I'm getting excited!

Jaguar

Hello everyone:D
After 5 years out of the saddle (5 years on Harleys before that) I've just bought my first BMW: 1200GS.
My 110 mile per day commute from Bagshot to Stevenage is getting stupid:firemth:firemth
Not only is there roadworks on the M3 making the beginning of my journey a pain, but there is now 10 miles of contraflow/road widening on the M25 north of the M40, and the Hatfield Tunnel on the A1M is about to be contraflowed as well!
There's only one way to avoid holdups like that: 2 wheels:)

I'm used to a big fat Harley, so hopefully the GS won't feel too wide when I'm filtering for mile after mile. I'll let you know!

I pick the bike up on Saturday, or before if I'm lucky. Meanwhile I'll be reading every thread for useful stuff before I start posting dumb questions.

Welcome to the site :thumb

The GS will be just as wide with a good set of panniers fitted ;)

Welcome to the site :thumb

The GS will be just as wide with a good set of panniers fitted ;)

But when you're leaning the bike from side to side to get the bars past van mirrors you'll need to remember the boxes on the back! DAMHIK:augie

Welcome to "The Forum" for GSers. After a five year lay off don't forget that nearly all drivers are either incompetent, half asleep, doing their make-up, using the phone, eating or are just plain and simple biker hating homicidal maniacs.

Enjoy:beerjug:

Can I recommend Sidi Courier boots?!

They are perfect for those moments just after a near impact with an oblivious driver changing lanes as you can turn out your toe and scrap a very sweet line down their door as you accelerate past them with the handily placed steel toe protector

Thanks for the welcome :beerjug:

I'm well used to having to think for every other idiot on the road :rolleyes: so hopefully no scrapes or spills. I need a new pair of boots so I'll check out the Sidis! Not that I would dream of behaving aggressively to any half-asleep halfwit ;)
I'm hoping not to use the panniers most days. My laptop won't fit in the topbox, but if I can find a waterproof strap-on (ooh er missus) bag for the back then I hope to keep the width down.
I seldom had a problem with the Harley, just the occasional Merc or white van numpty.

Good news! I've just spoken to Vines in Guildford and they're going to have the bike ready for Thursday :bounce1
BMW Motorrad have just given me a great quote for insurance, so I'm off shopping for those Sidis:D

A word of warning to new GS'ers...
Collected the bike from the dealer last Thursday with its full tank of fuel.
Filled up today, then embarrassingly it kept stalling as soon as I put it in gear.
After half a dozen attempts I finally realised the kick stand was still down!
:jes
Duh!

A word of warning to new GS'ers...
Collected the bike from the dealer last Thursday with its full tank of fuel.
Filled up today, then embarrassingly it kept stalling as soon as I put it in gear.
:jes
Duh!

You wont do that many times!!!:thumb

.......................... it kept stalling as soon as I put it in gear.
Duh!

:D

that happend to me too but fortunately
there was no one looking

the stand was down when i tried to start

cottoned on fast enough tho!!
:)

:blast mate it's an easy thing to forget :blast
welcome onboard and glad you are enjoying it.

Welcome
My bike is a 650 and without panniers can filter on our 'motorway' around Dublin. The 'upgrading' works has produced some of the narrowest lanes known so the trucks and 4x4's with wing mirrors at the same height as my mirrors are a constant hazzard on top of the car drivers who have no clue. I know that it is a pain to sit for of hours going nowhere on this motorway (depending on my workload for the day, I often have to take the car) but either almost no one in Dublin uses their wing mirrors or all drivers hate motorbikes as you say. When I am in the car I always try to make space for bikes. Unfortnately my top box also will not take my lap top and I don't fancy the imbalance of having it on my back so will have to look for another solution.

I'm nearly through my first week of commuting round the M25 and A1M.
The contraflow roadworks (10 miles of it:() give me a choice of 2 narrow lanes full of lorries, or a single lane full of cars. I've tried both and have decided the single lane is preferable.
In general, filtering isn't too bad. There's always the odd car who is either deliberately obstructive or just plain stupid (funny they are almost always Mercs).
I've dispensed with the panniers. I'm going to get a waterproof bag for the laptop and strap it to the pillion seat.

Back
Top Bottom