Fancied a Classic British single - And bought two this weekend

Toe Down

Reaction score
I've been looking for a pre-60's classic single for 4 months now and have missed a couple of nice bikes (both sold to Germans who now enjoy a 30% discount at current exchange rates!)

After joining clubs, scanning the web and buying all the classic mags, I finally tracked down two possible candidates. I drove to a 350 mile round trip to see the first one which I agreed to buy (A 1954 Norton ES2 500 in great condition). I then saw a second bike from my wish list advertised on the net when I got back home. Of course it was only 40 miles from where I'd just driven!

So like buses you wait for ages and then two come together. I ended up buying the second bike (A 1959 Norton Model 50 Wideline 350) on spec based on the photos and a long call with the current owner.

I rented a van and headed off at 4.45 a.m. on Friday morning and finished offloading them at 6.00 p.m. that evening after 400 miles.

Managed to take both of them out on Saturday before the bad weather and gritters took hold and they were a real hoot. They both tickover at stunningly low revs. The ES2 needed an MOT as it was held on a SORN and it sailed through the test.

Free classic road fund licences and fully comp insurance at £47 each (including full breakdown, relay, homestart cover) should mean low running costs. On the downside, and as expected, they're not exactly oil tight and both sit on newspaper lined trays and I may need to plan bulk oil deliveries going forward.

It takes a few miles to get the hang of a) useless period brakes, b) one up, three down gearbox shift patterns and c) a foot brake/gearchange on the 'wrong' side. Makes for some interesting moments.

Overall I'm pretty chuffed and looking forward to some relaxed summer riding and the bark of an old single on the overrun.

Attachments

• Model 50_low.jpg
    Model 50_low.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 909
  • ES2-Grey.jpg
    ES2-Grey.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 911
Both beautiful :thumb Love those big Brit singles. I had a 1959 Model 50 as well, the Featherbed frame was a revelation after wobbling about on flexi-Triumphs and Beezers. Seem to remember that the brakes were OK but I guess it's all relative to the road speed of Ford Populars and Morris Minors :D Mind, I swapped the 50 for an 88 with a tls front brake which put things into perspective a bit.

Here's a pretty grainy b/w pic of a very young me and the Mod 50,(with open face helmet and goggles as specified :D):

Attachments

• mod50a.jpg
    mod50a.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 834
Both beautiful :thumb Love those big Brit singles. I had a 1959 Model 50 as well, the Featherbed frame was a revelation after wobbling about on flexi-Triumphs and Beezers. Seem to remember that the brakes were OK but I guess it's all relative to the road speed of Ford Populars and Morris Minors :D Mind, I swapped the 50 for an 88 with a tls front brake which put things into perspective a bit.

Here's a pretty grainy b/w pic of a very young me and the Mod 50,(with open face helmet and goggles as specified :D):

that looks like vic reeves ( from vic reevs show) images (1).jpgon ye bike :D

ugg

Nice

They look really great, (check out e-bike insurance 4 bikes on 1 policy and up to 4 riders too) :rob for the same reason you mention, the gearbox and brake being on opposite sides and the wrong (or maybe not) way up n down to change gears (plus riding them in India for 4 years whilst on hols) I bought a Royal Enfield sixty five (535cc conversion), it had been featured in the Gun, the Enfield owners mag, it's previous owner had ridden it from lands end to John O Groates, with no probs, I've owned it for 5yrs and love it, raised the gearing and it chuggs along at 55 to 65 on the wobbly clock, returning 80 to the gallon, lovely way to relax on a summers eve, highly recommended, you get used to the retarding devices, can't really call them brakes by today's standards, happy riding, still haven't got the hang of posting pic's luckily for all! kind regards Dusan :thumb2

Well done

So you got both of them in the end, well done. :clap:clap
Really hope you enjoy them, it'll be interesting to see which becomes your favourite, they are so different from riding anything remotely modern. Hope to see them sometime

Nick

They both tickover at stunningly low revs.

A wee mpeg of mine after the dry build.
It reved lower if the ignition lever was pulled all the way back, this was on about half retarded.

Smashin bikes, enjoy them. :thumb

very nice, both of em.
how does the handling compare, is the featherbead any better.
a mate of mine races a model 50, but it's a bit older than yours, and i would think a bit quicker.Come and have a look at the vintage club race meetings, they're much more interesting than modern ones.

Attachments

• DSCN2066#001.jpg
    DSCN2066#001.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 734
That's what he thought until he rode it at three sisters and nearly t boned a very nice velo because of front brake fade,:blast then in the next race came off and broke his wrist because the exhaust grounded. Should be better this year, it's got a high level pipe now, and i'm lacing a new 8" hub into the front wheel with better linings, it should also hopefully be quicker with a higher comp piston and stronger rod and a few other twiddles to get the jetting right for methanol.

they're not exactly oil tight and both sit on newspaper lined trays QUOTE]

They look like fun "Not that I can remember oil leaks my dad use to tell me about em" Ha Ha lol:):augie

I used to use a lot of Locktight never understood why it had to be Red!

great bikes though see www.bikerpals.co.uk all kinds of transport.

Big D:)

You should enjoy those, they both look in cracking good order. Contrary to what many think these old bikes can be reliable ,I got a super rocket about 5 years ago and use it every summer,done about 5k miles on it including a trip around the Picos and have never had any trouble at all. Was thinking of selling to get a single recently but didnt bother as it is so reliable and such fun to ride. A run through the countryside on a nice summers day with the exhaust barking as only an oldun can is magic and proves you dont have to be going fast to enjoy bikes.

Thanks everyone for your comments and details of your own classic bike experiences. Can't wait to get them on the road again (that'd make a good title for a song) when the weather improves and the salt's been washed away.

Roll on Spring!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OrljWGIHB7c&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OrljWGIHB7c&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

OR;

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hcXVUi35Y4Q&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hcXVUi35Y4Q&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I DO like that ES2 !!

Still Looking

Thanks everyone for your comments and details of your own classic bike experiences. Can't wait to get them on the road again (that'd make a good title for a song) when the weather improves and the salt's been washed away.

Roll on Spring!

I am still looking for something so if anyone sees anything sim let me know plaes.D

Back
Top Bottom