to live with

The smudger

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am considering a 990 adv s. i do a daily commute of around 130 miles, some twisty, some boring. Occasionally tour (germany/france/italy). how practical would this bike be?

Any tips/hints/do's/don'ts

MPG?

TYRES?

DON'T BUY WITHOUT? (eg; exhaust's/luggage/gris etc)

Any general help would be appreciated!

Cheers, Steve.

Its hard to offer an opinion on this...

My only advice is to ride one. You will either like it - or not.

There are some weaknesses - as every bike has.
I know of some that have done 60K, 80K and nearly 100K miles.
Others have grenaded at 1.5K miles because Hans had a couple of beers over lunch and forgot to loctite some bolts.

Its NOT a fuel economical bike. Part of that is the bike, part is the rider (you cant help but twist).

If you are prepared to sort things out yourself - there are excellent technical resources on the 950/990's on the web. If youre more comfortable with placing your trust in a dealer (ala BMW) then some dealers are better than others... do some research.

re-MPG

Best for me on my 990ADV to the light was 170 miles on a tank , rode it like it was owned by the Mob to get that.

As for the bike,Test one but FFS keep it a secret or there all gunna want one.
:thumb2

Its hard to offer an opinion on this...

My only advice is to ride one. You will either like it - or not.

There are some weaknesses - as every bike has.
I know of some that have done 60K, 80K and nearly 100K miles.
Others have grenaded at 1.5K miles because Hans had a couple of beers over lunch and forgot to loctite some bolts.

Its NOT a fuel economical bike. Part of that is the bike, part is the rider (you cant help but twist).

If you are prepared to sort things out yourself - there are excellent technical resources on the 950/990's on the web. If youre more comfortable with placing your trust in a dealer (ala BMW) then some dealers are better than others... do some research.

I think most issues are sorted,but as you say need to get a good dealer which may or may not be local.Dont furget ya can bargin with a KTM dealer more than a BM one.Get the throttle cams thrown in,etc.(dont need em on mine):confused:

Ta for the tips guys,

I've read about the throttle cams, what are they and what do they do?

I must be honest, i rode one a while ago, cant remember if it was a 990 or a 950. General opinion is that the 950 is smoother, just how bad is this FI problem?

I just fell in love with the noise really, also it felt very nimble compared to the BM, (1200 GSA). I have got to say though, i thought the luggage was crap, very plasticky/easy to break. I'm discussing doing a deal with someone on a 990 adventure 's' on my K120 S. I love the K but its not practical, (comfort, license, license, ). if they do 'grenade', whats the costs, is it worth getting/extending the warranty?

Back
Top Bottom