My 1st GS Twin Purchase

Buz

Reaction score
Hi everyone......a few more questions....its either the 650 or 800, until i test them i'm not sure but believe these questions can cover both:

Alarm syatem, is it worth having the factory fitted one? is it recognised by Insurance Companies?

Centre stand, i've read in other threads that the SW Motech centre stand is cheaper, i've looked on the net and can only find this stand for the 650 not the 800 and then it is £144, any ideas?

I was thinking of having the 'Comfort Pack' ABS, Heated Grips, main stand and also OBC. I assume all the other 'Optional Extras' can be added in the future (except possibly the alarm?)

Hand protectors, something that looks ok and more cut out the cold/wind than anything as I dont intend offroading at the moment!

Also debating a box for the rear of the bike, I comute ocassionaly and would need to stick a lappy in it and possibly waterproofs and store helmet in it when at work, any suggestions? dont want to pay the earth for it....

Finally anything I should consider having as 'Factory Fitted' that cant be added after?

Sorry if this sounds dumb questions it's just I dont want to look a complete nob when i go to the dealers! Thanks in advance...:beerjug:

Hi Buz,

Recently went through same decision process so have a view on few of your q's based on my own limited experience of buying a 650 twin last month:

1. My dealer told me the BMW facotry alarm is not thatcham and therefore not recognised by insurers - I didn't bother

2. Dealer fit centre stand came with Comfort pack, butmade more sense to me anyway as I figured I might save few quid here or there on a cheaper 3rd party one, but as there will be no difference in end result, why have the hassle of fitting?

3. As I'm using the bike for long commutes, Comfort pack was a must. heated grips are invalueable and as a relatively inexperienced rider, ABS seemed a good option! Your circumstances may be different though.

4. I got BMW factory handguards - they look the biz, but are not great for weather protection.. if I was doing it again, I'd pay the same and get the newer 1200GS guards as they can be easily fitted to 650GS (&800 I believe, but not certain)

5. I'm still looking at boxes too, have discarded the Vario as expensive and too small a for my needs (I need to fit lappy, loads of sports gear, and a suit in one!) so will probably go for one of the bigger Givi monokey boxes (E55N probably).

6. ABS seemed to me too be the main one to have, you can always switch off if going off road, but you can't add it later!

Just my thoughts, as I said, limited experience so feel free to ignore completely, but let us know what you decide!
:thumb2

Hi Buz,

Recently went through same decision process so have a view on few of your q's based on my own limited experience of buying a 650 twin last month:

1. My dealer told me the BMW facotry alarm is not thatcham and therefore not recognised by insurers - I didn't bother

2. Dealer fit centre stand came with Comfort pack, butmade more sense to me anyway as I figured I might save few quid here or there on a cheaper 3rd party one, but as there will be no difference in end result, why have the hassle of fitting?

3. As I'm using the bike for long commutes, Comfort pack was a must. heated grips are invalueable and as a relatively inexperienced rider, ABS seemed a good option! Your circumstances may be different though.

4. I got BMW factory handguards - they look the biz, but are not great for weather protection.. if I was doing it again, I'd pay the same and get the newer 1200GS guards as they can be easily fitted to 650GS (&800 I believe, but not certain)

5. I'm still looking at boxes too, have discarded the Vario as expensive and too small a for my needs (I need to fit lappy, loads of sports gear, and a suit in one!) so will probably go for one of the bigger Givi monokey boxes (E55N probably).

6. ABS seemed to me too be the main one to have, you can always switch off if going off road, but you can't add it later!

Just my thoughts, as I said, limited experience so feel free to ignore completely, but let us know what you decide!

Yup, I have the 1200GS handguards on my F800GS. Much more substantial and no more pricey :thumb

Hi Buz,

I concur.

Hi Buz,

Gadge

I have the alarm fitted and been told from my insurer which is BMW insurance
that having a factory fitted alarm does lower your premium. :thumb2

Rich

Rich

+1 Lowered my insurance.

I'm not sure what all this crap is about the BMW alarm - if I leave it on and inadvertantly knock or sit on the bike, the alarm goes off and its fecking loud and annoying.
That's why I paid for it

My 2 pen'th

I had the center stand, heated grips and computer fitted to my 650. Alarms imho are a pain. I had a factory one fitted to a Triumph Thunderbird and it drove me mad by going off if I as much as breathed on it. And guess what happens if you tke them on a ferry! No one takes any notice of them any more, so why bother?

