Please prioritise my Green Lane Mods - F800GS

Blobby

Reaction score
I am going to use my F800GS 85% on road and 15% on green lanes so think I need to add a few bits. This bike is a toy, not a commuter so please would someone with green lane experience advise and/or revise my proposed purchases to make sure I will be buying bits in a sensible order as and when funds allow. This is my proposed list in the order I though seemed logical :

1. Puncture kit & tyre levers/spanners (something to carry them in?)
2. Hand Guards (F800GS ones)
3. Engine bars (probably Motec)
4. Centre stand (to make tyre changes easier)
5. Knobbies
6. Tank Bag
7. Taller screen
8. Maybe panniers but v. low priority

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. :thumb2

first advice,become a subscriber so you can look at the forsale adverts.and send messages:augie;)

Last edited:
A tall screen will be welcome on long road rides. But it could easily become a hazard off road. I almost had my windpipe crushed when I was tossed forward going over a whoop while standing on the pegs on my old WeeStrom fitted with a tall Givi screen. The chin bar on my helmet literally saved my neck.

David

Hand guards next - actually to protect the levers as much as anything. A good bashplate should be on your list 'cos that's third. (I recommend Adventure-Spec also for bars when you get around to them.)

It should have come with hand guards, but if not +1

Hand guards next - actually to protect the levers as much as anything. A good bashplate should be on your list 'cos that's third. (I recommend Adventure-Spec also for bars when you get around to them.)

A lot of this depends on where your green lanes are and the severity of the landscape?

:blagblah

I am going to use my F800GS 85% on road and 15% on green lanes so think I need to add a few bits. This bike is a toy, not a commuter so please would someone with green lane experience advise and/or revise my proposed purchases to make sure I will be buying bits in a sensible order as and when funds allow. This is my proposed list in the order I though seemed logical :

5. Knobbies
6. Tank Bag
7. Taller screen

Revised version:

1. Tyres TKC80's (personal choice, I have F800GS that does a lot of laneing)
2. Puncture kit & tyre levers/spanners, tyre soap and a means of adding air
3. Get a tool tube
4. Hand Guards (F800GS ones)
5. Engine bars (probably Motec)
6. Centre stand (to make all things easier)
7. Tank Bag
8. Taller screen (not sure about this, why?)
9. Maybe panniers but v. low priority (and only if planning trips)

:thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb

5. Knobbies
6. Tank Bag
7. Taller screen

+1

TKC80's

not on the F800, very poor wear expectancy... front ? rear 3000 klm

just build the bike to suit your needs not any one elses other wise you will end up with too much Farkles you may not require.

one would think crashbars, hand protection and good grip would be a good start.
:D

Thanks everyone for all your replies. That's a great help. In answer to a couple of questions raised...

...Most of the day-to-day lanes I will be doing will be Glos, Warwickshire and Worcs, but there aren't a huge amount in these areas and most are very easy going having driven a lot in 4x4's. They may be very different on a bike though. Wales is also on the list for weekend trips.

...I thought a taller screen would make the road bits easier but I will see how I get on with the standard first. My last two bikes have been naked bikes so I may well stick with the standard one.

TKC80's certainly look like the most exciting of the upgrades and just seem to look right on this bike but I will try a couple of lanes on the standard tyres before changing just so I can feel the difference when I do change. I must admit to being a bit nervous making the change from a CB with super sticky tyres to the F800 with knobbies. I can't help thinking that cornering will be very scarey by comparison.

Only 42 minutes until I get on my CB1000R to ride three hours to London to collect me F800GS and can't wait to ride the new bike home. Yesssssssss. :D:D:D

:thumb2:bow:bow Thanks again

I must admit to being a bit nervous making the change from a CB with super sticky tyres to the F800 with knobbies. I can't help thinking that cornering will be very scarey by comparison.

youl be surprised how well they handle on and off road. the TKC's handle very well on the road aswell. not brilliant in mud but do the job.

Only 42 minutes until I get on my CB1000R to ride three hours to London to collect me F800GS and can't wait to ride the new bike home.

Congrats! youl have a blast :D

bout the best thing you can do is ride it enjoy and modify or replace as neccessary. to easy:thumb

Would say Bashplate is a must as well. Adventure spec one is best imho.

Hi, I see you are from Gloucestershire, can I ask which part? I'm in the Forest of Dean and looking to purchase a F800GS or if too big the 650 (this is my 1st 'big' bike, only just passed my test) would rather the 800 as once bought I dont want the hassle/expense of upgrading at a future date! From your post it seems you are collecting your 800 from London, is this due to it being closer to you? I'm looking at either Stroud or Bristol (Bristol seem to be more popular with UKGSer's at the moment). :thumb

get some protective body armour and good boots :rob

phone :D

Dont go out on yer own - make sure the roads lanes trails are legal :rob

then yer bike bits
enjoy yerself :clap and it always seems to be either the first two or last two lanes that yer drop yer bike on or hurt yerself

If yer come up here give us a call/mail and I will show you around :D

HTHY

Hi, I see you are from Gloucestershire, can I ask which part? .... From your post it seems you are collecting your 800 from London, is this due to it being closer to you? I'm looking at either Stroud or Bristol (Bristol seem to be more popular with UKGSer's at the moment). :thumb

Hi Buz. I am 20 mins North of Cheltenham in a village called Teddington. I went to Park Lane in London since I wanted an F800GS right now and they had an 09 Demonstrator with ABS at a reasonable price so did the deal over the phone. Today was first time I have ridden one and I am REALLY pleased with it after just three and a half hours in the somewhat hard narrow saddle.

Err ... how much off-road / laning experience have you had?

Joining the TRF is always a good thing...

Greg

In 4x4's - lots and very recently. On bikes - none. That said, I used to ride trials bikes and scramblers a lot, plus farm bikes and managed 13,500 miles around and through the middle of Oz on a bike :blagblah. The significant point here is that that was 25 years ago as I am now 47 :rob and my agility is not quite a sharp as it was....but I am still happy to fall off - it just hurts more now :)

Good point re TRF. Thanks.

excellent advice.

get some protective body armour and good boots :rob

phone :D

Dont go out on yer own - make sure the roads lanes trails are legal :rob

then yer bike bits
enjoy yerself :clap and it always seems to be either the first two or last two lanes that yer drop yer bike on or hurt yerself

If yer come up here give us a call/mail and I will show you around :D

HTHY

Back
Top Bottom