Stud extractor ... wassat then ?

oblertone

Strawberry fields ... forever
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm replacing the exhaust (and other bits) on my MT350/500 hybrid and have a stuck exhaust manifold stud.

I'm no mechanic but I've heard of things called 'stud extractors' so it seems these might come in handy in my predicament; problem being, I havent (knowingly) got one and don't know how they work so a few simple questions:

1) Do they come in sizes or is it 'one-size-fits-all'
2) How do they work
3) Are there different types

The stud in question is not broken or damaged, just immoveable using the 'two-nut' technique. I don't mind if it gets damaged on extraction as I'll fit new ones anyway, just need to get the bloody thing out !

Answers on a postcard please ... or on here :augie

mixture of 3in1 oil and vinegar, use small brush to work in, leave for around an hour, gentle heat with gas blow lamp on the actual head around but trying not to directly heat the stud, and try the 2 nut system again.
Stud extractors :mad::mad: Stud butchers and snapoffs is my experience :mad:

If it`s not broken or damaged, why are you wanting and trying to remove it ??

P.S. Stud extractors do indeed come in different sizes and types.....and as Proff has already said....if the 2 nut method hasn`t worked,you`re en route to shearing off a stud with any other non heating/penetrating fluid method.

If it`s not broken or damaged, why are you wanting and trying to remove it ??

P.S. Stud extractors do indeed come in different sizes and types.....and as Proff has already said....if the 2 nut method hasn`t worked,you`re en route to shearing off a stud with any other non heating/penetrating fluid method.

wot he said.

stud extractors are very much a last resort, and any use of them usually ends in tears.

Without stating the obvious, have you tried tightening it a bit first. Sometimes its just enough to loosen it's grip.

A little light ...

... begins to flood the scene, thanks chaps :clap

I'm intent on changing it because I've got three of one size and one of another, plus they appear to be of different materials and I like a 'clean sheet' approach :nenau

The new exhaust is worth alomst as much as the bike so I'd like to be able to re-sell it should I ever break the bike; so I'd like to be able to get it off easily.

Like most of these things it's a matter of access and the main tube is in the way, however going on whats been said I'll invest in a ratchet spanner and go back to 'two-nut's :thumb2

Thanks again :bow

I'm intent on changing it because I've got three of one size and one of another, plus they appear to be of different materials

Be very careful,mate.

If by different size you mean a different diameter,that is suggesting someone has already sheared a stud,drilled it out then replaced with a stud of the next size up.
Commonly someone shears an M6 stud and fecks about trying to remove it,gives up and drills a fresh hole to insert an M8 stud.

In this situation,I`d be well tempted to leave it be.

Sorry ...

... should have said; it's a different length, not diameter but good point thank you :comfort

if you really must get it out, take it to someone with an oxy/acetelene kit and heat the bejasus out of the surrounding area with it. stud will probably come straight out with mole grips after that.

any paint in the vicinity will be fecked as well though :augie

Back
Top Bottom