What's best then

Zoton

15mg and rising
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Oil lvl check-
Washed the bike, warmed it up went for a 3 mile ride to dry it off and warmed up to check the oil as in - on the centre stand in the garage did the 1min 4 bars warm up check then checked the oil.It was at the lower level of the stick with no bubbles.(no oil added)

Same day:

Warmed the bike up,went for a 45mile bash, straight into the garage , centre stand 4 bars warm for 1 min then checked the oil,it was at the top of the higher level with the bubbles in the oil.

Which is right :blast

Gonna be split opinions, but...

...all the Dealers I've spoken to (5 off) have said 'follow the book'. That's run the engine from cold until 4 bars show, switch off for 20secs (IIRC) and then check the level.

I mention it, as I've also been intrigued as to why the LC8 seems to get oil to expand several times its own volume under 'operating' temperature. I've had the same results as you. Never noticed it on other marques I've owned.

Having topped up 3 times now, using the book method seems to work fine. For me, at least.

Good luck!:thumb2

PS - I don't do mine on the centre stand (I don't have one!). That may give an inaccurate reading??

From recent experience, I'd say just letting it warm up to 4 bars isn't enough, I did that and now the bike's way too full, I'm just about to go out there and drain some out again. I'll stick to checking after a good ride from now on.

Also I'm not sure if there are different angles on the ADV but on the superduke you really need both wheels on the ground for an accurate reading.

Why can't manufacturers just set the oil level from cold, it would make checking so easy.......or am I missing something?

.I mention it, as I've also been intrigued as to why the LC8 seems to get oil to expand several times its own volume under 'operating' temperature. I've had the same results as you. Never noticed it on other marques I've owned.

Its not that the oil expands. It doesnt.

The issue is that the LC8 is a 'dry sump' motor. The scavenge pump sucks oil from the bottom of the engine into the oil tank/cooler.
Under normal operation, most of the oil should be in the tank/cooler. However, when the motor is not running, it is possible for it to leak down into the motor.

So, the idea is to run it for long enough so that the scavenge pump has done its job and the oil level in the tank has reached equilibrium. (Running long enough to reach 4 bars from cold should do that (with a decent margin of error))
The oil may be aerated though ... so thats why you wait a couple of minutes for it to settle before taking a reading on the dipstick. While the oil is aerated, it will read artificially high.

Its not that the oil expands. It doesnt.

The issue is that the LC8 is a 'dry sump' motor. The scavenge pump sucks oil from the bottom of the engine into the oil tank/cooler.
Under normal operation, most of the oil should be in the tank/cooler. However, when the motor is not running, it is possible for it to leak down into the motor.

So, the idea is to run it for long enough so that the scavenge pump has done its job and the oil level in the tank has reached equilibrium. (Running long enough to reach 4 bars from cold should do that (with a decent margin of error))
The oil may be aerated though ... so thats why you wait a couple of minutes for it to settle before taking a reading on the dipstick. While the oil is aerated, it will read artificially high.

That's a brilliant explanation! Thanks!

I was just clutching at straws. This place is a mine of information :beerjug:

Yoy

Back
Top Bottom