Free training anyone?

LiquidLAN

Reaction score
I've not done a search on this, so please forgive me if it's been posted already.

Bit cheeky, but I've been sent this on another forum/mailing list, its outside my area so no good to me, but never know if any of you might be interested...

bloke from the serv list said:
No doubt you are all aware that if you get caught speeding or having had an accident whilst riding a motorcycle the police may offer you the opportunity of rider training at a cost of about £145.00 instead of paying a fine or getting points on your license.

This entails you to six hours of classroom motorcycle instruction carried out by a company called Drivetech in conjunction with the Thames Valley Police.

It was on the BBC TV local news about three weeks ago that the Police have decided that this training can be offered out to any motorcycle rider in the Thames valley area free of charge subject to availability

I applied through Drivetech and have now been offered a course on the 30th June totally free, at one of their training centers. This one is at Upper Heyford, If any of you are interested see the following website: http://www.saferrider.org/ which will then lead you on to: http://www.drivetechride.com/ Its got to be good if its free and leads to safer riding, eh!, and the only thing I've had to do is book a day off work.

I've had a look, it's kind of first come first server, but a free course is a free course... so fill your boots!

We talked about this at Oxfordshire Motorcycle Forum last week - the Police rep heavily recommended it. It's run classroom-based, but still looks good.

Definitely a recommend.

cool, cheers for the positive feed back on this :) I think a mate of mine has done one of the courses in preference to points of a ticket - it was a while back, but from what I remember he rated it fairly highly.

As far as I can tell, the only down side is that its classroom based, but hell, free training is free training.

I nearly signed up seeing as its free.
Bu then I had a moment of paranoia and thought - in the event of "needing" such training (should that happen) would "they" notice I had already done it and then not be offered it??
Anybody Know?

there was a bit of a discussion about that on the mailing list I got the info from... I think the simplest answer is give them a call and ask.

Judging by who seem to the the worst road users round here it would probably be more effective if offered to car drivers :augie:augie:augie

Used to live in Oxford so know what you mean. Round here it's old people taking a nice drive through the New Forest 'cos it's a sunny afternoon, and yes 20mph is quite fast enough. What, a motorbike, of course I didn't see you, with your spotlights, and nasty big bike coming down the main road as I was looking at the pony while pulling out at less than 1mph. And you want to overtake me because I am doing 20mph? Oh no, no, no that won't do so as you start to overtake me I will swerve into the middle of the road to try and stop you.

None of that really spoilt my ride this afternoon. What really did was that the ford had no water in it :(:(:(:(:(:(

Back
Top Bottom