XC tyres?

Zorro

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I just got a X Challenge today but it has road tyres on.
Can someone recommend a good off road knobly tyre that is also good for road? I have TKC80s on the GS which are great. Is there a tube equivalent for the XC?
The search on this site has recommendations for aggressive tyres (AC10s, MT21s, etc) but that would be too much for me.
I intend to use it for easy ish off road / green-laning (Salisbury and South East TRF runs). Thanks

+1 for MT21's
Good off road but stable on road both in wet and dry, once you get used to them they're a pretty confidence inspiring tyre.
I bought mine on the recommendation of alot of guys both on here and advrider- been pretty happy with them.

MT21

MT21 aren't as aggressive as you might think. I'm no David Knight and they are quite capable off road, especially round Salisbury Plain were the because of the chalk etc the ground can be quite "sticky" when wet. They give good grip and don't suffer too badly from mud build up between the treads. And they are very good on the road. I know DavidJames uses them as well and neither of us have had any issues.

MT21 aren't as aggressive as you might think. I'm no David Knight and they are quite capable off road, especially round Salisbury Plain were the because of the chalk etc the ground can be quite "sticky" when wet. They give good grip and don't suffer too badly from mud build up between the treads. And they are very good on the road. I know DavidJames uses them as well and neither of us have had any issues.

Wot he said.:thumb2

What size rear is everyone using?

The MT21 is one of the few that comes in a 140.....or is a 130 better??:confused:

Matt.

Try the Mefo Super Explorers (Super Explorer on the Back and Explorer on the front). Am using them now on the XC in Kazakhstan / Uzbekistan ... longer life than the TKCs, and better in the sand and gravel.

If you cant find them anywhere, then use Heidenau K60s ... same tyre. German made ... hard compound rubber. I guess there's a sacrifice between durability and traction ... probably a touch less grippy than the TKCs on wet asphalt ... especially the first 500 miles.

Using standard 90/90-21 and 140/80-18

Back
Top Bottom