GPS for Offroad - Oregen, 60CSx or Satmap

Berin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking for a gps to use on the trails, both biking and walking. The standard seems to be the Garmin 60CSx, but now there's the Oregon (and the Colorado) but also I came across the SatMap
The ability to use OS mapping looks good on this.

questions:

1) Are there any other digital OS maps other than the Satmap ones?
2) Are Memory Maps OS mapping?
3) Are the Garmins compatible with Memory Map (ie can you download mapping and not just tracks)
4) Are any of the above routable and if so with what maps?

Are there RAM mounts available for the Satmap?

Any thoughts?

I have the 60csx

. it's well built and waterproof
. use's AA batterys so easy to keep spare batterys, and the battery life is good
. It is auto routable using TOPO V2 or the normal garmin road mapping
. not memory map OS mapping compatible but can use Garmins TOPO ( use V2 as V1 is pish)

I also don't think you need the OS mapping on a GPS screen, as it's a lot of info in a small space and the point of an OS map is to use the area you can see to help with navigation,

I use either the 60csx with a track or waypoints that I follow and the GPS positioning to know where I am on the paper map that I also ways carry, if you use Memorymap programme and the area your walking you quickly build up a reserve of maps for the areas you use frequently

Do a search in google about the Oregon and colorado they don't get the best reviews, there seems to be a lot of software updates to fix problems battery life being one of them.

HTH

Are there RAM mounts available for the Satmap?
Any thoughts?

Simples, NO ! (search forum on Satmap)

I've a dummy case Satmap on my desk as they've ask the same. Its an awkward shaped plastic thing and needs custom cradle. I'm surprised they 'launched' it without anything or at least consider how the thing would be used.

As for Oregon, have cradles, so can mount it.

As for each product and brand names .. Garmin vs Satmap, no contest :nenau in my humbled unbiased view.

Have you looked at ViewRanger - www.viewranger.com - The Smart Revolution in Outdoors GPS; off-road gps satnav for outdoor activity enthusiasts (their words not mine)

Simples, NO ! (search forum on Satmap)

Have you looked at ViewRanger - www.viewranger.com - The Smart Revolution in Outdoors GPS; off-road gps satnav for outdoor activity enthusiasts (their words not mine)

Looks interesting, but I don't have a GPS phone, plusI'm not sure if a phone is robust enough to strap to the handlebars of a dirt bike.

Any advance on 60CSx, anyone - I guess these can be bike powered?

Looks interesting, but I don't have a GPS phone, plusI'm not sure if a phone is robust enough to strap to the handlebars of a dirt bike.

Any advance on 60CSx, anyone - I guess these can be bike powered?

My vote is with the 60csx.

Routing is very good, shares the same mapping software with the garmin 2720.

You can design routes etc on mapsource then upload those routes waypoints etc direct from mapsource.

They arnt entirely water proof, a 4 hours in persistant rain does get a bit damp behind the screen, though a quick air afterwards sorts it out.

Yes it can be directly wired, i did find sometimes that with the batteries they can shake loose but a bit of extra padding in the battery compartment sorts that out

As for each product and brand names .. Garmin vs Satmap, no contest :nenau in my humbled unbiased view.

In my not so humble biased view, as a user of satnav in many situations professionally that involve life or death navigational accuracy issues and a dedicated follower of garmin products....

...I bought the satmap for greenlaning. ;)

In my not so humble biased view, as a user of satnav in many situations professionally that involve life or death navigational accuracy issues and a dedicated follower of garmin products....

...I bought the satmap for greenlaning. ;)

But then you've always been a contrary bugger...:)

But then you've always been a contrary bugger...:)
Possibly.

I just cant see the point in a "mapping" GPS where the maps are a crock of shit.

Satmap certainly does what I want it to, apart from the battery life.

I have been using a 60c for a few years and don't rate it as good as the old GPS V for off road and track back functionality. It may be colour and have whistles and bells but the GPS V was great for leaving a trail and saving and re running it later. You can pick them up for nowt - no one wants them anymore because they are not the latest greatest toy but I rate them very highly . Major downside was only 19mb so I could only store detailed maps of half of Belgium and had to plan my route acroiss Germany a bit carfeully so that all the maps could fit onto the limited memory;) and the serial interface cable was a bit slow - USB is quicker for loading routes and maps.

