ECE specification helmet in USA & Canada

DoctorZippy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just purchased a Schuberth C3 for my forthcoming Globebusters Trans-Americas trip :D but... in the instruction manual (now why did I bother reading it :rob) it states :

"Caution:
This helmet is not intended for use in the USA and Canada. The hemlet has been inspected and approved to the European ECE Standard and therefore does not conform to US and Canadian regulations and requirements. It is only legal to use the helmet in countries in which the European ECE Standard is valid. If you use the helmet in other countries, you will not in the event of injury be entitled to make a claim for compensation before the US or Canadian courts or the courts of other countries not bound by the ECE Standard."

My question is - does this matter? :confused:

The ECE standard is, as far as I know, a higher standard than the DOT standard in the US/Canada. I'm not too bothered about a pull from the police (it's unlikely they'd check the specification of what is clearly a proper helmet), but am more concerned if I have to make a claim on my insurance following an accident..

Advice welcome, (and obviously, the usual sarcy remarks :augie)

Paul

DOT isn't a lesser standard than ECE it's just different. The testing process is different that's all.

In such a litigious society as the USA I personally wouldn't risk it.

Considering the money you're spending on the whole trip another lid isn't going to break the bank....

Helmet Question

Hello from the Colonies,

Not sure why Schuberth would put that in the manual but here goes:

1. There is no federal helmet law in the USA. Whether a state requires a helmet to be worn while riding is up to the state legislators (50 laws for 50 states). Here in Illinois there is no helmet law and some people ride without helmets (We call them organ donors:)). Same in Wisconsin, home of Harley Davidson.
2. Who would you sue? If you wear a non-DOT helmet and get hurt would you try to sue Schuberth? Would you sue them if you wore their DOT helmet? Does it make a difference to you as you are lying in the hospital bed? Would your insurance company penalize you for wearing a non-DOT helmet in the USA vs. say Mongolia? Just make sure you have proper medical, motorcycle, and medical evacuation insurance and enjoy the ride.
3. If you are worried about the police bothering you about a non-DOT helmet, there are DOT stickers that can be purchased on-line and at Harley rallies for this purpose. How many Harley riders do you think wear DOT helmets?
4. Last thought, would Schuberth really make two different style helmets for USA and non-USA markets? Or, did they not pay to have the helmet tested by Snell to show it meets DOT standards? Not sure but maybe Schuberth doesn't sell a lot of helmets here in the USA and the testing price wasn't worth it?

If you happen to be near Chicago and need a place to stop, let me know and I'll be happy to fix up the basement (you don't mind rats, do you?:)) for the cost of two pints; one for me and one for you.:beerjug:

A couple of years ago, Schuberth f'ed up their US distribution. Left a bunch of dealers hanging with angry customers waiting for replacement visors, etc. On their web site, they still list their German hq as the US distributor. My guess is that they have pulled out of USA, not bothering to DOT-approve the C3. (The Snell test is totally different from the DOT, btw. AFAIK, a DOT label doesn't require testing at all.)

People have wondered why BMW doesn't sell their helmets in USA, most guessing it has to do to with potential litigation. Sounds strange to me, but something to do with a helmet being designed and sold as a safety product, while a bike must be expected to be dangerous. (Aerostitch fights a CE-type regime for garments for this reason.) Anyway, as Schubert makes (some? all?) the BMW helmets, this could be the reason?

I wouldn't worry about using a Schubert or BMW helmet in USA, DOT or no DOT. I'd be more worried about using a DOT only helmet.

Schuberth in US

Unless your personal insurance has some odd clause I wouldn't worry. I'm happily wearing my Schuberth C3. Half the US states don't even require a helmet. In my neck of the woods - home of Harley Milwaukee - a helmet could be an inverted soup bowl with a bungie.

Kind of wacky we have all these helmet safety tests but we don't require so much as Brylcreem on your head.

Thanks for the responses...

... as it happens, I happily travelled through the US with my C3 on my head and had no adverse side effects... :D

I'm now in Peru, still heading south and having a ball. Whilst I like the flip-front and integral dark visor of the C3, I'd like it a whole lot better if the vents worked, as it's got a tad sweaty now, and there's little worse than a sweaty helmet :augie

Hasta luego!

Back
Top Bottom