BMW Rider Training (On-Road)

EasyTiger

Just back from 8 days at the World of BMW's training school in the Brecon Beacons. I couldn't fault it.
Top 09 kit - I'm short and they gave me a nippy and manoeuvrable 650 cross-country thumper, while my co-learner rode a meatier F650 GS twin. System 5 helmets, BMW textiles, oversuits. From CBT to Full DSA test in that time - currently slow manoeuvre test at the Wembley-sized test area in Swansea, riding test in Merthyr. Great Burger vans and cafés - South of Storey Arms by the reservoir, in particular - the owner dished out Fairy Liquid for my visor to cope with that Welsh Mist.

Top instruction from an unbelievably patient master of his art (and believe me, I tested Ian Rogers to destruction). The same guy throughout, which means absolute consistency and graduated learning. Female instructors there too.

The area has a rich selection of roads, so you can poodle round town, flow through A Road curves, and pin back your ears on the dual carriageways - in fabulous big hill scenery. Local examiners were friendly and afterwards mine stopped to chat - he even asked what kind of bike I would get (have a guess!) - that took a lot of the strain out of the tests.

Lavish B&B accommodation available to help recovery, local pubs and free pre-and post-lesson tea and sympathy. The BMW Biker-friendly B&B has a guest sitting room with all the riders' mags, DVDs and books by the usual adventurer suspects - Kevin Sanders' trips etc. Worth knowing as a base for exploring mid-Wales in any event.

Another benefit of? 8 days currently (June '09) on offer for the price of 6!
Can't wait to join you on the roads...Just got to find that factory-lowered twin...

I done my test with them, mid you it was the old test not the new one. I done a 6 day course probably too long as i had been riding dirt bikes since 1979. I agree with everything and i know its not realistic but if everyone got training like that the standard of riding would improve. I know it is not practical but if you can afford it you should go down that route. Let me explain on the BMW(and i guess other DAS) you cover a massive milage while learning. When i was training with BMW we would easily cover 250 plus miles a day by the end of the course i had covered well over 1000 ,miles nearer 1500. There was little emphasis on trundling round the test route learning to pass that route. The extra time and milage afforded you the luxury of really learning to ride the bike and the route was just a formality. I know there are many different scenarios but for people who have not ridden on roads before this residential course is ideal. I can only speak for the BMW course and it was absolutely fantastic my instructor Tilley was an ex police rider and he was brilliant.

Just read your post again looks like they changed the test site, mine was i think in a place called neath(could be wrong but it was 10 mins from BMW site) the examiner was called pete. Need to look up that place i sat the test :augie

Just read your post again looks like they changed the test site, mine was i think in a place called neath(could be wrong but it was 10 mins from BMW site) the examiner was called pete. Need to look up that place i sat the test :augie

Yes you did do your test at Neath and the examiner was Peter Pass (not joking!!!!!!!!!!)

They have now closed Neath for bike tests and they are conducted at the new multipurpose test centre in Swansea.

Enjoy :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom