What's the best tyres?

Phil Reynolds

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Got to change the rear tyre on my 450EXC soon, and was wondering what the collective wisdom on here would advise me what the best tyre would be to go for, and the best place to order from.

My useage is just green laning - but I am taking it to the Competa National Park in Spain later this year which is basically a rocky terrain.

I currently have a Bridgestone 'Gritty Edge' tyre which has been ok but wondered what could better it.

Thanks,

Phil

I find the enduro comp 3 pretty good.

Im just about to take a 1/3 worn one off my g450x if you want it

The answer is far too subjective to be of any real use tbh.

What feels great to me may well feel shit to you.
What feels great to your mate will probably be what you go for, but it doesn't mean it's going to feel any good for you either. But he's your mate so you listen to him.

IME all the bigger named brands are much of a muchness on the dirt. Some aren't so hot on damp tarmac tho, and from that I am assuming damp rock also.

I generally get whatever I can get on offer. It doesn't seem to alter grip levels any.

The answer is far too subjective to be of any real use tbh.

What feels great to me may well feel shit to you.
What feels great to your mate will probably be what you go for, but it doesn't mean it's going to feel any good for you either. But he's your mate so you listen to him.

IME all the bigger named brands are much of a muchness on the dirt. Some aren't so hot on damp tarmac tho, and from that I am assuming damp rock also.

I generally get whatever I can get on offer. It doesn't seem to alter grip levels any.

Adam, I appreciate the question is subjective of course, but it would help me to learn of other riders experiences with the tyres they are/have used - don't you think?

Adam, I appreciate the question is subjective of course, but it would help me to learn of other riders experiences with the tyres they are/have used - don't you think?

Enduro comp III are the choice of riding gods !!!:bow

The most successful road legal tyre in European Championships with winning grip on all types of terrain and the potential to sustain multiple events. FIM and ACU approved.

I ran Trellborg 'Army Special' on my 450 and did ok with it in several events.... lasts forever on rocky stuff.... probably a bit too rigid for boggy mud though..... majority of stuff around Competa is big rock... you need a strong carcass and at least 15psi rear and a bit more front.... pinch punctures being biggest issue.......just my fourpence worth....

I really don't, no. Sorry. :(

Opinions on tyres really are poles apart.
Sure if the general consensus of opinion is that tyre X is great then it's not going to be a crap tyre, but it may be far from the best tyre for your riding style, your riding area or your bike.

It's the same with road tyres. I know people that hate Anakees and I love them (except they wear too quick). Lots of people rate Dunlop 207 and 208 RRs. I wont have them on a bike (and I'm not the only one). Tourances are OK but not the best :)eek: heracy!!) and Avon have made good tyres for years now.
There's plenty will disagree with all those statements.

Tyres IMO really are something you need to try for yourself. A mate you know ride's similarly may be able to point you in roughly the right direction but until you have tried for yourself all the opinions on them in the world don't really mean a lot.

Find a tyre you like (the gritty?) and look for something similar from the other manufacturers would be my advice. If you want more grip on the loose go for smalle blocks bigger gaps. If you want more grip on rocks go for one where the rubber feels softer.
Stick to the big brand names you won't go far wrong but you might be surprised by the lesser known makes.

Or get Mich AC10/Pirelli Scorpion Pro cos everyone has em. ;)

By the time we get to Spain, my bike will be wearing a Mitas CO-2 (HARD TERRAIN TYRE) on the rear.

c02.jpg

and a Mitas C-11 (SEMI HARD to HARD TERRAIN FRONT TYRE) on the front.

c11.jpg

Buy from WulfSport

:thumb

Greg

Just had a look at my bike which is still on its OE tyres.

It came with Metzeler MCE 6 Days Extreme tyres. Have a look on the link - there's all sorts of good words about knob geometry etc.

MCE_Six_Days_173X236.jpg

I have to say that they are very good and I would use them again (except I have a pair of new Mitas in the shed!!)

Greg

What are the Mitas like for mixed use? Right now I am 60% road and 40% dirt :( and my bike eats Metzler 6 day extremes.

They certainly perform well on the road, but I really can't say how long they would last on the road.

Greg

The Mitus C2 rear is superb. It lasts way longer than you'd imagine for such an aggressive tire and doesn't seem any worse on the road than any of the other knobblies I've used. When I was using them I was trail riding mixed terrain(road, rocky piste and muddy tracks). They are really good value too. I've not used the mitus front though.
The only downside to them I encountered is that the carcass is so stiff they are a real bitch to get on and off, but then you're less likely to get pinch punctures:)

ifi ts of any help i started of with mitas front and rear on my 525, great tyres and grip, went for mot and the tester failed the bike because the tyres did not have MST (multi service tyre) stamped on the sidewall,:eek: wasnt too bothered as i had got 1200miles out of the mitas green laning, now fitted michelin ac10 which are road legal, seem to give me just as much grip and happy so far but dont know what the wear rate will be like, covered about 300 mile on them so far and so far so good.
Just my experiences

ferret:thumb

Back
Top Bottom