SW-Motech Trax panniers - feedback req'd.

Possu

Reaction score
Thinking of getting a pair of 37 litre Trax panniers for my 950SE, anyone here familiar with them? They look sturdy & I can get them at trade price. Don't want to pay for TT stuff and there aren't that many other options for this bike.

I have a set of 37/45 for my F800GS. Used them on a recent (i.e. finished last Sunday :) ) tour of Europe. My views are:

1) I like the panniers - they are nice and solid. Had an off with them in sand and there was very minor buckling in one of the mount plates but it didn't stop me getting them on and off at all.

2) The rack they mount to is also SW Motech. Nice and solid but, on the F800GS at least the mounting screws (which have points) are really close to the plastic bits on the back. Have fixed it with oxford paint protectors (transparent plastic blobs that stick on). This seems to vary from model to model - those on the wifes Transalp are fine and well away from the plasticwork.

3) The only downside I have is that the rubber seal on the lid keeps sliding off. Am aiming to fix that with some bathroom sealant. Strangely my wifes panniers - errr at least those for her bike :D - which are also SW Motech don't have this problem and the only difference is that she has the all black ones and mine are silver with black lids. To be honest this is more of an annoyance than anything else.

Would I recommend this product? Depends - if I had the money I'd buy Metal Mule but these are, for me, a great cheap option and have seen us successfully through 3000 miles in Europe - mainly on road - and will be used when we eventually go through Africa. They definitely get a :thumb2 from me

Adrian

Bought mine in july last year. As above they are fairly solid. Mine survived a 20-25mph low side with just some damage to the plastic corner reinforcement. Bike has H&B bars on as well.

The rubber seal is a pain as it keeps coming off the lids on mine. But when properly installed they have been water tight, even after the slide.

Only problem I have is they are wide on a r12gs 44 inches iirc. I am hoping to get some of verns WB's shortly more room less width on the bike.

Back
Top Bottom