Biking In S America

NickC

Anybody got any recommendations on the cheapest/easiest/most straightforward way to get a bike to Venezuela?

Also how do you go about getting a Libreta - can you get it before you arrive there, if not how do you get your bike into the country without it etc..etc?

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Paging Tiffany C!

Seriously. PM or email her. From what I read about her trip in the latest BMW magazine and in the "Tiffany" section of this GS Travellers forum, you should get all the info you need. Better still, come down to Land's end on the weekend of April 17th.

Mike

NickC said:
Anybody got any recommendations on the cheapest/easiest/most straightforward way to get a bike to Venezuela?

Also how do you go about getting a Libreta - can you get it before you arrive there, if not how do you get your bike into the country without it.

Nick

Go to:- www.horizonsunlimited.com for chapter and verse.

When are you getting here?

Mick

Steve said:
.....when everyone else will be in Mid-Wales. :D

Tiffs' do is the following weekend Mike. :rolleyes:

And today's prize for being more awake than me goes to....

Mike

Nick

We flew our bike from Panama City to Caracus with Panalapina. We did have a carnet de passage. Fat lot of use it was. We thinks "get a carnet coz flying the bike into SA is sometimes the tricky bit" (It is OK when you are there without a carnet if you don't mind haggling when you get a border official on a bad day).

But oh know! The Venzuelans in their Latino wisdom, stamped every single page in the carnet with some unknown number for some unknown reason, then never filled out "their page", stamped the whole of the bike details direct into the passport and took a day and a half about it.

As for a libreta, never spoke to anyone who has had one yet, so don't bother.

When we left Venezuela, no one gave a rats arse about the bike paperwork (at least at the northern border with Colombia . . . )

HI Nick

A few people emailed me about this in the last 2 months - and now I can't remember if one of them was you - plus my hotmail account is notoriously unreliable.

I flew out of Caracas - I did the rounds of 20-30 shipping agents while I was there and went down to the port directly.
I couldn't get a decent price for sending by boat - in fact I got cheaper quotes for flying which is what I ended up doing
Juan Jose Mari is a Caracas-based shipping agent - nice bloke and he rides a bike.
email him: jjmari@telcel.net.ve

however for getting shipping info from Europe, you would probably be better off contacting agents at this end.
I used
www.hctravel.com

they were really good and came up with a good price.

good luck

Tiffany

Back
Top Bottom