I own both systems, bought the satmap due to the awful Garmin maps. But i have revised that opinion now i have memory map but none the less there is more messing about the Garmin. The satmap system is just a joy to watch, OS maps unfolding in front of you is fantastic. The layout is very easy to use and overall the system is excellent. But the Garmin does feel more solid and a big plus is the Garmin screen is tough. The satmap uses a plastic screen cover which is replaceable, but water can get under it and mark the screen if left too long. Battery life on the Garmin is better but that is due to the smaller screen and less graphics so a trade off. But the Garmin has got a better receiver but in reality not a massive difference. So what do i prefer, well i grab the satmap first, but do still use the Garmin. If i think there is a chance of damage i use the Garmin but thats just because i want to keep my satmap good :augie The difference really comes down to the maps and in my opinion satmap wins by a long mile and they have just released maps for the continent. I still use both them as the Garmin will give turn by turn directions the satmap will not. Guess i am lucky but i do tend to use both them, but if i had to choose one it would be the satmap. On saying that the Garmin will do the job with the help of memory map. Without memory map or similar forget it satmap all the way. Hope this helps if any one wants more info let me know i can also take some pictures of the different maps if you want.

And don't forget Satmap now has a worldwide base map available and the price for much of the mapping has dropped quite massively of late. :thumb2

yeah got that e-mail recently, the only thing putting me off the upgrade is you need to send the unit away and lose the vector map. Not really sure mind you if the vector map is much use, but i am no expert with satnavs so maybe i am missing the point of it on the satmap.

Are you getting the basemap would like to see the detail off it in say morocco etc. Do not know where they get the base map from?

Looked at the Satmap at the weekend - the mapping does look good and the unit seems easy to use if a bit flimsy, but it seems not to have a PC based mapping option (or was the guy in the shop a muppet?), meaning you would have to plan your route on the screen of the Satmap unit - not as easy as planning on a PC and transferring, I would have thought. Also, does the Satmap cope with uploading tracks/routes for sharing, and viewing in Google Earth?

And lastly - for those using Satmap - how did you mount it on the bike?

thanks for the input so far.

Looked at the Satmap at the weekend - the mapping does look good and the unit seems easy to use if a bit flimsy, but it seems not to have a PC based mapping option (or was the guy in the shop a muppet?), meaning you would have to plan your route on the screen of the Satmap unit - not as easy as planning on a PC and transferring
There is an online planner on the satmap website which works just the same as say mapsource.
http://www.satmap.com/news.php?art_id=26

does the Satmap cope with uploading tracks/routes for sharing, and viewing in Google Earth?
You can save from it or upload routes to it in the GPX format.
More info:
http://www.satmap.com/faqs.php

And lastly - for those using Satmap - how did you mount it on the bike?
With the bike mount. ;)
http://www.satmap.com/ukstore/product_info.php?cPath=34_38&products_id=3217

I just cant see the point in a "mapping" GPS where the maps are a crock of shit.

I certainly agree with that, Adam. I recently bought the Garmin eTrex Vista Hcx and the base maps are completely useless. I know I could spend a fair bit of money and upgrade to the Topo maps, etc., but from what I've seen I doubt if any of it would match the Satmap Active 10. Yes, it's all my fault and I should have checked out what I was buying more thoroughly...:rob

But if any of you Garmin fans want a practically brand new eTrex Vista Hcx for a bargain price, let me know... I'm saving for a Satmap. :blast

I certainly agree with that, Adam. I recently bought the Garmin eTrex Vista Hcx and the base maps are completely useless. I know I could spend a fair bit of money and upgrade to the Topo maps, etc., but from what I've seen I doubt if any of it would match the Satmap Active 10. Yes, it's all my fault and I should have checked out what I was buying more thoroughly...:rob

But if any of you Garmin fans want a practically brand new eTrex Vista Hcx for a bargain price, let me know... I'm saving for a Satmap. :blast

All is not lost, as you say the garmin maps really are not up too much but the equipment is. You really need to buy something like memory map to supplement the crap maps. With the external software the garmin will be very usable.

Back
Top Bottom