How long to get to Bucharest?

Dave Ford

Reaction score
I am closely involved with our company's offices in Bucharest and Sofia. I'm keen to do a round trip taking in both offices - hopefully in May, before it gets too hot over there. According to Google Maps it's about 3,700 miles. I need to assess whether such a trip is feasible within the time I will be able to make available. Has anyone any experience of riding to Bucharest, or that area of Romania, in a "determined" or "purposeful" way i.e. to get there in one piece, without ending up in jail or hospital, but without stopping every half an hour to take photographs. Any suggestions on best route or places to stay, would also be appreciated.

3 days, watch the roads an gypos in rumania,, straight through austria and hungary, easy trip via good motor ways until rumania, roads round sofija good now

My advice would be use AutoZug to get past the tyre squaring motorway trudge down to the Alps region.
Gets you down to area where you can enjoy every second of the riding. Can drop you off in Munich (About 110 euros) so you can ride through the Alps, or in Villach (190 euros)/Innsbruck (160 euros) so you can start off in the alps.
All you have to do is get to Hamburg or Dusseldorf! :thumb

Romania

Hi Dave,

Perfectly doable - done it many times. Give me a shout and we can have a talk - my email is gavin((AT))fundatia-adept.org

Gavin

Hi Mate

I'll be riding my GS ADV out to Brasov at the end of July!

Where abouts are you?

:beerjug:

Hi

I am based between Sighisoara and Brasov in the Saxon villages - Saschiz. Really nice area to explore on a GS - had an excellent ride between some villages last night with the wind in my hair! too hot for a lid.

www.discovertarnavamare.org - can help you find good cheap 10 euro a night bed accom in the villages if you want.

Brasov - accom recommendation with safe parking, good accom and an excellent wine and palinka cellar! http://www.pensiuneastejeris.ro/

Might even be able to have a day or two for a ride to so you around.

Gavin

Finally got approval for the trip, based around having to be in Bucharest on 9th September and Sofia on 11th. I'd planned a six day ride home which involved Bulgaria - Serbia - Bosnia - Croatia - Italy (Stelvio :thumb2 ) - Switzerland - France. However on checking my insurance, through ebike insurance, I find that Romania and Bulgaria are third party only cover but, more importantly, Bosnia and Serbia fall outside of ebike's "territorial limits" and they do not offer cover:tears. I can, of course, devise an alternative route which avoids these countries, but would rather not.

Does anyone know of companies that will provide either additional or temporary cover?

Also, in addition to an EHIC card and a vignette for the Swiss motorways, do I need any additional documentation?

Thanks.

You'll probably have to buy insurance at the border if you haven't got cover.

We were in Sofia a few days ago, check out this biker bar fantastic company and food BUT be vary of the 'homemade grape brandy' I managed one small glass and was bouncing off the walls:D..the big guy is the owner

Attachments

• P1020608 (Small).JPG
    P1020608 (Small).JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 227

We were in Sofia a few days ago, check out this biker bar fantastic company and food BUT be vary of the 'homemade grape brandy' I managed one small glass and was bouncing off the walls:D..the big guy is the owner

Judging by the architecture in the background, this could be any of the Sofia suburbs! Approximately where is it?

Over the years I've had enough unpleasant experiences (as well as some very pleasant ones) with home made brandies in Bulgaria and Romania to last a lifetime......

Sofia - cracking city when you know the right places!!

Insurance - Groupama with Carol Nash provides cover all across the region - just had my new 6 month green card sent - and they even covered Ukraine and Moldova without any problems!

Just had a quick spin to Novi Sad this weekend - terrible - 3 bike parties within 60 km of each other! How can a man decide!

Dave - u have email .....

And dont forget to get Vignette for the Hungarian motorway ... only a few euro for bike - but really expensive it you get a spot check!

Bulgarski "Rakia", monogo dobra....:drool

The Bulgarian locals make there moonshine in the villages and its over 60% proof..:eek:

Ask the lads who sampled mine at the 3 peaks Yorkshire do:augie

ugg

Sofia - cracking city when you know the right places!!

Insurance - Groupama with Carol Nash provides cover all across the region - just had my new 6 month green card sent - and they even covered Ukraine and Moldova without any problems!

Just had a quick spin to Novi Sad this weekend - terrible - 3 bike parties within 60 km of each other! How can a man decide!

Dave - u have email .....

And dont forget to get Vignette for the Hungarian motorway ... only a few euro for bike - but really expensive it you get a spot check!

Gavin

Thanks for this. I'll reply to your email tomorrow but thought it might be useful to others to follow up a couple of issues:
  1. ebike insurance state quite explicitly that green cards are no longer required, that they don't issue them and to carry one's policy as proof of insurance - this will be sufficient. Nevertheless I've read elsewhere that the Romanian border officials expect a green card. Any comment on this?
  2. Hungarian vignette - wasn't aware there was such a thing - thanks for the tip.

Dave

Re - Ro border and green card - I think they are now more relaxed .... they did not even check my bike documents on the way back in on Saturday through the small border at Jimbolia from Serbia - though they did check on way out (including checking/commenting I had insurance for Serbia). With an ebike policy - carry the policy document or a print out of the countries covered for the benefit of the border.

Hungarian Vignette - just for highway and can be bought at first garage across border from Austria. You can even buy online - http://www.motorway.hu/engine.aspx?page=payment

Back
Top Bottom