zumo 660 - ac adapter

WindyChuffer

Reaction score
Has anyone worked out how the supplied AC adaptor plugs into the Zumo 660 unit?

- The manual doesn't mention where it plugs in. (Yeah i get the bit wot plugs into the mains socket...lol).
- The car adapter mount has a mini USB port, which accepts the AC mini USB connector, but that doesn't power / charge the unit.

Grr.

try the mini usb hole under the battery cover

- The car adapter mount has a mini USB port, which accepts the AC mini USB connector, but that doesn't power / charge the unit.

Grr.

That mini USB port is for a Traffic Receiver.

As already said, the mini USB behind the battery door is what you need to charge the unit.

Garmin actually missed a trick with the car mount. If they had made that mini USB port a 'full connect port', it could have been used to charge the unit and contect the 660 to a PC without keep removing the door, the seal of which might fail with too much use ?

Oooh - thats a reet pain in the jacksie.

Battery door isn't exactly easy to open + I missed that connector. Shite manual too as no mention of that connector...

I agree that Garmin have fecked up by not making the car mount mini usb port full function.

Guys, after 2 units returned to the supplier I figured it out.
This @#$% mini USB connector on the car mount was getting fried after 2 hrs of charging.
You will need to use the one under the battery cover...
Called Garmin and they were surprised with the news, after reading your thread now I am definit it is a common problem.
Garmin suggested to replace the part but I decided to decline as this seems to be a common problem with ALL units. SO I returned it to supplier.:(
Hope this helps...:mad:

Guys, after 2 units returned to the supplier I figured it out.
This @#$% mini USB connector on the car mount was getting fried after 2 hrs of charging.
You will need to use the one under the battery cover...
Called Garmin and they were surprised with the news, after reading your thread now I am definit it is a common problem.
Garmin suggested to replace the part but I decided to decline as this seems to be a common problem with ALL units. SO I returned it to supplier.:(
Hope this helps...:mad:

As said above, the mini usb on the car mount is supposed to be used for the Traffic Receiver only.

Did it actually charge your unit ?

So to charge it whilst driving in the car I need to open the battery cover and plug into that instead of the car thingy...? What use is the car cable then at it fits mu power outlet and the side of the car mount... You're right... this makes no sense at all :nenau

So to charge it whilst driving in the car I need to open the battery cover and plug into that instead of the car thingy...? What use is the car cable then at it fits mu power outlet and the side of the car mount... You're right... this makes no sense at all :nenau

No, you use the special lead that plugs into the flat looking connector on the RH side of the car mount :augie

As said before, the mini usb on the back is for the traffic receiver only.

Plus the zumo will not operate while the battery cover is removed.

No, you use the special lead that plugs into the flat looking connector on the RH side of the car mount :augie

As said before, the mini usb on the back is for the traffic receiver only.

Plus the zumo will not operate while the battery cover is removed.

Ah thats what I though! I was certain my car adaptor plugs into the side... but it's late, I'm tired and will start to believe anything! :)

As said above, the mini usb on the car mount is supposed to be used for the Traffic Receiver only.

Did it actually charge your unit ?

Yes it did, in the manual it mentions that you can use it to charge your device.

i cant get the computer to see the zumo when plugged into the car mount USB. is that normal as well as not being able to charge through it?

you have to take the fiddly door off to connect to a computer as well?

i'd look in the manual, but there doesn't appear to be one :rolleyes:

i cant get the computer to see the zumo when plugged into the car mount USB. is that normal as well as not being able to charge through it?

you have to take the fiddly door off to connect to a computer as well?

i'd look in the manual, but there doesn't appear to be one :rolleyes:

I wonder how many times it has to be said?

Quote about the car mount :
>the mini usb on the back is for the traffic receiver only.

The clue is in the answer :blast

Yes, you have to take the door off the 660 to connect it to your PC.

The manual is available on the Garmin website page for the 660

I wonder how many times it has to be said?

Quote about the car mount :
>the mini usb on the back is for the traffic receiver only.

The clue is in the answer :blast

Yes, you have to take the door off the 660 to connect it to your PC.

The manual is available on the Garmin website page for the 660

thanks for that.

sorry to put you to so much trouble, but at least you know your work here isn't yet done :rolleyes:

thanks for that.

sorry to put you to so much trouble, but at least you know your work here isn't yet done :rolleyes:

Sorry, I'm having a bad hair day :beerjug:

Quite why Garmin put a standard usb on the back of the car mount and then restricted it's use is a mystery. :nenau

If you have trouble getting your PC to see the 660 don't forget to try the Garmin USB drivers you can download.

Sorry, I'm having a bad hair day :beerjug:

Quite why Garmin put a standard usb on the back of the car mount and then restricted it's use is a mystery. :nenau

If you have trouble getting your PC to see the 660 don't forget to try the Garmin USB drivers you can download.

s'ok :)

it's absolutely counter intuitive to have a partially functional USB socket on a device IMO :eek

Well that sounds like a great improvement over the 550 :rolleyes:

Any other 'value added' pearls in the 660 that I am missing out on :nenau

hard to say, as i have never owned or used a 550.

i can say that, USB issue apart, i'm pretty impressed with the 660 so far.

it's bigger than i thought it would be, with a large screen (so handy for us old crocs with fading minces), but still very pocketable.

connects to my old install of CN 2010 with none of that serial number malarkey, but it must be a slightly different version as it wants to recalculate transferred routes.

Back
Top Bottom