ERS No Thanks

Boxerboy55

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I had one of these Enhanced Rider Scheme (ERS) sessions today, as advertised via DVLA / Directgov web page.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/RidingMotorcyclesAndMopeds/DG_4022666

Enhanced Rider Scheme for motorcyclists
Become a better rider by taking training to improve your riding skills. Talk to a professional trainer about taking the Enhanced Rider Scheme (ERS). As well as developing new skills, you can also get insurance discounts with the majority of motorcycle insurance brokers.

Who should consider taking ERS training
The ERS is training designed for fully licensed motorcyclists who would like to improve certain areas of their riding skills.
As training is tailored to your needs, you do as little or as much training as required - mostly to help reduce key risk areas in on-road riding, such as bend negotiation, overtaking, filtering, positioning and junctions.

The ERS training process
ERS training starts when you book an ERS assessment with one of the expert trainers from the Driving Standards Agency (DSA) voluntary Register of Post-Test Motorcycle Trainers (RPMT).
The assessment will identify your main strengths and weaknesses but there is no ‘pass’ or ‘fail’ - no test is involved and you cannot lose your licence. If your riding skills are satisfactory, the process ends there and you will be issued with an ERS certificate.
If you do need training, the trainer will prepare a personalised training plan for you and concentrate on specific areas needing attention, rather than taking a ‘one size fits all’ approach.
Once you've completed your training, you'll receive a report and a ‘DSA Certificate of Competence - Enhanced Rider Bonus’, which then qualifies you for an insurance discount.

How you can book an ERS assessment and training
ERS is delivered by accredited trainers who have passed rigorous training and met the highest standards of instruction before joining the RPMT. For our current list of trainers, click on the RPMT contact list below or telephone the DSA

Typical cost of ERS training
ERS tends to be conducted in two hour sessions with the cost currently varying from around £40 to £60 depending on the Trainer.

Four trainers were listed across central Scotland so I simply made a booking several weeks ago with the first one listed, nearest to home. Stupid me had not spotted the cost comments on the web page and even more stupidly had not discussed the cost before the session. I knew it would not be free, but I paid significantly more than the suggested price.
With hindsight, I should have guessed that I was unlikely to "pass" first time and get a cherished "Certificate of Riding Competence" and sure enough it was suggested that I needed some additional coaching time so that I could have a demonstration of some better riding lines followed by a final observation to confirm that I was now A1 level.
What a load of bollox.

The session started badly when (a) the rain came on VERY heavily and (b) the 1-way radio wouldn't work. We did enjoy a few dry spells during the 80 mile run, but we also got thoroughly soaked as I rode in the heaviest rain I've ever met and rode through some of the worst surface water I've ever met. At one point an oncoming truck threw up a tidal wave that totally washed over me.
However I was ultimately rewarded with a Band-B overall appraisal, meaning "Good level of riding ability demonstrated - Low to medium Risk". Plus my coveted "Certificate of Riding Competence" that is allegedly sure to find me discounted insurance at next renewal.

So. Having dried out, warmed up and now enjoying a beer, my objective view now is it was a waste of time. I certainly paid well over the odds for no real benefit. I've done IAM on 4 wheels and hesitate to rush in with that crowd again on 2 wheels. I find the need for these kind of coaches to toe the line on so many things makes the training very presciptive and somewhat unrealistic on today's roads. Today I rode so slowly so as not to lose my tail, it was almost distracting in itself.

This morning my wife was pleased to see me go as she read about 3 fatalities and 2 injuries on Scottish roads this weekend. I'm trying to set a good example to my son. I rode 200+ miles with him and 2 of his friends on Saturday (all 3 have 600cc road racer type bikes) riding without any scary moments. However, I really don't think young riders on sports bikes are going to accept the teachings of anyone who chugs along sedately in a hi-viz vest pontificating about vanishing points, dead zones and keeping off drain covers.

I read others' experiences riding with the police with interest and may try something else another day. Why did I do it in the first place? I admit that generally I'm a sunny weekend rider who rides purely for fun. Reasonably competent and confident. No road racer by any means. Have done BumWee offroad Level 1. And been on track twice, but not with GS. I now think I would get more from a real track school session with the GS to gain confidence in brisk road riding, i.e. cornering. Reading the sad news in today's paper, I concur with the suggestion that out of town crashes are often down to rider error, and I don't want that to happen. It is all too easy to arrive at a corner far faster than you imagine; and that's when the trouble starts.

