World Record attempt !

James Bryan

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Over the weekend of the 19th - 22nd June some 200 riders will be attempting to break the current world record for the number of riders completing 1,000 miles in under 24 hours.

http://www.rblr.co.uk/content/RBLR1000.html

This attempt is being organised by the Royal British Legion to mark the 65th anniversary of the D-Day landings, and to raise funds for their poppy appeal.

I'm due to start my clockwise northern route, (Manchester-Penrith-Glasgow-Wick-Inverness-Edinburgh-Newcastle-Leeds), at approx 08:30 on Saturday 20th .

Both the northern and southern routes start and end at Squires cafe in Sherburn-in-Elmet .

If anyone is interested, I'll post some indicative timings nearer the event , so that you of a cruel disposition - rare on this forum I know - can wave as we pass , whilst downing your favourite brew before retiring to your warm , safe , comfortable pits. I'm already jealous!

No guarantees however that you'll see me go past , as given my GPS skills I may well end up in Clonakilty - I usually do.

All the best , Jim .

May see you there:thumb2

A mate and I are lookng at joining the attempt. Trying to get time off work to do it, and I wouldn't like to think we'll have too much of a problem given the fact that we wear the "baggy green skin"

Jim, my mate and I are definately in. We got 2 of the last 8 places so attendance is gonna be good, given that they are limiting it to 200.

Coincidental, but we are doing the clockwise northern route as well:thumb2

I will be on a granite grey '06 K1200S and my mate will be on a blue XJR1300, tip your hat if you see us:beerjug:

Wish I could get the time off but good luck to all of you!

:thumb2

:clap

Here's to an excellent do!

Stu -- We'll look out for you, give us a wave as you leave us behind - I'm familiar with the rapidity of "baggies"!

Clint, Dave and I will be on an RT, 1200GS, and a 1100GS - unless I fail to source a RS's rear disc in time to replace mine. In which case I may have to use my KTM - MUCH harder work.

See you @ the briefing?

All the best, Jim.

I am also doing the northern clockwise route. I will look out for you at the start. Graphitan 1150GS, 02 plate :cool:

Anyone else participating?

GJ

Done!

A humbling experience, people were completing this event on sports bikes, Hardlys, and one heroic soul on a Vespa!

And there was me on my beloved 1100GS, complete with 33 litre tank, only managing to finish because two of my friends were generous enough to stay with me while I slept on the forecourt of the Berwick on Tweed petrol station for an hour! But for their kindness, I'd still be there - fast asleep.

Lessons learned: -

a/ - speed is your enemy - it eats your petrol, saps your energy and gives rise ultimately to the stunningly obvious thought, "how come I keep on overtaking that Hardly/Tedium/Strop?"

b/ - do not attempt this unless you have slept well the previous night - sleep debt is not funny, sleep deprivation even less so.

c/ - ride with friends who ride like you do - they'll look out for you, you'll look out for them & at least one of you will be adult enough to state the cruel truth. Or, ride on your own, but see above (second para.) for the pitfalls of this approach.

d/ - the bigger soul knows when to quit - I have most admiration for the 11 individuals who were big enough to call it quits, rather than continue & push themselves beyond their safe limits.

e/ - keep your receipts safe & dry - someone had to return to Plymouth to collect a receipt left @ the petrol station!!

f/ - consider how you are getting to & from the start/finish - I really wouldn't have wanted to have had more than my 34 miles to home from the finish, added to the 1100 odd of the ride itself.

g/ - carry some petrol proof tubing - you will come across stranded peers, usually in the middle of the Great Glen @ 01:30, and passing by is not an option.

h/ - work out some way of dealing with boredom - music - mental gymnastics - something that will prevent your mind from wandering, allowing you to focus on the job in hand, twenty three hours is a long time.

N.B. -- I'm going for the 1,500 mile jaunt, if possible this year. But this time I'm going to exercise a little wisdom and a lot more humility than I did this time.

