Rider1 Canbus Power issues

Moomin66

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just plumbed in my Tom Tom Rider1 using the Canbus power socket at the headstock - problem is that it keeps wanting to shutdown whilst riding (it comes up with the 'shutdown in 10secs screen' then dissapears as soon as it appeared !!).

If I run it without being powered from the Canbus (using internal battery) - no problem!

Has anyone else heard of this problem or is it noise from the canbus electrickery?

If I ran a direct negative feed to the battery, would the problem go away?

TVM :D

Hi.

Or it could be that you have a problem with the connection between the unit and the cradle.
To check out if this is the problem, you can disable (depending of which version of sw you got) the "auto power off when external power....." under battery saving preferencies.

And if that`s the problem I would recommend a Wunderlich cradle, that should solve the problem.
I`ve written some lines about my experiences in another thread, just search for wunderlich.

Hope you find this useful, good luck.

Inge K.

Hi
I have had the same problem ,and the reason is that you loose the power supply,I have a Tourance craddle.
To get rid of the problem i "bent" the front of the craddle a little to make the Rider fit snuggly in the craddle,sofar no problems.

fishburger

Power Issues now Sorted :)

Thanx for the responses but I eventually nailed the problem down to some dry joints around the charging socket. I also packed out the inside of the case (a small bit of rubber between the innards of the units and the back of the inside of the case where the connector block is) effectively putting a very slight bulge where the connectors are, making a more positive contact between the connectors on the back of the unit and the pins on the cradle as there was some evidence of the dreaded pin-drilling.

The unit now stays on and charges in use even when the going gets bumpy :Motomartin

dry joints

how do you sort dry joints in charging circuit please excuse my ignorance

Sorting Dry Joints

Hi bsogri,

Assuming you have taken the unit apart, you will need a soldering iron with a fine tip, good eyes and a steady hand.

You will need to identify the offending soldered joint - it's apperance will take on the form of some of the joints shown in piccies in this link:

http://dragon.herts.ac.uk/~eleqdml/teaching/general/soldering/

The joint will be associated with the charging socket on the small main board so you shouldn't need to look far. You made need to use a loupe to magnify/identify the affending joint.

As a word of caution - if you dont have any soldering experience, don't attempt this as there are a lot of surface mount components around and any solder bridges made during the repair would wreck it if you powered it up.

Just to add a spoiler - after getting it sorted, I realised how unhelpfull the TTR1 was and am now happily wondering around the roads with a Garmin Zumo 660 and never looked back.

Cheers :beerjug:

tomtom rider dry joint

thanks for that i will give it ago after i find my magnifying glass

Back
Top Bottom