Start/Finish Accommodation - 10th & 18th September

Magnum

Reaction score
As per a previous thread I have found a Hotel in Vevey that could be suitable as accommodation for the start and finish of the trip - the nights of 10th and 18th September 2009.

Hôtel-restaurant les Négociants is right in the centre of Vevey's old quarter and has recently been refurbished.

chambres_01.jpg

I have just spoken to the Hotel and here are their 2009 prices per room including breakfast, VAT and service. CHF=Swiss Francs.

1 person in double room CHF 128.30
2 persons in double room CHF 169.60

They only have 1 single room which is already booked.

The crunch is that they will only allow me to book 10 rooms, because otherwise it would restrict their opportunity to have other guests stay for a full week. Nearly all their double rooms are actually twin rooms, but it is quite normal over here to have twin beds pushed together for couples.

Including loftyboy there are 20 of us, less myself makes 19 including 2 couples which leaves 15. That means all the singles except 1 would have to share a room and both couples would have their own room. This may not suit everyone and there could be a huge fight for the only room not shared. The upside is you save money as the shared room cost would be CHF 84.80 each. Summary - 2 rooms for couples, 7 rooms shared by 14 individuals, 1 room with 1 individual.

EDIT: Just remembered swissrob is based in CH so depending on what he wants to do there may be another room available for single occupancy. Perhaps you could confirm Rob? Summary - 2 rooms for couples, 6 rooms shared by 12 individuals, 2 rooms with 1 individual each.

As stated before there is no private parking BUT there's a large car park very close by with dedicated bike parking. As long as any soft luggage is removed you needn't worry about security. This is Switzerland remember.

If this hotel isn't deemed suitable by the group I'll have to look outside Vevey for alternatives. However, Vevey is quite suitable for your first and last night in CH due to plentiful bars, restaurants etc.

What do you think chaps?

Good for me, just make sure I'm on a different floor to Yoy though.

Yeah, baby, yeah!

I have no issue sharing, but I've seriously been told I snore like a pig. Not all night, but apparently it can cause minor earth tremors in third world countries. Long story, but gave up smoking about 3 years ago and put on 3 stones. Just can't lose the weigh t

Sorry, dropped me chips then...

I also have no issue staying in a nearby hotel, or sleeping in France for that night :augie So long as it's within staggering distance of you bunch of reprobates, I'll be foine.

There's always the gas mask....

Yoy

err, no issue sharing...

I apparently 'snuffle' a little when I first fall asleep (for 5mins), but biggest 'crime' is my tendency to wake early and then 'rustle' my kit while getting dressed - so ideally pair up with a 'morning' person..... :)

Sounds Good to me :thumb2

PS i dont snore, smell, make funny noises , Sleep walk, do things under the sheets. (might fart depending on the drink ! )

Yoy your New Avatar images[2].jpg

accommadation

Im an early riser as well so I dont mind sharing , Ive been told that I stop breathing when Im asleep cos the snoring stops..:eek

I only want a bed for the thurs night ..

On a serious note...

..yes I have been known to snore, but it's not all night.

I can and do fart, but only after we've been properly introduced.

I will get up early if I hear the alarm or someone moving about.

Willing to try sharing, so long as I don't wake up to discover 50p on my pillow and a smirk on my room-mate's face.

Sharing a double bed, or twins too close together, is a no-no, unless you buy me dinner and flowers first. I'm an old fashioned kinda guy.

There ya go.

:thumb

Hotel

I will go with the majority on this for the first night.
But would prefer to be paying less for the remainder of the trip. I would rather be spending my money on Good food and wine of an evening. Rather than a bed for one night.
Is a discount not available for a group booking in light of the present economic climate?
The Campanile on the trip across France at 66 Euro for a twin is OK for me.

Just my thoughts not a criticism.

cheers

Gerry H.

I will go with the majority on this for the first night.
But would prefer to be paying less for the remainder of the trip. I would rather be spending my money on Good food and wine of an evening. Rather than a bed for one night.
Is a discount not available for a group booking in light of the present economic climate?
The Campanile on the trip across France at 66 Euro for a twin is OK for me.

Just my thoughts not a criticism.

cheers

Gerry H.

Good point well made:thumb2

I need to keep reminding myself of the exchange rate and use this site http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi

169 Swiss Francs = £101.00 at current rates

Gerry, appreciate your comments.

Switzerland is more expensive than France. Always has been, always will be. The standard of living is here is high and that means low unemployment, low crime and safe streets. Accommodation is generally of better quality here too and there is a cost associated with that. The other major contributor to cost is not only the falling £ but the strong Franc. 18 months ago you could buy 2.34 CHF for £1, now it's around 1.65 CHF. That's a huge difference.

I asked about a group booking discount, but this area of Switzerland is busy at this time of year and have no trouble selling rooms. This is why they will only let me book a maximum 10 rooms. The recession over here has only just started and it's tiny compared to that being experienced in the UK.

As we move out of highly populated areas I expect we will have access to more reasonable rates and the possibility of group discounts. Not forgetting of course that as per the original accommodation thread I intend to put forward two classes of accommodation - wherever possible - so that each person can have a choice.

Have to agree with the above TBH 160 is an average price, other options include www.bnb.ch but obviously then it wont be everybody in the same place.

Mark - what time were you thinking for the group to leave on the first day?

Well, Day 1 is quite long so we need to be riding by 9am. How far are you from Vevey Rob?

Back
Top Bottom