Newbie from Stamford, Lincs

Poacher

Hi all, I am new on here and looking to buy my first bike in many, many years. I am also currently taking my bike test so I am a newbie extraordinaire!! The GS is top of my list; does any one think that it would be a bad choice for someone who last rode when radio Caroline was rocking and so was my Yamaha FS1E? I will really value and be grateful for all opinions.

I am also keen to network with you tossers when I am a qualified as I am not an owner yet. I am looking for an 1150 GS with full bars, box, panniers, tank bag and as much bling as possible preferably under 5 - 6 years old with relatively low mileage. If the owner loved cleaning and hated riding it then that would be a bonus. Do any of you know of such an example?

Finally, I am from Lincolnshire, home of the finest produce in the land and confident that I am capable and resourced to make a valuable contribution to the social calendar in time.

In the meantime, just remember summer is around the corner and whilst you are polishing I am bike less but my Cobb is always smoking !!

howdee, welcome aboard:)

if you aint rode in such a long time, a 1150gsa could be a tad on the big side (read heavy) if your not used to it.
You cant even go test ride one yet:eek, im sure that time will come for you though.

smokin cobb:cool, sounds like a passtime everyone should try

Welcome along Poacher, all the best with the test..............:thumb
I`d be a bit carefull of buying a fully kitted 1150GSA, as to the weight, What about looking at a second hand 800GS or the lighter 1150GS.
I`m just down the road in Peterborugh, so let us know when you`ve got yourself sorted with a GS. Good luck.

High Five to elevensies my first reply. A few people that know me well and ride bikes have said that the 1150 is ideal for me. I am quite physically fit but a large bloke and if I sat on a CBR I would look like I have a moped stuffed up my arse.

With regard to the Cobb you don’t smoke it as Cobb smoking is illegal in some countries, punishable by death. You cook on it and sprinkle a few Jack Daniels wood chips which give your steaks a slight whisky and oak flavoured taste. But slow roasting it is the GS of barbecues.

Never trust a skinny chef as he is probably not a tosser and would never master the complexities of cooking whilst riding a moped stuffed up his rectal region. Please, Please, Please elevensies do not relegate me to that.

I’m a Newbie, over dramatic, determined ( but a brilliant and talented cook) and in a gruff voice “ I want one “ like the dog who says “ sausages”. Do you still think it is too heavy for me?

Hi Dave

Thanks for your advice, I was looking at the GS not the GSA but perhaps it should be the 1200 which is much lighter. I have no idea what is right for me. I actually live in Bourne near Stamford but my business is Grantham so I am very close to Peterborough.
I am most grateful for your comments.

good luck with the test as for what bike to get try and see. I was off bikes for 10 years and bought a gt 750 Kawasaki with full fairing and never looked back. That was 10 years ago. JJH

Popped into Grantham Honda - the've got a 1200GS for sale there.
Shop around though - if you get a GS you'll look like everyone else...common as muck these days :D

Agreed, 1150GSA very heavy, GS is better. 1200GSA is nice if you have the leg length ooer, 1200GS very good if your determined to have a GS as a first bike.

Balderston's is a good place to look and sort a test ride on all the bikes your looking for.

I had a 1150GSA but leg length and wrong cambers can make for difficult moments. Sold it for a K1200S which is ace, now have an airhead as well :D [means I remain qualified to be on here :aidan]

Best of luck, just down the road from you so not far

:beerjug:

Hi carinarauk

I drive through Corby Glen twice a day at 30 mph of course ( waving to the uniformed officers hiding near the fire station with their detector). The sheep fair is the high light of the social calendar - great dogems and candy floss. I will pop in to Baldertons when I have passed my test.

welcome to the site fellow yellowbelly and good luck with the test...:thumb2

I would recomend you at least have a sit on a friends GS before you decide, you never know, your feet might not touch. But there again you might be hooked.
You might like to have a look at a V-strom, cheaper to drop than a GS, but no where near as good. At least thats what some say.
The type of bike you are looking at is perfect for keeping the points at a minimum, because points dont make prizes and road angel's are not waterproof!!!!

hey poacher, just something to consider, when you do pass your test be wary, as alot of bmw dealers wont let you test ride unless you have been riding 2 years.
a mate tried to test a gs and they said, sorry sir no, come back in 2 years, our insurance wont cover you.
something to think about!

Back
Top Bottom