DRZ400 speedo problem - help needed please!

RDub

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,

My DRZ400 speedometer display unit seems to have an intermittent fault – I’m hoping somebody may be able to help me work out what the problem could be.

The problem is the unit is working OK then it goes blank, then all of the LCD digits light up and then it settles down into normal mode. It’s as if the unit has been turned off and on again, or is resetting itself.

The next part of the problem is that it does this totally intermittently:

1. Sometimes when I turn on the ignition the unit doesn’t turn on and it only comes on when the engine is started.

2. Sometimes it comes on when the ignition is turned on and works fine. But when the engine is started – it then starts to suffer from the problem.

3. Sometimes it comes on when the ignition is turned on and starts playing up straight away before the engine is started.

4. Sometimes it comes on when the ignition is turned on and is fine. The engine is started and it’s still fine, I then pull away and – it starts to suffer from the problem.

I have wriggled the connectors attached to the unit – sometimes this causes the problem to happen and other times it doesn’t. So I don’t think it is the connectors.

I have tapped the unit gently to see if it might be something loose inside or a poor connection or soldered joint – again sometimes this causes it to happen and other times it doesn’t. So I don’t think it is this that is causing the problem.

Also the battery seems to have lost charge recently (although I have been away for a few weeks) – could a fluctuation in the battery voltage be causing the problem? Could there be an earthing problem – would that cause the unit to reset?

Has anybody encountered a similar problem please?

Any ideas to help pinpoint the cause would be very welcome.

Cheers

Are the rest of your eletrics working fine? Do you have a good strong headlight beam?

I found out last weekend that if the main fuse blows the LCD flashes on and off intermitantly. But that can't be your issue as your starter is still working.

Thanks for all of your help and ideas.

Seems the most likely cause is corrosion in the connector or inside the unit itself.

I'll have a good look over them both at the weekend and let you know what I find.

:beerjug:

The solution....

Update as promised.......

Speedo – this was a poor solder connection on a diode (I think it’s a diode) which is surface mounted on the main PEC board. I think the vibration loosens the connection. A fresh dab of solder fixed the problem. This is a well documented problem on the Thumper Talk website. Thanks for the pointer to that website. :comfort

Battery – the speedo has a permanent positive feed and draws a small amount of current to keep the clock on time. Eventually this drains the battery if the bike isn’t used or a trickle charger connected. I just leave the battery disconnected now.

Cheers :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom