rallye pro are they worth the money

wideparting

Reaction score
hi people i need a new jacket,am thinking of a rallye pro 2.the thing that bothers me is,there seems to be a lot of them for sale,nearly new or as new.are they worth the money and why do people seem to sell them on so quick.any advice gratefully recieved. j

hi

you may find you open a can of worms with this! many a thread on this topic, have you done a search?

my 2p-worth(on the jacket-as i dont have the trousers yet):

the good - totally waterproof with the liner in, great for warm/hot weather, more than adequate in the cold if you have a decent base layer or two, good armour, build quality is great - you know you're putting on £400 of jacket

the not so good - only one outer pocket is waterproof (there is another in the goretex liner)

the looks - i think they look really good (mine is the black one). a lot of people call them a twat-suit and are too worried people may think you're a twat wearing it. its a seriously good jacket imho, and i'll be getting the trousers at some point (ie when funds allow)

i personally dont think you look a twat if you wear one. although i look a twat anyway. and i really dont care.

If you intend to ride offroad in hot sunny climes (for which purpose the suit was designed) then I guess they are worth every penny.

But if you are part of the 99% of others who will use it onroad in Europe then there are much better suits for sensible money that do a much better job and don't need additional layers to keep you warm if you dare use the suit in a month not beginning with Aug.

:thumb2

I got my Rallye 2 suit for £145 (it pays not to be in a hurry:augie)

Only going to use it offroad and for that purpose it's fine

On road - I prefer the Savanna 2 or Streetguard 2

It's rally suit - used as a road suit it becomnes a twat suit

brought 2nd hand they are good value.

Buy a Berghaus Infinity Jacket to go underneath you'll be suprised how snug it keeps you.

It's rally suit - used as a road suit it becomnes a twat suit

brought 2nd hand they are good value.

Buy a Berghaus Infinity Jacket to go underneath you'll be suprised how snug it keeps you.

I used to have a twat suit, I now have a rally suit.

It is excellent for off road.

The outer layer tubs up like new in the washing machine

hi

you may find you open a can of worms with this! many a thread on this topic, have you done a search?

my 2p-worth(on the jacket-as i dont have the trousers yet):

the good - totally waterproof with the liner in, great for warm/hot weather, more than adequate in the cold if you have a decent base layer or two, good armour, build quality is great - you know you're putting on £400 of jacket

the not so good - only one outer pocket is waterproof (there is another in the goretex liner)

the looks - i think they look really good (mine is the black one). a lot of people call them a twat-suit and are too worried people may think you're a twat wearing it. its a seriously good jacket imho, and i'll be getting the trousers at some point (ie when funds allow)

i personally dont think you look a twat if you wear one. although i look a twat anyway. and i really dont care.

thanks for the info,went out this afternoon and bought one.[blue]i probably look a twat as well,but i am a warm twat. j

I've got one with the trousers and think its really good gear

Personally I couldn't give a feck about some thinking its twatish!!

Managed to get mine for free in a round about way, not to worried about the 'twat' label as A- why should those that can afford to ride across Africa be self-righteous enough to believe no one else should have decent kit :blagblah:blagblah and B- I ride a GS so everyone else on a bike thinks I'm a twat anyway:rolleyes:
Quality is excellent but I use mine as 3 season gear and use Alpinestars stuff for the really cold spells and for instructing in :)

Never had the Rallye, but gone for the Savanna / Santiago which in many ways are similar. Not designed as an arctic suit, but if you use enough layers / heated clothing it might cope. As a combination that works for 3/4 of the year with changing temperatures / weather it works well. Only downside, IMO, is the waterproof inner liner, which if you're on the road and it starts to rain, it's a bit inconvenient taking off the jacket and trousers to put the liners in.

