Got my G450X...not amused with dealer...

WindyChuffer

Reaction score
Well I got my 11hour G450X on sat from a BMW dealer.

Wasn't amused to find that:

a) The service book wasn't stamped up (PDI + 10hr service).

plus

b) The rear brake was spongy as hell.

Looking at it, one of the rear brake pads wasn't fitted correctly. The lower part of the pad has a shoe that locates in the base of the caliper. The caliper has an anti rattle lining, which was bent preventing the pad from being installed. Consequently pad was only held in place at the top by the pad pin, was unable to be squeezed by the caliper and got a bit munched but the wheel hub as it rotated.

Had to take caliper (& wheel) off to be able to remove the anti-rattle caliper lining to straighten it & re-fit correctly.

c) 'Cold' uncaring response from dealer when mentioned this on the phone. Called re getting service book stamped, and mentioned brake fitting as feedback. Didn't seem bothered to be honest, and was hurried off the phone.

A pain in the ar*e, not the end of the world as relatively easy to rectify. But pretty piss poor seeing the bike has come straight from a BMW dealer :blast.

Oh, and no offer of help to load bike onto trailer. Should you really have to ask? Hey ho, managed by myself - good practice and all that; but not the point.

On a positive note, a learning point here - be careful installing your rear brake pads !

What is it with these frikkin dealers?

Well I got my 11hour G450X on sat from a BMW dealer.

Wasn't amused to find that:

a) The service book wasn't stamped up (PDI + 10hr service).

plus

b) The rear brake was spongy as hell.

Looking at it, one of the rear brake pads wasn't fitted correctly. The lower part of the pad has a shoe that locates in the base of the caliper. The caliper has an anti rattle lining, which was bent preventing the pad from being installed. Consequently pad was only held in place at the top by the pad pin, was unable to be squeezed by the caliper and got a bit munched but the wheel hub as it rotated.

Had to take caliper (& wheel) off to be able to remove the anti-rattle caliper lining to straighten it & re-fit correctly.

c) 'Cold' uncaring response from dealer when mentioned this on the phone. Called re getting service book stamped, and mentioned brake fitting as feedback. Didn't seem bothered to be honest, and was hurried off the phone.

A pain in the ar*e, not the end of the world as relatively easy to rectify. But pretty piss poor seeing the bike has come straight from a BMW dealer :blast.

Oh, and no offer of help to load bike onto trailer. Should you really have to ask? Hey ho, managed by myself - good practice and all that; but not the point.

On a positive note, a learning point here - be careful installing your rear brake pads !

What is it with these frikkin dealers?

They've got your money.....................so hey-ho they think

Some BM dealers can be strange but my guys (Woolastons) are always very good with me, I rang to book mine in Monday morning and they said come over any time to suit me, and they supplied an r1150R as a courtesy bike.

I really should call them to see what the news is, but to be honest I am dreading it after taking my HP2 in for a service 12 months ago and never sitting on it again :(

Surely you wasn't expecting help loading a 450x onto a trailer. Are you taking a backup crew with you when you go out riding just in case you fall off and need a hand lifting the bike up. I agree you have an issue with the brake pads but you don't have to go over the top and just moan for the sake of it. Where did you get your bike from? my dealers have been great for service and parts and haven't had any issues at all with them.

Surely you wasn't expecting help loading a 450x onto a trailer. Are you taking a backup crew with you when you go out riding just in case you fall off and need a hand lifting the bike up. I agree you have an issue with the brake pads but you don't have to go over the top and just moan for the sake of it. Where did you get your bike from? my dealers have been great for service and parts and haven't had any issues at all with them.

Sammo - I think you're taking this a bit too strong. Its not a moan, its a report. Note I refrained from naming the dealer, and don't intend to name them publically.

FWIW, I get my 1200GSA on and off my trailer + strapped/unstrapped all by myself, so no, wasn't expecting or needing help.

Thing is, its polite to offer. Just like I offer a hand to my mates, and they do the same wrt bikes & trailers. Its general good karma and all that...