I run a training school teaching all levels from CBT to Advanced skills and have purposefully not signed up to the ERS. I too agree it is a waste of time and money for experienced riders. It is set up more as a pass plus style.

I prefer to prepare my customers to the RoSPA test as this is a graded system that requires regular updates (either yearly or every 3 years dependant upon standard achieved) therefore keeping the riders skills up to date.

However i would strongly reccomend anyone looking for a bit of guidance to sign up for the Bikesafe course. It is run and regulated by the police and road safety departments and in my mind is well worth the pittence it costs. Good job guys! :thumb2

I've done IAM on 4 wheels and hesitate to rush in with that crowd again on 2 wheels. .

I did the IAM thing with TVAM a couple of years ago. I was very dubious having had some boring experiences with the 4 wheel mob.

However I was incredibly surprised at how good & friendly they were. They ran it as a bike club:thumb:thumb, rather than a 'pipe / slippers and afternoon nap' saga group.

Might be worth seeing what your local gruop are like. Ultimately whilst training is good, you need something that will pique your interest, so that you keep up the good practices.

Cheers

Dave#...

ERS

I followed a similar route earlier in the year, spent my hard earned on a full day session, to be told I had some faults. The cost of more sessions and location put a stop to that going any further.
Out one night I was handed a leaflet by a young kiddie for my local IAM open day, free to attend and be "observed" on a ride.

I was so impressed about the whole day and the way things were pointed out and how to correct them I signed up for the Skills for life course to improve even further. The final goal being the Advanced test at the end of the course.
Every 2nd week out and about, honing those skills and having my report card filled in at the end.
Certainly worth the money, certainly made me a better road driver/rider that my Mrs has noticed how smoother I am in the car.

I love telling here what is going to happen a few seconds before it actually happens in front of our own eyes.

My local motorcycle IAM certainly isn't pipe and slippers, lots of charity fund raising and marshaling events.

I did the IAM thing with TVAM a couple of years ago. I was very dubious having had some boring experiences with the 4 wheel mob.

However I was incredibly surprised at how good & friendly they were. They ran it as a bike club:thumb:thumb, rather than a 'pipe / slippers and afternoon nap' saga group.

Might be worth seeing what your local gruop are like. Ultimately whilst training is good, you need something that will pique your interest, so that you keep up the good practices.

Cheers

Dave#...

I had totally the opposite experience with TVAM and before that Wey Valley. While I see the need to get some form of training to try and stop me riding like a nonce at times, I am stuck at where to go, other than tell myself where I'm going wrong (usually, slow down a bit and concentrate more).

In short, I'm with Boxerboy55, which is kinda depressing, seeing as 3 people I know of on other forums have died on their bikes this year.

i do training part time - done it for about 18 years - all levels novice to advanced / examining instructors / done some research work at EU level, into WHAT makes training good, bad, indifferent.

FWIW,
so much depends on 'gelling' with the Trainer - finding one that
A./ lives here in the Real World.
B./ is not 'stale' and set in their outlook and is willing / able to adapt the training to what is presented in front of them.

you are paying for it - you call the tune.
regarding a formal exam;
while i will go as far as possible up the RoSPA scale, the first thing i establish is what the end user wants and expects out of this.
then tailor the session to fit.

anyhoo...
now i'm rambling :D

I've had 27 year involvement with the IAM...firstly in Warrington...and now with the Isle of Man group (which I helped to start). Always remember that the Observers who help you improve are all volunteers (many are out of pocket helping others become better riders). If you join a local group and take on a 'Skills For Life' course what you get out of it will be proportional to the effort you put in. A lot of work is going on to consolidate groups and examiners to create more uniformity within the organisation and QC/Audit of Observers, Senior Observers and Examiners is now very much a part of life for us. If you join a group/take on a Skills For Life course and you are not happy with the Observer, speak up, to the group or one of the regional organisers and it will get sorted. Things are changing for the better but it does take time. Above all improve your skills, be it with the IAM, ROSPA or many of the very good private (and much more expensive) companies, stay in one piece and enjoy your riding.

Boxerboy if you just want some pointers about how you could improve your riding, try a BikeSafe day. You can also take the youngsters with you. Run by motorcycle policemen they watch you ride in different areas (built up, fast roads, country lanes) and explain where you made any mistakes (if you did) and how you can do it better.

I found it very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom