Why does the BMW guy in this vid not fill me with confidence

everywherevirtually

Reaction score
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9HsP32uel68&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9HsP32uel68&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I own one and have racked up 10000 miles so I know what it does but I wouldn't be too confident If I was listening to the guys above.

I agree sounds like he just read the sales brochure before they started filming,the other guy is a bit of a knobber as well......:Motomartin

so are the forks upside down or conventional? they seem to have a different explanation:nenau

ugg

The modern day terminology of 'upside down forks' is how they used to be post war :eek:

Upside down forks are actually the right way up :clap

Here you see a piccie of my 1957 BSA B31 where the bottom of the forks slide up and down inside the fixed uppers ... just like my 2008 F800GS :)

How cool eh :cool:

:beerjug:

Attachments

• 1957 BSA B31 c1963.jpg
    1957 BSA B31 c1963.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 524
upside down forks makes sense to me because I had a set of Fork seals go on me on my old Honda. Basically cos the crud under the influence of Gravity sits around the edge of the seals. If they are upside down and in the case of the 800GS shielded and in my case further protected by Kriega fork covers then hopefully the seals will last longer.

On early bikes with the conventional forks stones used to damage the chrome layer on the stantions,as the fork compressed the chipped stantion ripped the seal.....:Motomartin

I'd rather see the guys riding them then talking about them

so are the forks upside down or conventional? they seem to have a different explanation:nenau

ugg

I think when he says conventional he means not telelever or duolever..

You probably need to skip to parts 2,3,4,5,6,7 and 8 then .

Oh and Moab does have rocky pistes and just about the best easily acessible offroading anywhere in the world. Thanks for the link Jon , I'm going to look at the other parts tomorrow to check out some of the trails they do, should make good viewing.

Moab rocks :thumb

Try Part 2 :thumb2

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PI_yUmLQaGs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PI_yUmLQaGs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I think when he says conventional he means not telelever or duolever..

You probably need to skip to parts 2,3,4,5,6,7 and 8 then .

Oh and Moab does have rocky pistes and just about the best easily acessible offroading anywhere in the world. Thanks for the link Jon

No worries. :thumb

Rocky pistes yes... but Rocky Dunes? :augie

the guy was obviously bricking it cos he was on TV :JB which is why he got his forks mixed up, his suspension mixed up and the sand in his rocks and the rocks in his sand :rolleyes:

That said the series of other vid's is pretty good for showing the action. Decent helmet cam action too.

upside down forks makes sense to me because I had a set of Fork seals go on me on my old Honda. Basically cos the crud under the influence of Gravity sits around the edge of the seals. If they are upside down and in the case of the 800GS shielded and in my case further protected by Kriega fork covers then hopefully the seals will last longer.

There are many reasons for the switch to "Upside down" forks (or conventional for you Micky :D), and IIRC fork seal longevity was one of the least important. The advantage of having the thickest and heaviest parts clamped to the yoke, rather than flapping around at the bottom was the main reason. I'm sure someone more knowlegeable will be along shortly...
Mark

There are many reasons for the switch to "Upside down" forks (or conventional for you Micky :D), and IIRC fork seal longevity was one of the least important. The advantage of having the thickest and heaviest parts clamped to the yoke, rather than flapping around at the bottom was the main reason. I'm sure someone more knowlegeable will be along shortly...
Mark

Yup - that's what I've always heard.
Thick heavy stuff at the top with large diameter (hence stiff) but relatively lightweight sliders at the bottom. So less unsprung weight and better suspension performance (and of course they look cool :) )

The modern day terminology of 'upside down forks' is how they used to be post war :eek:

Upside down forks are actually the right way up :clap

Here you see a piccie of my 1957 BSA B31 where the bottom of the forks slide up and down inside the fixed uppers ... just like my 2008 F800GS :)

How cool eh :cool:

:beerjug:
Aren't those "uppers" just protective covers Mick?

Rocky pistes yes... but Rocky Dunes? :augie

The trails can be very sandy with a lot of nasty rocks in 'em so call 'em what you want.:nenau

Check out Moab on ADV though, its brilliant. I can't say enough good stuff about the area.

Here is a current thread with a Moab report in it. Check out post #6 , he covers most of the ground i covered in 2004 in that post, Shafer Trail etc

I wasn't brave enough to tackle it on my GS half way through a 12 week trip so I did it the easy way. Hooked up with a girl called Linda from Philadelphia who I met in town and he we hired a jacked up Wangler for the day. Brave or what :augie

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=426966

Loads of stuff like that if you do a search.

:thumb

Back
Top Bottom