Broken before Destination....

bmwrich58

Reaction score
Well Mike, I made it to Perry Florida when the legs of my horse deceided to quit working friday night about 70 miles south of Tallahassee.
Had the bike towed back to Tallahassee,Miller BMW,left in parking lot, got hotel room and showed up the next morning around 8am.
Mechanic diagnosed wore out clutch, and bad rear trans seal.
Dealer replaced clutch disk,we didn't know how bad trans gearing was until test ride, and they had no rear seal in stock.
During the test ride, there is no 3rd or 5th gears. And the shift lever falls off. Head mechanic blamed the other wrench for not tightening it up. Of course,when I get home to fix things proper,the shifter is installed improperly and now gonna cost me some welding $$$...
I even offered to drive to Daytona BMW for extra parts. Owner of Millers stated he didn't like Daytona BMW,they were
"Bike Whores" as well as "Chicago BMW" where I do business.
Nobody in the state of Florida or anywhere else I contacted by phone has a rebuilt/used transmission.
Needless to say,I rented a car and went down to the Crystal River area to visit an old friend for one night. Next day, sunday night,I flew back to Chicago. Trying to rent a pickup in Florida is impossible. Renting a truck "One way" back to Chicago is "way to expensive"!!!!
So, I leave monday morning from Chicago and drive back to Florida in my own personal pickup to retrieve my fallen horse.
Pickup my bike and head home. I was home wednesday at noon, and proceeded to tear down bike. Lot's of loose fastners were found, screwed up shift lever, and only the clutch disk was replaced. I did manage to find a used trans from a local guy and installed it last night. Today when I fix the shifter/linkage, I'll do the big test ride.
All in all, the ride there was fun,the experience with Miller BMW was like walking on "egg shells", the weather warm,and I did manage to visit a dear friend who is now handicapped.
Yes, it was an expensive "mini trip", but then I've visited "Bike Week" so many times before, that missing it this year was "no big deal"! Sorry we didn't meet, stay safe, enjoy the "Sunshine".

Blimey Rich - I thought I'd had a bad week with my exhaust & fuel supply problems. Hope you get it all sorted soon...

Cheers

Mike:)

Back
Top Bottom