Examiner/instructor opinion sought.

earthmover

opinionated, me?
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Denise rides a KTM 125 LC2, which is an import and has MPH figures superimposed over the clock. The "instructor" who took her for some practice around the manouverability section of the test yesterday has told her that she will not be allowed to take the actual test on her bike, because of the speedo. She will need to use a different one, or hire one of theirs. Is he talking out of his arse, or what?
Informed answers only please.
Ta.
Mark

Hi Mark

I'm told by a colleague, who runs Safebiker Motorcycle Training at Widnes, that it's true.

She won't be able to take her text without the correct speedo or maybe an inserted mph background thingy.

So it is an informed opinion, but not mine!

Cheers

Dave

The DSA have stated that they will no longer accept bikes for test which have MPH stickers on the outside of the speedo.

It takes the pish. They specify the special manouvers speeds in KPH and then ask for a MPH speedo.

It takes the pish. They specify the special manouvers speeds in KPH and then ask for a MPH speedo.

yeah but that's not the DSA's fault.

The new test is European legislation which is why it's in KPH. The idea was to do with standardising the level of training across the EU or summat.

The bit that amuses me is that a fat lad on a moped on a windy day might struggle to reach the required speed even if he's the best rider the world has ever seen....

The key is that the DSA aren't out to fail you. If you don't reach the required speed, you do get a second chance. If you screw it up twice then there's a good chance that you were maybe not ready to be taking the test? :augie

Thanks for the replies folks. Does anyone have an old speedo lying around off a trail bike? (21" front wheel) :blast
Mark

The Instructor is correct. If you look at http://www.dsa.gov.uk/Documents/MPTC/2009/dsa_atb_newsletter_issue_13.pdf
it details the vehicle requirements on page 2.

It does however seem a farsce that it passes C & U and MOT needs but not this test, which is measured in KPH:blast

Thanks - I knew it was in there somewhere. :thumb2

Speedos can be in MPH or MPH & KM/H but overlays (i.e. MPH sticker over the top of KM/H speedo) are not acceptable.

I'm sure the regulation is due to the potential inaccuracy of the sticker, but as has been pointed out the speed you are intended to achieve is in KM/H so having a KM/H speedo SHOULD be an advantage, not an impediment.

One to take up with the DSA I think...

In the meantime, rules is rules, so change the speedo or hire/borrow a bike for test.

Fil,

You can't expect the Dual Standards Agency, sorry, I meant the Driving Standards Agency to be consistent, surely?:augie

MSL

There is a article in the July edition of the above magazine re the DSA and the new Test for bikers :augie

speedo

Or fit a pushbike speedo at around 5 pounds. Calibration takes around 15 minutes. Absolutely accurate.

Why not fit a GPS with it hanging over the speedo so the speedo is not visible, then have the format put to large for speedo in MPH. Finito...

Or fit a pushbike speedo at around 5 pounds. Calibration takes around 15 minutes. Absolutely accurate.

Both these ideas currently under consideration, as well as a Trailtech motorbike speedo off my Honda. The mechanical speedo idea was a good idea, as I have an old Husaberg one, until someone pointed out that the gearing on the unit would need chaging. :blast
It really does seem to be bureaucracy gone mad though.
Mark

Last edited:
i got told a gps is not good enough/legal as you dont have a speedo when its out of range????ie, in a tunnel etc

Back
Top Bottom