All the best, Jim

PS - if anyone sees that Vespa rider, PLEASE let me know, as I'd like to buy him a drink.

My attempt failed before the start :(

As I approached Squires, I closed the throttle to slow down for a roundabout, only to find that I didn't slow down! Struggled to Squires to find the engine refusing to idle below 3000 rpm.

The problem was quickly diagnosed as a frayed left throttle cable but, try as I might, I couldn't stop the cable snagging the outer sleeve. So, I abandoned the attempt on the basis that it was hard enough to do the ride with a fully functioning bike!

I limped home, called Motorworks and went to collect a full set of cables for the princely sum of 81 quid :mad:. Sod of a job to do, but I managed it in about 3 hours of cursing and swearing. By which time, of course, it was too late to do the ride.

I have resolved to do by own "Saddlesore 1000" some time this year.

GJ

:clap Well done guys. My mate and I made it with 45 mins to spare.

Lessons learned: -

a/ - speed is your enemy - it eats your petrol, saps your energy and gives rise ultimately to the stunningly obvious thought, "how come I keep on overtaking that Hardly/Tedium/Strop?"

Yes and no. Excessive speed definately is. My mate and I finished with 45mins to spare which over 24hrs wasn't alot and didn't allow for any issues. On my own I reckon I'd have done it comfortably in 20-21hrs. Progress needs to made on the A roads when safe to do so cos if you don't it soon eats into you rest time.

b/ - do not attempt this unless you have slept well the previous night - sleep debt is not funny, sleep deprivation even less so.

2 pints and an early night saw to that:D

c/ - ride with friends who ride like you do - they'll look out for you, you'll look out for them & at least one of you will be adult enough to state the cruel truth. Or, ride on your own, but see above (second para.) for the pitfalls of this approach.

Aye. It can be frustrating having to hold back a lot... but then it we were 2 mates out for a ride and we got the job done.:thumb2

d/ - the bigger soul knows when to quit - I have most admiration for the 11 individuals who were big enough to call it quits, rather than continue & push themselves beyond their safe limits.

Fair play. Especially being of our 'background' it isn't always easy to call it a day

e/ - keep your receipts safe & dry - someone had to return to Plymouth to collect a receipt left @ the petrol station!!

A plastic zip bag saw to that ;) (admin, it's a personal thing)

f/ - consider how you are getting to & from the start/finish - I really wouldn't have wanted to have had more than my 34 miles to home from the finish, added to the 1100 odd of the ride itself.

224 miles there and back which is why we stayed over friday and Sunday nights. I did notice a few trailers and vans tho.

g/ - carry some petrol proof tubing - you will come across stranded peers, usually in the middle of the Great Glen @ 01:30, and passing by is not an option.

It was my mate and I who were stopped with them when you tipped up :) They hadn't stopped for fuel since Wick, completely by-passed Inverness...'Oh, we were going to stop there!':blast

And...If you do stop in the pitch black on an unlit road and 2 of you have hi-vis jackets on DON'T get the woman all in black to jump out on the road to flag down the traffic :eek:

h/ - work out some way of dealing with boredom - music - mental gymnastics - something that will prevent your mind from wandering, allowing you to focus on the job in hand, twenty three hours is a long time.

I-POD. Surprised me, with the exception of a couple of hours I listened to it all the way round and on the way home (3.5hrs) and it's still got just under half battery left.

N.B. -- I'm going for the 1,500 mile jaunt, if possible this year. But this time I'm going to exercise a little wisdom and a lot more humility than I did this time.

I quite fancy that myself. I told Pete I'd have joined him if I'd known about it.

PS - if anyone sees that Vespa rider, PLEASE let me know, as I'd like to buy him a drink.

If it's the same bike I believe it was a girl who rode it and she was shaking like a leaf (fatigue I think) when she pulled in at @0800 on Sunday morning.

Back
Top Bottom