HOW MUCH FUN WAS THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arcanum

Well, I took delivery of my F800GS on Monday, they remembered to bring the bike but unfortunately forgot the keys. We had a good laugh about that. Thanks to work and really crappy weather I hadn't managed to get out on her. . . until today.
Alarm clock set for 6am to be sure of some nice clear roads, I was up at 5.30 and after a wee bit of breakfast and a coffee I headed out to the garage with my sweaty little hand clutching the key to fun. She barks a little bit doesn't she? And the overrun pops, sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.
I really like the cockpit. Sitting position is great and the dials and computer info are easy to read, the buttons and switches are large, clear and very easy to use, but I'm not going to mention the indicators.
So off we go, a few butterflies in my stomach and a very eager throttle hand. The book says to hold her under 5000rpm while running in, which I did, but it was a real struggle. Does this bike just demand to be ridden on the ragged edge or what? I started off easy on the brakes, with them being fresh and all, until I had to grab a handful at one point and found a very satisfying bit of fresh air between the ground and my back tyre. Now I'm really having some fun, blasting through each gear to 5000revs and standing her on her nose for every corner.
Be very gentle with the new tyres for the first 200 miles says Steve, the salesman, ok say I. . . I had the thing on its ear within the first ten miles! Back end twitching and stepping out around roundabouts and heavy bends but not once was I worried she'd let go completely. It did take me a wee while to get used to the down shift though, I kept dropping gears too early and locking up the rear, that made a couple of bends a little hairy, but I've got the measure of it now. Oh, did I mention the overrun pops and bangs niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.
So, my first 70 miles was a roaring success, I can't wait until she's run in properly so I can utilise the full range of revs.
This thing is more fun than a wasp in ya jockstrap! Beemers, just for the more reserved rider!? Don't make me laugh!

Like you I picked up my new 650 yesterday (800 was a bit on the high side) I wont mention the indicators either. Glad you mentioned the overun popping, i've heard it a couple of times and as this is my first 'real' bike i wasnt sure if it should be doing that :blast and it is niiiice. Brilliant bike, starting to get used to it now, mind I'm just looking through the manual to see if clutch/brake can be adjusted, i have to strecth the hand/fingers to operate the levers and not happy with this.
When i mentioned 'running in' to salesman he said just get out and rev it, thats what they need, manual says less than 5k so sticking to that. Cant wait for tomorrow to get back out on it!! :clap

Like you I picked up my new 650 yesterday (800 was a bit on the high side) I wont mention the indicators either. Glad you mentioned the overun popping, i've heard it a couple of times and as this is my first 'real' bike i wasnt sure if it should be doing that :blast and it is niiiice. Brilliant bike, starting to get used to it now, mind I'm just looking through the manual to see if clutch/brake can be adjusted, i have to strecth the hand/fingers to operate the levers and not happy with this.
When i mentioned 'running in' to salesman he said just get out and rev it, thats what they need, manual says less than 5k so sticking to that. Cant wait for tomorrow to get back out on it!! :clap

Hey there Buz.

I'm not sure about the 650, but the 800 hundred has lever adjusters, maybe the 650 is the same, small nipples where the levers connect to the bracket. Push the lever away from the bar and turn the nipple, anti clockwise to bring the levers closer to the bars.
Just keep her under 5000revs until your check up service just to be sure. Salesman wants shooting for telling you to just rev it before it's run-in!:blast
Enjoy mate, I know I am.:thumb

By the way, there's a lower seat you can get for the 800, luckily for me.;)

Back
Top Bottom