New bike?

Bryn

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Advice welcomed as I know nothing about the 650 GS

Red, 2008, 6000 miles ABS and Heated Grips...Full BMW service history .. in fact demo bike since new with dealer, then used as a run around by them...looks like new but tyres have about 2000 miles only left in them... ..Lowered seat AND suspension

£5100 for cash.... how does that sound? ( no room for any more negotiation)

SWMBO wants a bike.... and likes the fact that she can touch the floor with this one...

Opinions sought before I dive in :augie

Price

Just paid £5600 for new one Red / Computer / Heated grips but no ABS March 09 Reg.

Not quite the same

Mitch

I think the ABS option adds around £600 to the cost new... the one I'm looking at has the heated grips and is factory lowered, a point SWMBO likes :thumb

There are some posts on here somewhere regarding demo bikes and one particular 800 ended up with a new engine not long after purchase.

I'm afraid you pays your money and takes your chance as the demos will invariably not been run in correctly and most people will ride a demo like they stole it. Of course it will be under warranty but for the minimal saving I wouldn't want the inconvenience of not having my steed whilst it was having a new engine:confused:

I've had several ex-demos over the years, never had any problems and reckon it's a good way to get a nearly new bike at sensible money.

However, I'm not sure just over £5k sounds a particuarly good deal :nenau Not based on any great knowledge of the 650's, just doesn't sound a very attractive deal somehow

Put into context, I bought an 'as new' Guzzi Griso with 1600 miles on it for £5k last Autumn - I know they are different bikes but it's a lot more bike and lower mileage for the money.

Mind you it does sound like your better half rather likes it ........... :)

Andres

It sounds good to me - red is the best colour ( ;) ) It is lowered so if your good lady is 5'3" or less it will be ideal for her. ABS and heated grips are expensive options.
As it is a lowered bike I do not believe it will have been thrashed the way some demo bikes are - most of the demos will have been ladies or new riders who are probably not as likely ( I didn't say not at all!) to use the bike to its full potential.
£5100 seems a reasonable price if it's what you are looking for - you don't see many second hand 650s at dealers cheaper than this.

I've scanned the dealers and there's not much for less... and it seems they don't come up for sale on here that often ....

Its ticking most of the boxes.. but if it had a few more trinkets it would be even more attractive

its £300 off the price on the ticket.. and they won't budge any more :(

Hi
I has a test ride on a factory lowered demo 650GS two weeks ago. I liked it that low. I'm 5'7, 31 inside leg. I would have bought the demo but my partner disagreed. You can't have a centre stand on a factory lowered bike and he is going to do the regular cleaning and maintenance of the bike. He insisted, I get one with a centre stand. I got a standard bike with centre stand and a low seat, which makes it 790mm. That is only marginally higher than the factory lowered bike. Now we are both happy.

How tiny is your wife? She should try to sit on a standard bike with low seat. Your friendly BMW dealer can do that for you.

BTW You're right, there are hardly any new model 650GS around ang none of them are cheap. I looked for weeks and ended up buying a new one in the end. If you get a new one, you can run it in properly, don't forget that.

Good luck

Hi,
I bought a 2008 factory lowered F650GS twin 2500 miles with ABS, heated grips, panier rails and panniers back in January for £5400.
It was an ex demonstrator. I gave it a long test ride checked it over and bought it. There were no nasty noises coming from the engine it pulled well and was smooth, the gearbox was sweet the chain and spockets were in good condition. What other trinkets do you need apart from luggage ?
Nearly all the other bits and pieces like handgaurds are extras anyway.

How do you know if you buy it privately that someone has run it in properly ?

Personally it sounds like a good buy to me especially if you need the lowered model and don't forget you still have the warranty.

Don't worry about not having a centre stand - only one of my bikes in the last 20 years has had a centre stand. Lubing the chain can be done by rolling the bike along and you can always get a rear axle stand if you need it.

Just to give you a comparison I am 5ft with a 26 inch inside leg.
The normal height bike with the low seat was far too tall for me.
The factory lowered is 765mm. 25mm is a big difference when you have short legs.

So you'd "save" about £1300 over a brand new bike, that won't need £175 of tyres shortly, won't need the £300 odd for another years warranty.

So you get a year old bike for a real saving of £825. Plus I bet it's on the original chain so knock off another £200 so you're saving just over £600. No deal for me.

Thanks for the comments :thumb

She's gone for the bike.. they're fitting new tyres, a scottoiler and a rear rack on it before she collects it:thumb

Having weighed up all the pro's and cons I think she'll be happy with this one :beerjug:

In my view she didn't really need the lowered version, but she feels happier being able to put both feet flat on the floor.... she's had a ride on it and come back grinning ... :)

Pick it up next Saturday :Motomartin

I've scanned the dealers and there's not much for less... and it seems they don't come up for sale on here that often ....

Its ticking most of the boxes.. but if it had a few more trinkets it would be even more attractive

its £300 off the price on the ticket.. and they won't budge any more :(

Bryn, if they won't budge anymore on price.. try getting some swmbo goodies added in the deal, its perceived value and shall save you later. If swmbo get its I'll send her a nice shiny black mount for the handlebars :D

Bryn, if they won't budge anymore on price.. try getting some swmbo goodies added in the deal, its perceived value and shall save you later. If swmbo get its I'll send her a nice shiny black mount for the handlebars :D

She's picking it up next Saturday ;):thumb

Back
Top Bottom