Microphone issues

nedflanders

Reaction score
Has anyone hooked up an intercom microphone to the 2.5m input on the Zumo lead, I've tried and when I phone someone they say the volume there end is so low it's virtually inaubible, anyone tried this with any success, went to intaride today and output from the intercom is spot on so either it's a problem with the Zumo or cradle :confused: , anyone in the Stafford area fancy helping me out?:(:(

I have the same problem but I am not sure where it is going wrong. Zumo to Autocom via cable, output from Zumo to aux 3 on autocom I think (standard stereo lead) and Zumo mic to autocom aux 1 using the autocom standard phone lead. Phone to Zumo via bluetooth.

I can hear the person on the other end of the phone with no problem but they can barely hear me.

The autocom mic lead also has a speaker connection which shouldn't be doing anything but i'm not sure if it has any effect. I was gooing to make up a lead which just has the mic and earth connected but I haven't had time to do it yet.

Did you ever find a solution?

Is there a solution for the low volume from the microphone that doesn't involve spending more cash for a bluetooth interface? Apart from the money, there isn't much space left under my seat, i had enough trouble fitting in the autocom and the toolkit, huge maplin ground loop filter just fits in the space under the tool tray with a spare headlight bulb so i could do without any more extras!

I have the audio out from the zumo via a filtered lead to autocom aux3, and zumo mic in wired to autocom aux1. Everything works fine (except maybe the volume reducing to 50% when I speak, but I can live with that) but the caller on the other end says they can hardly hear me. And there is interference when the engine is running but if the volume was OK i could live with the interference.

I have connected zumo mic to aux1 using the autocom standard phone lead and also made a new lead that only had the earth and mic connected in case the aux1 speaker connection was doing something. i also disconnected the autocom and plugged a skype headset directly into the zumo audio out and mic sockets. It didn't seem to make any difference in any configuration, I could never hear clearly on the other end of the phone. I was testing it by putting an FM radio in front of the mic on the bike end and listening to the phone on the other end which is not exactly a normal call but it should have worked.

What is going on? Is this just crap design on the part of garmin or is there a fault somewhere?

For me:
HTC Diamond phone - connected by BT to...
Zumo 660 - connected by cable and BT to Autocom..

As Wiz says...
==snip==
You must get a Bluetooth headset dongle and plug it into Aux 1 on the Autocom. Then you pair the Zumo to the dongle.

Next you connect the standard 3.5mm music lead from the Zumo to Aux 2 on the Autocom via an isolated music lead. It has to be isolated as both the Zumo and the Autocom are bike powered, so other wise you'll get a crackling in the speakers known as ground loop interference.
==end snip==

I got Roy of RGM (Croston) to install the Autocom when it was in with him... He powered the Autocom from the rear light and the Zumo from the battery - he said this would help prevent ground loops - I think (was busy looking at the bent bikes he had in and wincing at the time)

I then bought the bits Wiz suggested - it all works great

Instantly solved all of my volume and connection issues... I have upgraded my firmware - but tbh I didn't have problems beforehand with my BT connections...

:beerjug:

I bought an Autocom part...
Can't remember the number now... 128x I think
Autocom has a special black box with three leads that works with the Can-Bus system and the Autocom unit. Dealer installed it on my bike.

Back
Top Bottom