Advice required

patboy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have never owned or used for that fact a GPS device. I tend to have a good memory or read the map which is not always ideal when riding. I keep looking at them in the for ''items for sale page'' because they tend to come with all the bike fixtures and cables etc. I'm tempted to buy one secondhand as people tend to update their kit, and sell off the old stuff and then be in the position of using it when I do a long trip. Normal day to day commuting, I really would not have any use for one. Any advice re models, or do I really need one :)

My last long haul was from Sainte-Maxime to Calais via a number of pre-planned overnight stops. I printed off street plans from Autoroute and hotel websites to help with the last couple of kilometers but otherwise I used an A5 sized atlas from the AA. If you are comfortable with a map then you don't need a sat-nav but there are times when they are invaluable. I still remember , long ago, trying to negociate the North Circular when England were playing at Twickenham and stopping to look at the A to Z was suicidal . I sell these devices and am constantly offended (allright, nauseated) by the clowns who boast that they cannot read a map. The choice is either a new unit, covered by the makers warranty, or a second-hand device of hopefully known provenance. If all you need is something to take you to a destination as it sees fit then any car unit with a sandwich bag over it will do the job. If you want to plan a route according to your own preference then some earlier Garmins (browse the forums here for information) might well be more suitable if you can get one at a sensible price (and Garmin don't support units bought from online auction sites if I remember correctly).

I would never set off from home on a trip without one Patboy. People will tell you that you can buy a lot of maps for the money ... yes you can, but they miss the point.

People will tell you that they like 'getting lost' ... well you still can, turn it off. Fact is I've found some cracking motorcycling roads by using the GPS. You can download routes you've created at home using the computer, and a good map alongside, to use at a later date, on a tour etc.

My advice, no doubt others will be along soon to proffer theirs, would be to get a Garmin... what they don't know about GPS's isn't worth thinking about. Buy second hand by all means, get the best/latest that you can afford. With the new Zumo 660 just coming out then no doubt there will be plenty of 550's up for sale, which would probably be your best bet.

Buy a new Zumo 660 and you'll be set up for a few years.

I run the BMW Navigator III+ and it's great, but maybe somewhat outdated. Mapping down to street level for the whole of Europe ... BUT I have a S/H Garmin Quest (£100 off e-bay) for using with the Word Map, or Topographical maps of the UK and Morocco.

As a f'rinstance, went to the Pakistan Embassy in Bradford today for our Pakistan Visa's. Put the address in and it took us straight there, to the door, how clever is that ;)

Jump in at the deep end and buy :thumb

:beerjug:

Following on from Mickey's post, first, what is your budget ? having decided that then cut your cloth accordingly.

Agree with Micky, Garmin is hard to beat, you may still find a Garmin Quest (V1 was better than V2), also 2610 was reliable ol' brick and still luvved by many, 2620 had hard drive so prone to failure and never biker intended, 2650 was 2610 with dead reckoning. SPIII was original and forerunner to 2610 and getting dated but may suit a first timer.

More recent is Zumo 400/500 series now latest is Zumo 660 which has a Nuvi form factor, also Nuvi 550 is an entry level with latest spec.

Also consider the cost of the mounting, (mount + cradle + power lead) it can add extra cost.

Even if you start with the humblest of models, say Garmin Nuvi 200 series it can be mounted.

Buying off ebay should (IMV) come with a buyer beware warning, so check the item being sold offered is same, it has all bits, nox box, manual or usb should sound warning bell does owner has unlock code (colored slip paper) and will seller inform Garmin of change of owner. Any hestiation or waffle, walkaway.

Top advice from Mickey and Ram-Man :thumb2 especially the last sentence from Ram-Man; eBay is an utter minefield when buying a used Garmin, don't bid without knowing exactly what you're trying to buy. If you're unsure then leave well alone or ask someone here to check out the auction and offer advice on questions to ask the seller. Obviously no guarantees offered but there's a number of knowledgeable people on here that could help prevent you buying a 'door-stop'/'paper-weight'.

Ram-Man missed out the StreetPilot 2720 and 2820 from his list, these fall between the 2610 and the Zumo in terms of vintage and use the later mapping as used by the Zumos, this provides full postcode searching and potentially a longer life as support/updates for the older mapping type (as used by the 2610, Quest, SPIII etc.) won't continue much longer by all accounts.

I have a 2720, it does all the sat nav stuff very well but doesn't have the fancy extras like Bluetooth, MP3 player, lane assist etc. Cost me £155 of eBay over a year ago, great bit of kit and won't be replacing it any time soon.

Thanks guys for the advice. I would probably buy secondhand from a fellow Tosser before Ebay, but may also think about new, which would keep me going for a good few years

Back
Top Bottom