Quest handlebar mount

thinks .. you may be describing the pedal bike mount for the Quest ?

There's a batch of 'new' Quest 1 units (not whitebox models) sloshing around and few resellers/dealers have taken them, price is fair and have seen £129 with mount.

The Garmin bike mount , cradle and power lead (010-10610-00) has come to its end of its life AFAIK but you may find a dealer with one. The RAM-HOL-GA15 is still available and used QPAC (5V regulator chipset) to power it and give audio via 2.5mm or 3.5mm (emerging standard option). Not sure if Touratech cradle and lead option is available. Add a metal mount for each of these options.

The Garmin Quest powered mount has a lock that securely fixes the GPS to the cradle and the RAM cradle uses a very strong clip with a big lip to secure. I wouldn't have a problem with either of them and have them both (for the next 6 days anyway, as the whole lot is on eBay ATM).

The retaining clip on the mount depicted on the page you linked to I don't think I would trust from the look of it, can you fairly easily pull the GPS out of the cradle? If so I would be looking for a better way or at least a way of improving that cradle.

I have my Quest 1 mounted off the handlebar using a short arm and the RAM holder with the power supply as noted above, works a treat for me.

Well, eventually I will get a proper RAM mount, but sadly my "toys" budget ran out this month so it will have to wait!:fiddle

For now, I mounted it with the bicycle mount, it seems fine, but I will probably add a tie wrap to hold the whole thing together on long journeys(riding to southern Germany next week). I have ordered the cigarette lighter from Nippy Norman, that way I can get power to it using the car cable(might hack the cable to get an audio lead in there if I really feel the need for it)

Thanks for all the replies!

............ I have ordered the cigarette lighter from Nippy Norman, that way I can get power to it using the car cable ............

I just use the Quest's internal battery - get at least two long days riding from a charge and makes mounting very simple

To cut down on clutter you can unscrew the mains charger and cable from their supplied cradle and then attach them to your bike mount for overnight charging - just one little crosshead

For audio the RAM ACQ then just screws into the same slot as and when needed

As Kritou says, the internal battery is good for a very long day, Garmin reckon 20 hours off one charge though I imagine that's optimal with everything turned down (back-light on for 30 secs after a turn and brightness on low).

When running off the internal battery you can opt to have the back-light on all the time or for it switch off after 15, 30, 60 or 120 seconds after a turn or button press. The brightness can be adjusted between 0 and 100% in 5% increments. Both of these will effect battery life. The problem with having the back-light automatically turn off is that you can't see the display very clearly without it on and not all junctions are necessarily regarded as turns (that seems to be a foible for TomTom as well as Garmin). Where there's a potential for ambiguity I like to look down at the screen to check.

Not sure how long the battery would last with the back-light on all the time, in part this would depend on the brightness setting.

With a cradle powered off the bike the back-light is on all the time irrespective of the timeout setting.

Take a close look at the back of the Quest's car mount cradle - the cable from the charger/speaker is held in with a tiny torx screw. If you undo this, you can fit the cable and contact pads straight onto the (cheapo unpowered) RAM mount with the same screw. It might fit the bicycle mount too - just compare the two mounts where the Quest's contacts line up...

Then all you need is the ciggie lighter adaptor to plug the cable into. You don't get audio (unless you want to hack into the speaker unit) but you may find you don't need audio anyway. The Quest zooms in on a junction about a mile before the turn, then zooms back out, and then zooms in again at the jct. This changing of the display (noticeable in your preripheral vision), plus the 'distance to next turn' field has been enough to keep me on track without needing voice instructions too.

BTW, one more bit of advice - set the Quest to a fixed zoom level (it will in any case still zoom in for junctions). I think mine is set usually to something around 800', which gives you a good idea of what the next blind bend is like, and enough of the map to give lots of warning of the route turning off at a junction. The Quest is an excellent bit of kit, and its worth spending some time getting to know how to configure and use it.

BTW, one more bit of advice - set the Quest to a fixed zoom level (it will in any case still zoom in for junctions). I think mine is set usually to something around 800', which gives you a good idea of what the next blind bend is like, and enough of the map to give lots of warning of the route turning off at a junction. The Quest is an excellent bit of kit, and its worth spending some time getting to know how to configure and use it.[/QUOTE]

Good advice thanks:rolleyes:

only thing , i cant find the the "set to a fixed zoom " setting on my quest, this is quest1 not the 2 version.
the only way i can set it , is to just zoom out and leave it at 800ft.
will the quest stay at this setting and still zoom in , or reset to 200ft as default setting?

ugg

ugg

I need to have a look at my Quest when I get home. Can't remember exactly how to fix the zoom - but I do remember that at one time it would zoom right out to show the whole route which was completely useless.

I need to have a look at my Quest when I get home. Can't remember exactly how to fix the zoom - but I do remember that at one time it would zoom right out to show the whole route which was completely useless.
Map settings menu and then turn autozoom to off. I was really frustrated by this when I got my Quest until someone on here put me straight.

on riding home tonite i used my quest , zoomed the screen to 800ft , and just left the quest to route.

as said before the quest zoomed in to indicate a junction or turning , then went back to 800ft .

this was just using the zoom toggle button , not any setting alterations.

im happy with that:thumb2

quest

I got a Quest from this site (£99 :clap): http://www.mynewcheap.co.uk/products/details/garmin-quest/1586/

And it came with a Handlebar mount, I have attached it to my crossbar(using extra rubber pads to get it on the small diameter), but I am wondering of others have used this mount and if it is safe? I don't want my GSP flying off on the motorway!

Thanks!

Hi is this the quest 1 or 2 and what is the difference? as it looks like a very good buy and how did you get on with the mount, may sound like dum questions but am not very up on gps units:confused:

thanks tarry

Back
Top Bottom