Mapsource Problrms

doctorsmudge

Reaction score
Right, bare with me. I usually do all my map planning on my 2650 unit. However, I'm off to France in a few days and I as the routes are quite complex I thought it would be easier to use the mapsource for the planning. However, using Metro Guide V9, or European City Navigation V5 when I put in a route and it draws it up on the screen, it seems to straight line over some parts, gives the route as the crow flies between some points, follows the route on others. Also when I download the maps onto the 2650 it states that the route does not match the available maps? I'm given the option to recalculate it or use it anyway, again with it straightlining parts of the route on the unit. I've loaded the same maps onto the unit as I'm using on the PC for mapsource so why is it straightlining parts of the route on the PC?
Any help much appreciated

had a simialr problem after much p*****g around even asking a guy from Garmin at a Touratech event which was almost a waste of time, I discovered it was a difference in maps(see point 2).

1. Make sure you have loaded the correct maps on your pc easy to get wrong.

2. This is the rub, if you look in the top left corner of mapsource it will tell you which maps you are using, this is where my problem lay. Mapsorce was defaulting to V8 maps and not using the v9 maps which where loaded on both my unit and pc. As you do upgrades the old maps lay in the background fully functional, these days I take the old maps off before I do a map upgrade.

Oh the straightlining is because the maps are different, or so it appears..

Hope this was of some help.

Thanks Shaun, is there a method for getting the maps off Mapsource, the maps on the unit are metro guide V9, so are the maps showing in the corner of the mapsource screen. I cant see a way of deleting everything from the mapsource program, not sure what the default ones are on this, may be city navigator V5

Thanks Shaun, is there a method for getting the maps off Mapsource, the maps on the unit are metro guide V9,

Metro Guide Europe is a strange choice of mapping for a 2650?

It isn't listed as compatible on the Garmin site?

Attachments

• ScreenShot054.jpg
    ScreenShot054.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 196
As much as it breaks my heart I'm going to have to delete all files, and the routes I spent so long making and reload everything with an acient V5 city navigator. I have the V9 disc but no unlock codes. I think the Metro Guide is the root of the problems as Whatton has pointed out.

Hope I'm not too late....

MetroGuide isn't routeable on a GPS device, only within Mapsource. However, utilising MetroWizzz you can make it routeable on the GPS.

Now you might wonder why bother? When I had my Quest there was a severe limitation that arose when Garmin introduced the v8 version of City Navigator, the tile sizes were so much bigger than they had been previously. With the fixed memory for storage of mapping data on the Quest (243MB) this meant that any medium sized trip abroad would be compromised as the route corridor would have far more off route detail that was surplus to requirement, this resulted in running out of storage space for a given longish route before reaching the end. MetroGuide retained the smaller map tiles as previously used and employing MetroWizz (I purchased the MetroGold version) enabled the use of this on my Quest. There was only one minor short-coming that I found, the audio instructions for roundabouts only recognised it as a junction, but otherwise it worked superbly.

However, I thought a 2650 had a CF card port allowing the fitting of a 2GB card which would hold all of Europe so I can't see the point in that case :nenau

Although if your only, or most recent, mapping data is MetroGuide then I suggest that you look into MetroGold which claims to be fully compatible with MetroGuide v9 (MetroWizzz isn't). Whilst this might seem like a cruel marketing ploy MetroGold is only $6 and makes the job so much easier integrating with Mapsource rather than being a stand-alone application.

Cheers Bumkin. I've got the program, I'm downloading the Metroroute back onto the unit whch is taking an age. I'll see later if the new addition to the programme works, so far so good. I'm showing the Gold upgrade in the Mapsource page, just need to see if I can make up the routes again. Thanks in advance if it does work.:bow

Stick solely to MetroGuide as your mapping, once you've uploaded the MetroGold adapted version to your GPS, do the route planning in Mapsource and upload using send to device command. You can still do the route plotting directly on the unit as well.

The only downside, as I mentioned, is that the audio announcements for roundabouts is a bit odd. Instead of saying "take the third exit off the roundabout" it'll say "turn right". When confronted by a roundabout a quick glance at the screen should verify the correct exit for you. Basically, I don't think MetroGuide has roundabout as a road type so it'll just see it as a junction, bigger ones might appear as one way systems. As I say, the screen will still tell the correct story if there's any ambiguity.

Bumkin, you're a star, :comfort, got the download, I only had to recalculate the old routes instead of doing them all again and it corrected itself. A real life saver. Metro Guide has more detail than City Navigator V9 I think. Cant thank you enough.:thumb2:bow

Bumkin, you're a star, :comfort, got the download, I only had to recalculate the old routes instead of doing them all again and it corrected itself. A real life saver. Metro Guide has more detail than City Navigator V9 I think. Cant thank you enough.:thumb2:bow

No problem, glad to help.

Right, bare with me. I usually do all my map planning on my 2650 unit. However, I'm off to France in a few days and I as the routes are quite complex I thought it would be easier to use the mapsource for the planning. However, using Metro Guide V9, or European City Navigation V5 when I put in a route and it draws it up on the screen, it seems to straight line over some parts, gives the route as the crow flies between some points, follows the route on others. Also when I download the maps onto the 2650 it states that the route does not match the available maps? I'm given the option to recalculate it or use it anyway, again with it straightlining parts of the route on the unit. I've loaded the same maps onto the unit as I'm using on the PC for mapsource so why is it straightlining parts of the route on the PC?
Any help much appreciated

You've drawn it as a route not as a track, a route will go point to point a track will go as you draw it. If you want it to be shown as you drew it convert it to a track

Back
Top Bottom