F650GS wannabee nOOb...

Blind Lemon Ade

Reaction score
Greetings!

Now this looks like THE forum for GS's...

I am being tempted by an F650GS twin. In red. I don't know why; me an' the Missus sat on one at the London show, and thought it was rather nice, so I'm thinking of chopping in my Fazer 600.

I spoke to a dealer t'other day, (South London BMW) and he confused me utterly...

Now I'm 5'8" and under-endowed in the leg department, so the lowered seat option appeals; also t'Missus occasionally rides a standard ER5, so it would be good if if fitted her as well.

I'm not an intrepid off-roader, but the thought of a gentle green lane appeals, so the bike would mainly be used for one-up joyrides, two-up weekend breaks, and occasional cross-channel forays.

Mr Dealer was of the opinion that the 650 may not have sufficient torque for two-up touring, and perhaps the 800 would be better, except I'd need a box to get on it...

Will a factory-lowered 650 twin cope with 2-up plus luggage ? We're not big people, 131kg between us, but the load limit is 150kg when lowered; will this be a problem ?

Is it better to go for standard suspension with a lowered seat, rather than lowered suspension with a normal seat ? What's the effect on yer bum ? Reviewers keep saying the seat is uncomfortable, but I've not had me test ride yet, so I don't know. :confused:

Then there's all the other options to consider...

(I've been reading all the threads about seat height, and recalls etc, and it's all very useful stuff!)

Any advice ?

Yours in confusion,

Ade.

Greetings!

Now this looks like THE forum for GS's...

I am being tempted by an F650GS twin. In red. I don't know why; me an' the Missus sat on one at the London show, and thought it was rather nice, so I'm thinking of chopping in my Fazer 600.

I spoke to a dealer t'other day, (South London BMW) and he confused me utterly...

Now I'm 5'8" and under-endowed in the leg department, so the lowered seat option appeals; also t'Missus occasionally rides a standard ER5, so it would be good if if fitted her as well.

I'm not an intrepid off-roader, but the thought of a gentle green lane appeals, so the bike would mainly be used for one-up joyrides, two-up weekend breaks, and occasional cross-channel forays.

Mr Dealer was of the opinion that the 650 may not have sufficient torque for two-up touring, and perhaps the 800 would be better, except I'd need a box to get on it...

Will a factory-lowered 650 twin cope with 2-up plus luggage ? We're not big people, 131kg between us, but the load limit is 150kg when lowered; will this be a problem ?

Is it better to go for standard suspension with a lowered seat, rather than lowered suspension with a normal seat ? What's the effect on yer bum ? Reviewers keep saying the seat is uncomfortable, but I've not had me test ride yet, so I don't know. :confused:

Then there's all the other options to consider...

(I've been reading all the threads about seat height, and recalls etc, and it's all very useful stuff!)

Any advice ?

Yours in confusion,

Ade.

Welcome Ade ... you're amongst friends now so relax :thumb

Normal suspension low seat every time :)

Low suspension two up and you'll be draggin' yer stands on tarmac every roundabout.

Go test ride, test the comfort.... horses for courses and all dat. Seats, like helmets, like bike's, are all subjective ... best o' luck matie :beer:

:beerjug:

Geraldine

I got a lowered F650GS called Geraldine. I'm past the first service and no issues so far (touch wood). She's fantastic and i would recommend one to anyone. My only issue is i can't stop adding bits and pieces and have gone farkling mad.. I have a 28 inside leg and find her just the right height.

You go for it.

I dont have a 650 (1200 gsa) but dont get fooled thinking that a 650 will be under powerd. Get the bike that suits u and a lower seat u will b fine looking at max weights will wreck u'r head its not Ryan air. I'm 110 kilos my passanger not far off if we were to do the sums we would have to get a trailor for any luggage enjoy JJH

Thanks, chaps !

I hadn't considered ground clearance, 2-up with lowered suspension - seems sensible to stick with standard suspenders, and go for the lowered seat.

I'm looking forward to adding bits to it already - lots of advice on here, about screens and stuff... I blame the Touratech catalogue my mate made me pick up at the Lonon show!

