D-day & Normandy - where to see?

Taro

I'm pondering on taking my first bigger trip on a bike (and first time in Europe) for a week or so in late August. Current thoughts are between the Alps and the D-day & Normandy area...the Alps are slowly losing out because of the thought of too many hours on the Autoroute.

So if I go to Normandy with an interest in all the military bits what are the must-see destinations? Is it worth visiting all the beaches or is one much like another? Best museums? Best guides? Best central campsites or B&Bs? (Bearing in mind that I wouldn't mind doing some fun riding as well if there are any good roads around?)

Any advice happily accepted!

taro

Might I suggest you make yourself a large coffee then sit down and click trough some of the links on this page?

Look in particular for threads by MikeP, Invicta Moto, Clive and Tarka, as they are people who spring to mind as having an interest and a flair for ride reports, but there have been many many great threads about the area and what to see there. (we even have a particular section about battlefields and places of military interest)

The search button near the top of the page is your friend...try putting in the names of anywhere you have heard of in Normandy or associated with WWII and there's a pretty good chance it'll have been written about or mentioned here.......

.... So if I go to Normandy with an interest in all the military bits what are the must-see destinations? Is it worth visiting all the beaches or is one much like another? Best museums? ... Any advice happily accepted!
As Bill says the search button is your friend, but here are a few pointers for you. Search on St Mere Eglise, Point Du Hoc, Arromanche, Omaha Beach, the American cemetary above Omaha Beach (probably the most memorable part of your trip) the Merville Battery, Pegasus Bridge, Cafe Gondre, the Pegasus Bridge museum (about 100 yds away) the Blochaus, La Cupole - site of the V2 site etc etc.

You could always pop over the border into Belgium and Germany to the Mohne Dam etc as its easily doable in a day. :thumb2

If that won't keep you out of mischief for the best part of "a week or so" there's no hope for you. :D

August.....hmm
Dont hang around,get your accomadation sorted sooner rather than later or you may struggle.
Plenty of links for b and b in the threads but my fave is Adrian Cox at Arromanches.
Have a nice trip :ronno

As Bill says the search button is your friend, but here are a few pointers for you.

If that won't keep you out of mischief for the best part of "a week or so" there's no hope for you. :D

thanks for the pointers :clap searching I can do but without knowing the specifics to search for it was getting tricky, now I have a starting point

No problem Taro. Just remembered another one; but there's a very interesting site in Western Germany just outside Nordhausen, called Mittelbau Dora where the Germans moved assembly of the V2 rockets to underground tunnels after Peenemunde was bombed. Spent about 4 hours there and must say it was well worth a visit.

IIRC it was pretty close to the Harz mountains, so there should be some good roads nearby as well. :thumb2

The best bit about Normandy is the fact that you can find loads of stuff to do and things to see without actually worrying about a 'big plan'. The area is so rich in history (also visit Bayeau to see the tapestry, well worth it) that it's impossible to get bored. Best of all, you'll never fit it all in and you have to keep going back for more. :thumb2

Attachments

• 55.jpg
    55.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 317
  • 58.jpg
    58.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 317
  • 59.jpg
    59.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 302
  • 78.jpg
    78.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 315
  • 80.jpg
    80.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 307
A few pictures from the 65th in Normandy last week.

562610145_wPuaN-XL.jpg

562610787_LX3Fj-XL.jpg

This is John Ernandez from the Ist Infantry ('Big red one') who waded onto Omaha beach in the 'second wave'.

562613920_j8kSb-XL.jpg

Back
Top Bottom