(Internally) rounded torx bolt head

dakarjim

Reaction score
HELP!

decide to fit the spot lights on my Dakar today, having finally got all the bits i need (including some nifty brackets many thanks to VAL H.)

underneath the high mudguard are four torx bolts, not sure of the torx number but i think an M6 thread. did the right hand two no problems, then the first one on the left came out.

the second one undone about three quarters of a turn then went tight; so i put a bit more weight on it and the torx bit slipped, and chewed the hell out of the bolt head :mad::mad::mad:(i probably should have tightened it up a bit then undone it again, 20/20 hindsight i guess :( )

any ideas how to get it out? i've tried the next size up torx bit, no good, cant get at it with mole grips, cant heat it because of the plastic behind it, its turned what should have been an easy job into a fekking nightmare!

why do BMW use such shitey fasteners anyway?!

any help would be greatly appreciated

Jim

I've seen allen keys hammered into knackered Torx heads to get them out :thumb2

I had the same problem with one of them on my bike.
I got it out by hammering in an allen key as suggested by Whatton.

But do yourself a favour and spend a couple of quid on a spray can of penetrating oil from your local halfrauds first - this makes a huge difference to the tightness problem that started your pain, and gives you a much better chance of getting the fastner out with an allen key.

Good luck!!

didn't Steptoe post up some weeks ago about using some glue/gunky stuff to put on rounded bolts etc to help get them out

If the ideas above don't work buy yourself a set of screw and bolt extractors (depending whose you get they're about 10 quid). They have a left-handed thread so as you "unscrew" them they bite harder into the knackered screw/bolt and then you can continue and unscrew it. You do need to drill a hole in the bolt first to fit the extractor - they come in different sizes for different bolts.

Good luck :)

P

many thanks for the hints so far, gives me some ideas. may well try the gunky stuff first.

i cant help but think that BMW should use better fasteners on what is supposedly a "premium brand" rather than ones made of cream cheese though.

still, where would the fun be if it was easy? :augie

If the ideas above don't work buy yourself a set of screw and bolt extractors (depending whose you get they're about 10 quid). They have a left-handed thread so as you "unscrew" them they bite harder into the knackered screw/bolt and then you can continue and unscrew it. You do need to drill a hole in the bolt first to fit the extractor - they come in different sizes for different bolts.

And daft as it sounds, try left hand drill bits. The torque created in cutting into the bolt can be enough sometimes to undo the bolt without using the extractor :)

I use Plusgas for any suspect bolts etc..
put it on and leave 5 min before trying to take off.

I did that once, on someone else's bike :blast

Only way to remove it was to drill the head off with a 6mm drill bit. If you can get the rest of the fasteners off it will allow you to remove the mudguard and get at the remains of the bolt with a pair of mole grips.

27 years in heavy engineering and never seen Steptoes wonderglue. Gonna buy some as it sounds like good stuff....Always something new to learn in Engineering. Thanks for the heads-up.:thumb2

I was gonna wait until I got myself another job before buying any, money isn't exactly flush at the moment and although I wouldn't discount the idea of a group buy I can't afford to be left with boxes of the stuff unsold. I'll get some ideas of pricing per unit versus bulk and post again with the answer.

OK
Took the initiative and mailed Kemfast from the above link.

Here's the reply:

Hi Darryl,

Please find below our best price and lead-time:

EZ-GRIP-3OZ
£13.00 per 3oz
Qty. 65 in stock

Prices are ex-works Kemfast Ringwood.
Please take note of our minimum order value of £50.00.
Stock is subject to prior sale.

Best regards,
David

So who fancies a group buy??:nenau

I'll assume for the time being that the price is plus VAT and delivery, so the £13 tag may not be quite accurate..

There again we may have a member near Ringwood. that could collect and distribute??;)

Just got exactly the same reply from the suppliers. I'm not that far from Ringwood its about 55 minutes away so I can do the collecting if needs be, I just can't afford to buy loads of the stuff as I have absolutely no income at present and no job. I could probably buy about £100 worth as thats all the ready cash I have at my disposal.

If someone else can stump up the cash and order via the phone, I'd be happy to ride over and pick up the stuff and post it off to the purchasers of a group buy, it just leaves the postage fees to work out. The co-ordinator of the group buy could PM me the list of names and addresses. I can buy my own bottle over the counter whilst I'm there for the £13.00

Back
Top Bottom