.jpg
    P0030544.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 727
  • P0030537.jpg
    P0030537.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 752
Also in the XC's favour is the fact that 1 man is all that's required to roll it up a ramp into the back of a van ;)

Back
Top Bottom