New to BMW :-)

Richie504

Reaction score
Hello all.

Thought I would post my thoughts as a new rider and one that is new to the BMW GS range.

After passing my test I was interested in the GS range of bikes, but unsure which to go for. I particularly liked the GSA and really wanted that. However, it's pretty bike and I was unsure if I could handle the size and weight being only 5ft8ins 31inch leg and 65kg. So I was moved towards the 800

Anyway I test rode the 800, 1200 and GSA back to back and here was my observations.

Loved it, quick, nice grunt, didn't get buffeted by the wind which I was worried about. Hand guards were a little small but heated grips helped. Loved the sound of it. It was a little top heavy for me and height wise just about manageable with the lower seat. However, I found that with the 21 inch front wheel I really had to concentrate steering on the bends. This is probably due to my inexperience but it is not something that I really wanted with a first bike.

Then the 1200

Brilliant!!!! Felt better balanced, better comfort and quicker. Felt allot more planted and the weight seemed more manageable especially at low speeds, feeling much less top heavy than the 800. Also lower so both feet down :clap. I felt that I didn't have to concentrate as much on riding it as I did on the 800. Wind protection was good, hand guards seemed the same as the 800 and could do with being a little bigger.

GSA

Well this is the one that I really wanted and stayed out the longest on. What a beast. Not as quick or agile as the 1200. I felt is was a little slower to respond than the 1200 but this was to be expected as it is heavier.
Great wind protection and felt really stable at speed.
But then at low speeds I didn't feel comfortable with it. I found the weight and height unmanageable when slow at slow speed.
Now that low seat! I've seen the reviews and have to say yes it is awful. My backside was numb after 10 mins and I found the suspension even on the comfort setting harsh. It was so different to the ride that I had had on the 800 and 1200. To be honest with the back issue that I already have this just aggravated it, wasn't happy and really disappointed. I can only think that the GSA being more orientated to offroad that the 1200 GS its suspension is firmer. I really wanted to like this one as well :blast

So in the end I went with the 1200GS with a few mods to make it look more like a GSA. Think this is the best for me as I'll be mostly on the road doing long journeys and the 1200 just felt allot more natural to me to ride than the other two.

Maybe when I get more experience I'll come back to the 800 as that was a hoot!

Anyway just my two pence worth. Bike arrives Wed!!!:bounce1

Hi Richie welcome along, good luck with the new GS, great intro by the way..........:thumb

Thanks all. Just been nailed by Nippy Normans and Rugged Roads as well and I don't even get the bike till Tue!!!! lol

Oh and I find myself single again!! Ho Hum!! :augie

Back
Top Bottom