So, with my Santaigo suit, I'll probably get a cheap waterproof outer for the above on the road and caught out scenario. And if it gets really cold, it'll help keep me warmer :)

Rallye Pro

I went on a long bike trip (2 months) with a mate, him with a Streetguard suit.. me and the rallye 2 suit..

after much rain/sun/heat.. I would have to say the Streetguard has the edge because of its waterproof outer shell....

whereas the rallye (if you didnt wear a waterproof jacket over it) would still be wet the next morning or damp... I do understand the jacket is more suited to certain climates... but for damp wet (heavy rain) weather a jacket with a waterproof outer shell is the winner..

:clap

My tuppenenth... I have one but wouldn't buy another. It is a good suit when it's coldish/mild & wet or warm & dry. As has been mentioned, it is only good enough for 3 seasons but decent base layer sorts it out. But my biggest complaint is that the waterproofing is in the lining, so unless it's cold when it's raining I find it gets a bit warm. That said, you could open all the vents of which there are plenty. Given the money to spend again I'd go for a Rukka or Hein Gericke GT-X (?) thingy.

I the a Rallye pro 2 jacket which is great in the summer where chances of a dig downpour are reduced.

I also own a HG Master V suite with Goretex Outer which is far better for road use with poor weather. As other have said - jackets with non waterproof outers are poor when it comes to drying times etc. so If I could have only one it would be the HG MAster

HELD jackets and trousers ??

I have been toying with buying a rallye jacket and trousers and have looked at both HG and the Rallye one - seriously expensive over here €1300.
Has anybody any experience of HELD jackets. they are German manufactureres of gear. i have a pair of HELD gloves and they are very good even after 4 years of use. The jacket and pants sell here for €350 which seems like evry good value/.
Any ideas anyone?

hi people i need a new jacket,am thinking of a rallye pro 2.the thing that bothers me is,there seems to be a lot of them for sale,nearly new or as new.are they worth the money and why do people seem to sell them on so quick.any advice gratefully recieved. j

The reason there are so many second hand is quite simple..

just to prove there really is one born every minute. (as if proof were needed)

Idiots with more money than sense will buy a GS... plus all the (ewan wannabe) gear plus as much useless bling as their credit limit can stand.

Then decide its not for them (and doesn't really impress the staff at Waitrose plus; they got that 'must have' photo of the bike laid on its side posed with a gormless grin on their face) and so, flog the lot. result = Ebay and all the dealerships are awash with 1200s for sale... and there's a constant supply of 2nd hand gear.

simple really.

Of course... thinking you look the bees knees, a genuine rufty tufty round the world go anywhere fearless and intrepid adventurer in the full kit. (not camp at all of course) and then coming onto this site and being informed (ad nauseum) you are wearing a TWAT suit and look a right berk riding along the Kings Road - might have an effect on the overly affected too.

half the reason people moan about whatever suit they buy is that they want the same suit to be nice and warm and weatherproof in minus-whatever temperatures in the middle of january, and then be nice and cool and comfy in 25degrees plus in the summer (wherever you happen to be!)

and that is a hell of a lot to ask from one suit, which leaves two choices (if you cant afford/dont want 2 or 3 suits).

you can either be warm in the winter, and then sweating like a pig in the summer, or vice versa. however its easy to put some decent base layers on and turn an exceptionally good summer outfit (R2P??) into one that will easily cope with the winter.

its not rocket science.

(rant over)

Although last Sunday was a great sunny day when I set of first thing there was a thick frost and I was straight on the motorway with just a tea shirt an Berghaus Infinity jacket and the Rally Pro - That combination really works and as things warm up you just stuff the BI in the bum pack - You cannot get away from the TWAT looks but it's good kit and when brought 2nd hand a bargin

Although last Sunday was a great sunny day when I set of first thing there was a thick frost and I was straight on the motorway with just a tea shirt an Berghaus Infinity jacket and the Rally Pro - That combination really works and as things warm up you just stuff the BI in the bum pack - You cannot get away from the TWAT looks but it's good kit and when brought 2nd hand a bargin

and when used off road its not a twat suit......its cool

Back
Top Bottom