Tyres,Punctures,Bead Breakers,& Things

Major Gadget

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Tyres, Punctures, Bead Breakers, & Things.

Got a nail in the rear Tourance of my 1150 GS the other day, tried to mend it with my Stop & Go kit, but I couldn’t find the Reamer so used a small round file, and of course when I blew the tyre up, it leaked. So got out the trusty BMW kit, but the glue had been used, and what was left, didn’t work, still air leaking out of the tyre, so tried the Stop & Go again, but air still leaking out. Went into the garage to hunt under the gear on the shelf for the wigglies that I’d bought on EBay, & Found the BestRest Bead Breaker that I’d bought from America the year before. Hey I know it’s expensive, I know I haven’t used it, and had forgotten I had it, but it’s a MUST HAVE GADGET.

Having seen the posts about bead breakers on the site I thought I’d at least have a look at it while it was out, and as I looked at the Instructions I realised that it was a complete kit for changing a tyre. As this began to sink in a Cunning Plan began to form in my Brain….I’d use it!!!!

So on Easter Monday armed with that confidence that comes from not knowing what you’re doing I set to work…. With my trusty Camera, Knee Pads in my Overalls, and no bruises or blood to be seen anywhere on my hands…………….Yet.

P1010141-1.jpg

The Beadbreaker & Punctured Tyre

P1010142.jpg

Contents of the Bag.

P1010143.jpg

Ready Asembled.

P1010144.jpg

Ready For Action.

P1010145.jpg

Tyre of the Rim, Finally. I had difficulty getting the first bead off the rim, and finally did it by holding one tyre lever down with my knee, and ' walking' the other two side by side until it popped off. The other bead was just a case of keep trying 'till it popped.

P1010147.jpg

The problem I had with getting the tyre on was not seating the first bead, it was trying to get the second bead on. I couldn't get the tyre to sit in the wheel well, and even putting my knee on the tyre to keep it in the wheel well opposite to where I was working, it still kept on popping out on the opposite side to where I was trying to seat the bead in the rim, as well as coming out of the wheel well.

P1010148.jpg

How I solved it.

P1010149.jpg

The test.

P1010151.jpg

The Tyre fully inflated.

CONCLUSION

If I knew then what I know now would I still have bought it. Probably not.
I mostly travel around Europe, and there are Breakdown Services, and most people who can supply you with a tyre can also fit it.

If I was travelling further afield,,,then yes I would definitely have bought it, because if you damage the wall of a tyre you cannot repair it with a plug, you need to take the tyre off to ' bodge ' it, with perhapse a patch or something else to get you to civilisation. This kit is reasonably small and quite light so will not take up much room,and could possibly get you out of a sticky situation.

Will I use it again...Yes I use at least 2 rears to every front, so to me it's good practice to find out the best way to do the job.I can then get the Tyre Company to fit a new Front and Rear Tyre when they wear out at the same time.

I know that some people will say that I had G Cramps anyway so could have broken the Bead with them, but it was a solution for a problem I had at the time, and I'm sure I'll find a workaround in time, if nobody with more experience doesn't give me a head's up.

One thing I did notice beside the lack of blood on my hands, the lack of black fingernails, or pinched fingers is

Are my Knees Sore...........Oh Yes
Does my Back Ache..........ohhhhhhh Yessssss.

Still a workout at the Gym today plus wonderfull Sauna Time helped no end.

Cheers Ken.

Not as portable but a friend swears by (not at) his: Abba
I have one of those, it works and works very well for breaking the bead but you're still left with levering the tyre over the rims.

Abba

I have one of those, it works and works very well for breaking the bead but you're still left with levering the tyre over the rims.

According to their website it is a complete Tyre Changing Kit?

Dont give up :comfort

to hold the bead in the wheel well, use wood wedges, with the pointy end wide enough to only allow the tyre to sit in the well, wedge it from both sides, you might need 6 or 8 wedges, and use tyre lube, wd40 works, with practice you will get much faster, my first one took 4 hours and a lot of sweat, last one was about half an hour and was easy :thumb

I carry my bead breaker with me, where ever I ride. Its called the side stand.

Pete

According to their website it is a complete Tyre Changing Kit?
Yes it is (if you buy the complete kit, wheel balancer etc) but that kit includes tyre levers, you still have to lever the tyre off after you've broken the bead.

Decent, long tyre levers make a big difference. The dinky little ones that fit in a tool roll are okay as a last resort but don't make it any easier.

Back
Top Bottom