Unlocking CN NT 2009 on Zumo 660

Joybringer

Reaction score
If, like me, you've come this close to throwing the fecking thing out the window because there's no unlock code supplied with the unit (unlike previous Garmins), and can't use MapSource with your shiny new toy....

...here's how I sussed it.

1. Register the 660 online with Garmin. That will generate a 25 character unlock code (which isn't written down anywhere) and a 7 character registration key.

2. Make a note for the 25 character key.

3. Install the map DVD that came with the 660.

4. In MapSource, select Utilities / Manage Map Products.

5. Instead of choosing the obvious option and unlocking online, DON'T! Select the Unlock Regions tab, and click Add.

6. Enter the 25 character key you made a note of just now, and Bob's yer Uncle, Fanny's yer Aunt. MapSource will now recognise

This process may, of course, be completely obvious to those amongst us with superior knowledge :bow, but having spent the best part of 2 days trying to work it out, I'm quite chuffed with myself.

Clearly, I take no responsibility if this fries your Garmin or corrupts your hard drive.

:pullface

For closure, I just need to know WHY this version is regarded as a Region, and not a set of new maps?? I would phone Garmin, but I've already lost the will to live...

Enjoy.

PS is there a letter missing from the title of this thread???

If, like me, you've come this close to throwing the fecking thing out the window because there's no unlock code supplied with the unit (unlike previous Garmins), and can't use MapSource with your shiny new toy....

...here's how I sussed it.

1. Register the 660 online with Garmin. That will generate a 25 character unlock code (which isn't written down anywhere) and a 7 character registration key.

2. Make a note for the 25 character key.

3. Install the map DVD that came with the 660.

4. In MapSource, select Utilities / Manage Map Products.

5. Instead of choosing the obvious option and unlocking online, DON'T! Select the Unlock Regions tab, and click Add.

6. Enter the 25 character key you made a note of just now, and Bob's yer Uncle, Fanny's yer Aunt. MapSource will now recognise

This process may, of course, be completely obvious to those amongst us with superior knowledge :bow, but having spent the best part of 2 days trying to work it out, I'm quite chuffed with myself.

Clearly, I take no responsibility if this fries your Garmin or corrupts your hard drive.

:pullface

For closure, I just need to know WHY this version is regarded as a Region, and not a set of new maps?? I would phone Garmin, but I've already lost the will to live...

Enjoy.

PS is there a letter missing from the title of this thread???

You're an absolute star. Iwould never have figured that out by myself. Why is it necessary to go to a GS forum to achieve something that Garmin should make easy?

Thanks a lot.
:)

Wrong, the 25 character unlock code can be found in "MyGarmin" in the "Maps" section, which shows the latest maps registered to your unit.

Bummer,
Just found an orange sheet of paper in the box with the 25 character unlock code on it. Ah well.

Wrong, the 25 character unlock code can be found in "MyGarmin" in the "Maps" section, which shows the latest maps registered to your unit.

As I said at the time, it wasn't written down anywhere.

Neither was there the usual Yellow/Orange Coloured paper I've had with numerous other Garmin units. Maybe the first few didn't have this, but then again, a recent full swap unit I received, didn't have it either, but Dinger did :nenau

Neither was it on the website until I actually registered the unit. Thank you :augie

Back
Top Bottom