Dakar bikes limited to 450cc

MitchMan

Breaking News regarding bike engine size regulations for Dakar 2010 (and 2011).

"On two wheels the measure was expected by many for a long time, indeed only bikes with engines of under 450cc will be accepted on the race for 2011. For 2010, an adjustment is kept for the amateurs owning 660cc allowing them to compete with a bridle. The professionals will compete on 450cc as soon as the next Dakar."

http://www.dakar.com/index_DAKus.html

Does this mean BMW might put in a factory Dakar effort with the G450X in 2010/2011?

MitchMan

what the fecks a bridal ?? some sort of restrictor???

Cool - Maybe now I'll be able to afford one the the ex-Frontrow GB 690 Rallye's :D

Keep practising with them C90s guys and gals, another 2 years and you could be in with a chance....

:tears

Cool - Maybe now I'll be able to afford one the the ex-Frontrow GB 690 Rallye's :D

I hadn't thought of that - all of sudden there will be a dearth of 690 Rallyes on the market :drool

Does anyone think the same will happen to the UK rallye scene - the 600cc plus trail bikes are getting thin on the ground - although Patsy Quick and Stan Watts were riding 690R's at the Tarenig along with Craig Bounds on a BMW 650.

You cold say rallyes and becoming enduro's!

I hadn't thought of that - all of sudden there will be a dearth of 690 Rallyes on the market :drool

I hope so - been lusting over one of those for a while but just haven't been able to spend the money on one. Problem is - I'd use it off road and you'd find me crying when I inevitably dropped it!

I'm guessing Honda, Yamaha and BMW are happy with the decision:

pc080049.jpg

100_0489.jpg

pelli1.jpg

Maybe, combined, they've got more long term clout than KTM :nenau

Makes you wonder if BMW were aware of the new rules coming in as they decided to drop the X Challenge for 2009 and put alot of money into the 450 Enduro team, nicking all of KTM's best riders in the process.

Wonder how this decision will affect sales / second hand sales of the KTM 690 enduro?

well that is good news if ask me,

means there be more advantages for privateers and make for more competitive race.

should make no huge diff as rider placed 3rd on yam 450 last year

the 2wd was nice set up, there is nice after market kit for the honda and meant to be much better than the yam 2wd

Back
Top Bottom