So what did you gain from putting it on here for, apart from having a moan and trying to paint a bad picture of the dealer. I'm sure people here are pretty much not interested in whether you were offered help to load a light weight bike onto a trailer, you should have thanked your sales person at the time for NOT helping you. i'm sure it would have had greater effect. My dealer actually supplied me with a bike and took me green Laning to see if i liked the bike before i decided to purchase mine, did your dealer do this??

I think that a Dealer not fitting brake pads correctly is definitely serious enough to warrant Posting on :augie

This raises an interesting point, because yes perhaps it should have been spotted in PDI but I thought the bikes came in wheels fitted and as this is a 10 hour demo bike there should have been no reason to swap pads out or even take the back wheel out unless it had been seriously raced somewhere or pulled apart for other reasons.

Yes, and if you had read my post properly you would have seen that i agreed with that point about the brake pads. It was the moan about not getting help loading the trailer i was referring to, i thought it wasn't even worth mentioning.

Trouble is that half the dealers out there are not interested in the G450x It would be worth going to a dealer who has an interest in the product. The guy at my local dealer races and rides one all the time and as these bike need constant attention its worth getting in with somebody who knows them inside out

It does look like three of us are using the same dealer and they just happen to have some off road fans in sales and and Steve as the champion for the GX.

Yes, and if you had read my post properly you would have seen that i agreed with that point about the brake pads. It was the moan about not getting help loading the trailer i was referring to, i thought it wasn't even worth mentioning.

So by your rationale, you'd stand around watching your mates load
/unload a bike on/off a trailer without offering to help. Hmmm.

We are all quite capable of unloading all the shopping from the car, but a helping hand is always nice and gratefully received.

Chill dude...relax....take a chill pill.:blast

i don't think starting a thread pointing out faults and customer care problems provided by a dealer and then not naming them is fair on other dealers (if the facts are true)... people will look where you live and assume you're referring to your closest dealer.. which if it isn't them is sort of tarring them by default

Missing the point lads - new bike = loads of hard earnt dosh and the gleam is taken off. :comfort Hope you enjoy it. Don't keep too clean for long

i don't think starting a thread pointing out faults and customer care problems provided by a dealer and then not naming them is fair on other dealers (if the facts are true)... people will look where you live and assume you're referring to your closest dealer.. which if it isn't them is sort of tarring them by default

Well I'm not going to name them in public. But I will say its not a dealer thats local to me. Soz if that doesn't suit you.

No not at all, but if i had a problem with someone not offering to help me when i might of needed it then i would say at the time, not go on to a forum and tell everyone else, and then not even have the balls to name the dealer in question. If it did happen then why shouldn't the Dealer get to know about it, it would be a lesson learned for them.

Mate - the matter has been dealt with privately between me and the dealer. Many ways to skin a cat, so sorry if my way isn't in line with yours. End of. :thumb

No not at all, but if i had a problem with someone not offering to help me when i might of needed it then i would say at the time, not go on to a forum and tell everyone else, and then not even have the balls to name the dealer in question. If it did happen then why shouldn't the Dealer get to know about it, it would be a lesson learned for them.

Mate - the matter has been dealt with privately between me and the dealer. I don't feel it appropriate to name and shame in public. Many ways to skin a cat, so sorry if my way isn't in line with yours. End of. :thumb

Have had dealings with ~6 BMW Motorrad dealers over the years and of all of those there is one that stands out miles ahead of the rest: Vines of Guildford. Was a shame I didn't get to buy my used G450X from them, but if you look at the used stock on a mottorad national stock, there was a choice of 3 last week, so hands tied on dealer choice somewhat.

Souds like crap service ,quite normal for bmw dealers.I had many issues with them on old GS1200.Alas for brake defect, that not very good.I would seriousley take them matter up with them/bmw.If you only see what i do in job as vehicle inspector,i,ve come across far worst.That why its KTM for me.

Back
Top Bottom