Paid approx £170 for the alarm on the 800GS. When I collected the bike, I was offered GAP insurance for £299.

In hindsight, for an extra £130, I should have not bothered with the alarm and taken out the insurance!

GAP insurance...

Another BMW moneyspinner which is designed to take up the difference between the market value of your bike at the time of loss and the cost of a new bike, in essence it's a 'New for Old' premium add-on to your normal bike insurance.

Its a shortfall insurance, In the event of the total loss of the vehicle, it will cover the cost of replacing the bike with a new one, instead of what it was worth....I think....

If I'd taken GAP insurance and my bike was nicked within three years of first registration, I would receive back the full cost to the penny of what I'd paid for it. Not a bad deal if I'd had a couple of years use out of it. However, chances are, the bike won't get nicked and I would have spent £299 for no return.
Instead of that, I spent £170 on an alarm that probably wouldn't deter a thief.
Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing....

Hi Buz,

Gadge

Rich

'pose that's possible, be a bit feckin daft of BMW not to recognise their own alarm!:blast
But would other insurers recognise it though? (slightly academic for me as I haven't got one anyhow!)

650 GS now on order!

Well, had a morning at Mottorad Bristol, went out on the 650 and it absolutely poured, still enjoyed it tho..... Went back to showroom dripping water over their nice clean floor. Out comes the 800 with lowered seat, sort of squelched me arse on the seat and didnt feel confident, due to the pishing rain decided it safer not to venture out and settled for a 650 instead., think i've made the right choice :thumb
The only blue one they had was the showroom mdel, waiting list is anything up to 2 moths! so went with showroom model, by all accounts it has never been riden so felt this ok.......
Right, it has:
ABS
OBC
Centre Stand
Heated Grips
TPC (this was already fitted)
LED Indicator
Factory alarm (cant remember if we agreed to remove this and save money)
Hand Guards with the added bit on them
Scottoiler
Rear topbox
I think that was about it! can you think of anything missing?
Toal price 7530 Quid, and they offered a grand PX for my 125 so I think that aint a bad price!
All being well, pick it up this Friday which is handy for the Tax! Sad thing is I have to drive the flippin 125 all the way to Bristol, not looking forward to that, slower than a slow thing in slow land :sleep

Oh yeah, Insurance is just shy of 300 quid,only passed test on the 15th and 1year NCB on the 125. This is with Bennets, BMW were virtually the same, any idea if this is about right? :nenau

Last edited:
Good work Buz!

Sounds like you've got all the bells and whistles...well done.

Insurance sounds about right too. Of course, it all depends on mileage, use etc, but my 800GS is just over £200 and I've been riding for years and going grey!

I've seen your bike...was in Bristol on Saturday getting mine serviced, they are good guys to deal with.

Bet this is going to be a long week :)

Good work Buz!

Sounds like you've got all the bells and whistles...well done.

Insurance sounds about right too. Of course, it all depends on mileage, use etc, but my 800GS is just over £200 and I've been riding for years and going grey!

I've seen your bike...was in Bristol on Saturday getting mine serviced, they are good guys to deal with.

Bet this is going to be a long week :)

Thanks, and yep certainly will be a long week. Was chatting to Tony and mentioned the good feedback I've recieved from this site ref UKGSER's and purchases from the BS Shop, he was rather pleased. The shop sort of next door, Burger King side, is that anything to do with Mottorad? :nenau

The shop next door is where they sell their second hand bikes. They are linked, but I dont know to what extent.

Fingers crossed for good weather on Friday

:)

yeah, nice one Buz, sounds like you've got a nicely specced up bike there..

our circumstances sound pretty similar as well... I only fairly recently passed the test, did back to back test rides on 650 & 800 and also felt more confident and happier with the 650, and also traded in my 125 for a decent price!!

surely you'll be well happy - I've since racked up a fair few miles up and down to london from Northamptonshire, and have to say I'm still enjoying every second on the bike (well, 70miles down the M1 in the rain/fog etc isn't perhaps the most exciting!!)

roll on friday eh..
:JB

Back
Top Bottom