Cracked Crank !

WindyChuffer

Reaction score
Following on from the starting problems I've been having as per this link Bahnstormer has had the bike since last Weds and sounds like they've been very thorough in their search for the root cause. So big thanks to them for their investigative work so far and getting on the case so quickly.

They've found a cracked crank :eek: :eek::eh:forry:banghead::bomb:confused:

FFS, the bike only has 20 hours on it !

Waiting on BMW Head Office now...

:blast :blast :blast

Whilst this is a major fault, I do struggle to see how this relates to the electrical problem I've been having, as the bike always starts on jump leads and runs fine, other than draining the battery whilst running. So whilst a major problem has been found, I'm not convinced we have got to the root cause of my problem yet... Haven't been able to speak to the technician on the job yet - hopefully he's back in tomorrow.

Once again, big thanks for Bahnstormer getting on it so quick and finding these issues.

Watch this space chaps, its gonna get interesting.

Depending on how old the bike is you may choose to reject it and/or ask for a replacement.

Back in 2002 (I think) I bought a new F650CS and at about 1400 miles (maybe 2-3 months) it developed an oil leak which turned out to be a porous crank case casting.

It was discovered late on a Friday afternoon and by Monday BMW had a new engine on its way. However I took the stance that I didn't want a bike that was this new that had to have the engine replaced. It would never be done without leaving 'tool marks' at the very least.

The dealer approached BMW who agreed to provide a brand new replacement bike. It was delivered within a couple of weeks. The dealer got to do the engine swap on the old bike and get the warranty value, and got a deal on the bike to sell as used (or new if you think about it!).

Everyone a winner. I was extremely impressed with the response from BMW (and generally speaking have been ever since).

It can't hurt to have the discussion.

Good luck.

Whilst this is a major fault, I do struggle to see how this relates to the electrical problem I've been having, as the bike always starts on jump leads and runs fine, other than draining the battery whilst running. So whilst a major problem has been found, I'm not convinced we have got to the root cause of my problem yet...

I agree.

However, 'cracked crank' might be an understatement. To find a crack, you'd normally use crack testing technology - which is not something you'd do if you were looking for a starting fault.

Perhaps they mean a broken crank?

Perhaps they broke the crank-end removing the generator?

More questions need to be asked!

Greg

I agree.

However, 'cracked crank' might be an understatement. To find a crack, you'd normally use crack testing technology - which is not something you'd do if you were looking for a starting fault.

Perhaps they mean a broken crank?

Perhaps they broke the crank-end removing the generator?

More questions need to be asked!

Greg

Yep. Am asking 'em for sure, but answers not available 'till tomorrow. No idea where the crack on the crank is or how it relates to my problem. But to get the stator off, it means dropping the engine oil according to the reprom, and the stator does indeed need checking as part of this problem. At a guess the "sump" has been dropped too, but no idea why.

Changing a crank is like...err...major heart surgery.

The more I think about the "non trivial" issues with this bike, the more inclined I am to tell BMW Finance to keep the bike... (my contract is with them as bike is on HP from BMW Finance).

Barge and Pole...............spring to mind

WC-did you read the thread from AdvRider, I put on here?

i had a broken temp switch, so the starting was not very good, the colder it was the more trouble starting and running, until the bike was good warm.

the bike has 2 temp sensor, one for the FAN and one for the fuell etc.
the fan sensor is replaced as a call back.
the other temp sensor was broken (it was 16 degrees celcius and acording to the sensor it was -6degrees celcius0.
after replacing it, never had a problem at all.

broken crank.......this was a demo bike?

Spoke with a lovely lady at BMW Finance.

I have now formally rejected the bike with BMW Finance, both verbally and in writing.

Folks now need to do their respective investigative work.

So we'll see what happens next.

Therefore its quite likely that an Akrapovic end can will be for sale quite shortly....any interest?

I have now formally rejected the bike with BMW Finance, both verbally and in writing.

Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear it's not worked out for you!

I take it you don't fancy another BMW??:augie

What next??

Nathan

Folks now need to do their respective investigative work.

So we'll see what happens next.

Therefore its quite likely that an Akrapovic end can will be for sale quite shortly....any interest?

Bad news about the bike, but maybe alls well if you don't have to keep it.

I stuck my Akra end can on ebay and I got £360 for it... cheap I know.

Open the auction upto europe as they pay a fortune for their parts ;)

Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear it's not worked out for you!

I take it you don't fancy another BMW??:augie

What next??

Nathan

I have no idea what to get. I really liked riding the BMW, and am a sucker for design features such as the output shaft and swing arm sharing the same axis blah blah blah. If I was offered a silly price for a brand new G450X, maybe another crack at the whip....clean slate and all that. Pavey's mob has had no issues with theirs and they've cranked on loads of hours. Or maybe orange sainsburys thingy or their other brand Husaberg. Dunno.

Whatever happens, am likely be stuck with just the GSA for a few weeks which to be honest am really enjoying off road having ridden it for 2 days with BMW off road school last week. I like a challenge... LoL.

I really liked riding the BMW, and am a sucker for design features such as the output shaft and swing arm sharing the same axis blah blah blah.

or their other brand Husaberg. Dunno.

The new engine layout on the 'bergs looks interesting :D

The new engine layout on the 'bergs looks interesting :D

If I were in the market for a brand new bike, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new Husaberg FE450 or FE570 with the inclined engine. They have had nothing but cracking reports!

My only surprise is that the engine won't be going into 2010 orange bikes.

Greg

If you like design features....wait for the new yamaha 450 its engine is upsidedown......

HAHAHAHA

ecaly its not upside down but reversed
check it out

9872dc46-c44c-425b-ab75-2b47.jpg

b3d18b52-1200-48b0-b042-a8fd.jpg

and offcourse the husa

DSC_7420.jpg

but still i like the beemer!!!!!!!!!!

Get a go on a 400 EXCR if you are thinking of swapping brands... very smooth power but plenty of it.

If your in North Yorks your more than welcome to have a blast on mine.

And dont forget the new husa 390!
smooth as a 400exc not so agressive as a 450 doesn tiere you out if youre on the long trails.

Back
Top Bottom