Now, ABS - is it essential to the resale value of the bike, as a dealer was quoted as saying somewhere here, or is that just a ruse to sell more ABS ? Personally, I'd do without it... what do y'all think ?

Hi and welcome.
I've the standard 650, 29" inside leg, think I maybe should have had a lower seat but getting used to the height, just remember road cambers and slopes.
As for ABS, i went with the comfort pack, heated grips, centre stand and ABS, thing is you can switch ABS off if going offroad but you cant add ABS as an after market thing. Looking through past threads and I think its better having it than not. As they say its a personal thing, get down the dealers and have a test drive, I went to Brizzal and they were very helpfull (not much use you being in Kent i realise) :thumb

So, I've read all the posts about the F650GS radiator hoses, the headlamp bolts, the aerial loop, the ignition mapping, and lastly the final drive chain...

...and I wonder, is it worth it? Why don't I just buy a H*nda instead?

Now, in my yoof, I was a Ducati fanatic, owned the 250 single, 900SS bevel-twin, Pantah 600, and raced the belt-cam 900SS. And I did it because I loved the marque and its history, for some strange reason.

So is it the same with BMW? Do you buy one because you love the idea of owning one, and just put up with the inconveniences? Or does the pleasure of riding it, outweigh all the problems?

Or do I just think about stuff too much?

The Ultimate Question...

So, here it is, the ultimate question...

The one that really matters...

F650GS twin owners, if your bike was stolen or written off, would you buy another one, just the same ?

Yes, after i'd test ridden the 650 with low seat, just to make sure... but i believe thats just a confident thing......:thumb

Ideally it would have been the 800 but as i've said, too bl00dy short :blast

Buz,
Are you talking (1)Low Seat on Standard frame or (2)Low Seat on Low Suspension setup?

Curious as I have 29" inner leg and one dealer said " (1)" and another dealer said (2)

Buz,
Are you talking (1)Low Seat on Standard frame or (2)Low Seat on Low Suspension setup?

Curious as I have 29" inner leg and one dealer said " (1)" and another dealer said (2)

I'd be inclined not to listen to dealers regarding seat height - you gotta go try them for size. Also, you'll be surprised what seat you can handle - I've a 31" inside leg and ride a 12GSA with the seat on the high setting (more room for tools under it ) and an HP2 - you simply get used to using one foot to balance the bike.

HTH

Don't be put off by the seat height "thing".
I'm 29" i/l and fit my 800GS with standard seat just fine. Remember, the suspension settles when you sit on it.
You may fine the standard seat a tad on the firm side after 50 or so miles, but you'll find the low seat a damn sight firmer (less padding).
The 650/800 is a very good bike, but the 800GS is much better. You should try the 800ST too, or the new 800R although it's bloody ugly.

just test ride the bike, if you like it buy it.

dont buy the bmw image, cos honestly its shat,either
pipe and slipper club, or charli borethelivindaylights man stereotype

if you want, buy a new 800 duville they do the job your looking for and not to high. and will give you less hassle.
if you want a gs, buy a gs and learn to live with it and its bumw quirks.

Why, thank you kindly, Duchess...

Some excellent plain speaking above, chaps! That's what I need!

Just looked at the H*nda "Dullsville" - God that's boring! Even compared to my Fazer it looks like a wet Thursday afternoon in Sidcup (and I know whereof I speak...)

At least the BMW has style, love it or loathe it!

now you have seen how dull other bikes can be, there is only the gs to tempt your wares :):):)

i think you know what you want, and really you wont regret.

you just needed to see the bigger picture

Ah cain't git no... demonstration...

I done gone down to the dealers,
Fell down on my knees,
I done gone down to the dealers,
Fell down on my knees,
I said, "Please. Mr Cooper, lend me one of these..."

He said, "We sure have got one, son,
we sure have got one of them!
yesiree, we got one, we sure have got one of them,
but it's on extended loan,
to a customer with a broken chain..."

Dang !

So, back to SLM, then...

:(

(...but at least I have established that the normal suspension with the lowered seat will be suitable for my truncated appendages. Now, how's the pillion seat for comfort ? Anyone done 6 hours on it anywhere ?)

Back
Top Bottom