What's so good about an X Challenge

squid

Reaction score
They are not cheap and appear to need lots of money to turn into an adventure bike.

There must also be better off road bikes for the money?

And don't they have an air shock which can fail?

So what do you get for all that wonga?

To be fair, I don't think it was ever intended as an adventure bike. It's a green laner and a damn fine one IMO.

The Dakar (in Turnertech trim ;)) is by far a better adventure bike and still a capable green lane tool.

The airshock can fail, but then so do normal shocks so I don't buy that being an issue.

You do get a far better warrantee than is offered from any other manufacturer on a bike designed to go off road, and they will repair it when it has been off roaded.

You also get a far better range of Touratat goodies on offer because it's a beeemur :D:D:D

Would I buy one........yeah

Would I swop my Dakar for one............nope, not until I know that I will only ever ride on the local lanes and have no desire to tour Europe.

Still don't get it. There are plenty of green lane bikes which can be had for less.

I agree the Dakar made a good mid weight all road / distance bike. The Tenere seems to have taken that spot now.

The GS800 doesn't come across to me as a replacement but a gap filler.

So is the X Challenge just an expensive Green Lane bike with no other strings to its bow?

Why would fitting a bigger tank and better seat from the off stop them being just as good off road? You don't have to fill em right up every time.

For BM to have a Dakar now might well be a bit close to a GS800 but it appears to me the X Challenge left too big a gap. I assume they didn't sell so well due to talk of them being dropped soon.

Genuine dual-sporter. Try doing 100mph on your average 'green laner'.
Doesn't get blown about on the road and engine is quick/flexible enough.
Very capable offroad due to great suspension and tractable engine.
An XCh will do a much greater variety of trails in more weather conditions than any GS.

100 miles before reserve, unless you get the TT tank.
As for your arse tolerance, only you can know. I'm an ex-despatch rider so it doesn't bother me. Known to be better than KTM seats though.

With regards to the price, I have to agree they seem expensive at the moment because they are not being made anymore so second hand ones seem to be holding their money quite well. Not sure if the BMW off road school have them this year but the ones they sell of are good value.

I only use mine off-road and have just done the Tarenig Rally on it. I bought it specifically for doing big trail bike rallies and I have no complaints. Just fit a big sump guard, 14 tooth front sprocket, decent tyres and off to go.
The air shock squeeks a bit in hard use. I find it's action a bit odd after a standard shock but you get use to it. As for price - £3.5k for a bike from a BM dealer with 500 miles on the clock and a years warranty left. Bargain of the century in my book!

But not as quick

and heavier:toungincheek
I like the 650 BWM's but speed wise I thought my old 640 Adv was OK with a maximum indicated of around 105 mph and yes it was heavy with a full tank but with a few litres of fuel in each they do not feel so different apart from one has plusher suspension :D

EDIT - you are right, the KTM has a dry weight of 10kgs more than the BM. I am surprised as it does not feel that different

Back
Top Bottom